Why Isn't Hope the White Ball Captain?

West Indies cricket discussions
Maldini3

Unread post

Let's discuss.
He was the vc for the tour before the WC and should have been the next cab off the rank, but then the host of changes came and he hasn't even been named the vc even though he's easily our most consistent player. No one is even calling his name.
mikesiva

Unread post

Hope makes runs, but one red mark against his name is that he has one of the slowest strike rates among top six batsmen in world cricket, and that's an area he needs to improve.

The problem is that our ODI team doesn't exactly have a lot of contenders for ODI captain!
Maldini3

Unread post

He makes the team every time though and has proven in T20s that he can pick up the pace. I think Pollard is a greater ODI liability than Hope is with his strike rate.
mikesiva

Unread post

That's a valid point. I can't argue with that! I can't help feeling that our ODI side is so way behind the other big teams in so many ways.

For example, we concede way too many dot balls. Our batsmen are less adept at finding the gaps. Our running between the wickets is poor in this format, where it's important to converts ones into twos, and to put the pressure on the opposing fielders.
Maldini3

Unread post

Well we definitely agree there. We need to rotate the strike better. The best I'm seeing is Ambris when he gets a shot, Pooran as well, Hetmyer before this just hitting the ball in the air.