Chris Gayle, living it large, scoring nothing ... again.

West Indies cricket discussions
howzdat

Unread post

BallOil wrote:
mikesiva wrote::lol:
Very good, howzdat....
let's look at how our three West Indian batsmen performed in the BBL:
Pollard - 138 runs
Gayle - 137 runs
Samuels - 73 runs
Not a good tournament for all our guys with the bat....
what about the ball Mike?
Ball? Which ball? Now dat is a ball fit for a Dread!
DMan

Unread post

Was a very terrible tournament for all the WI involved though. Very poor returns with the bat for Pollard, Gayle and Samuels and with the ball for Narine. Not to mention all the controversies surrounding Samuels firstly with being accused again of throwing and lastly the physical confrontation on the field with the players.
howzdat

Unread post

DMan wrote:Was a very terrible tournament for all the WI involved though. Very poor returns with the bat for Pollard, Gayle and Samuels and with the ball for Narine. Not to mention all the controversies surrounding Samuels firstly with being accused again of throwing and lastly the physical confrontation on the field with the players.
:twisted: BIG UP MARLON SAMUELS :P :P :P
BallOil

Unread post

howzdat wrote: Ball? Which ball? Now dat is a ball fit for a Dread!
haha...good one.. Paul Keens-Douglas ah funny chap.. :)
howzdat

Unread post

A couple of updates.
West Indies tour of Australia, 1st ODI, Australia v West Indies at Perth, Feb 1, 2013.
4.5 84.2 mph, caught at second slip! short of length on off stump, leaves the batsman and bounces a touch extra too, it takes the shoulder of the bat on it's way to the slip cordon and Finch dives across and catches it in front of the first slip fielder, it carried at a nice height this one, a super catch to send the big man back 14/1
West Indies tour of Australia, 2nd ODI: Australia v West Indies at Perth, Feb 3, 2013.
1.4 88.0 mph, that's it! It's all over, Gayle talks to Powell and thinks about a review, Powell says no chance. It was full and swinging away, it pitched around off and Gayle was hit right in front as he got squared-up a bit. Starc strikes in his first over.. 10/1
West Indies tour of Australia, 3nd ODI: Australia v West Indies at Perth, Feb 6, 2013.
37.1 Faulkner to Gayle, OUT, all over sir, it's all over. CH Gayle b Faulkner 2 (5b 0x4 0x6) SR: 40.00 . 10/1
howzdat

Unread post

West Indies in Australia T20I Match. 13 February 2013 - day/night (20-over match)
1.3 86.7 mph, Coulter-Nile pulls off a blinder! This was short and he tried to pull this over mid-on, didn't look in full control, miscued, Coulter-Nile pedalled backwards as quickly as he could, cupped it with his left hand, fell backwards and still caught it, had to change direction slightly and yet hung on 11/1
mikesiva

Unread post

mikesiva wrote: I suppose we need to consider his age...he is 33, and given that his foot movement is minimal, he depends a lot on his reflexes, which would be starting to fade soon. It is possible we've seen the best of Gayle already.

But we probably still need to persist with him for now, since the options aren't all that great. Do we go back to the WETT (worst ever top three)?

Here's how the WETT performed in Tests in 2012....

1) Kraigg Brathwaite (three Tests, average 14.20)
2) Adrian Barath (six Tests, average 16.27)
3) Kirk Edwards (three Tests, average 11.66)

If those are the options, then I would like to persist with Gayle for 2013, and take it from there....
As I said above....

Gayle made more runs in the Caribbean T20s than any other opener, so IMHO he has that position for now. SImmons is a possible replacement, given that he's only opener who came close to Gayle.

As for ODIs, well, we'll see in this Super50 who comes up as a possible replacement. But Gayle has the position as opener against Zimbabwe ODIs in my books. If he doesnt' perform against ZImbabwe, then I think we can pick a player from the SUper50 to replace him for the Champions Trophy in the summer.

As for Tests, he was the best opening bat for the WIndies last year, and has that partnership with Powell which should remain for the Tests against ZImbabwe.

Gayle in 2012, four Tests, average 53.00

Again, if he fails against ZImbabwe, then pick an opener from dung heap to replace him for the Tests against Pakistan. So far, Devon Smith is the front-runner....
8-)
AFRO

Unread post

mikesiva wrote: As I said above....

Gayle made more runs in the Caribbean T20s than any other opener, so IMHO he has that position for now. SImmons is a possible replacement, given that he's only opener who came close to Gayle.

As for ODIs, well, we'll see in this Super50 who comes up as a possible replacement. But Gayle has the position as opener against Zimbabwe ODIs in my books. If he doesnt' perform against ZImbabwe, then I think we can pick a player from the SUper50 to replace him for the Champions Trophy in the summer.

As for Tests, he was the best opening bat for the WIndies last year, and has that partnership with Powell which should remain for the Tests against ZImbabwe. Again, if he fails against ZImbabwe, then pick an opener from dung heap to replace him for the Tests against Pakistan. So far, Devon Smith is the front-runner....
8-)
AGAIN, STOP LYING!!!...Powell got THREE TONS opening last year compared to Gayle's ONE good test match vs NZ in the first test, so how the feck you can suggest he was "our best performing opener" is just TOTALLY RETARDED!! :shock: , your excuses are simply pityfull and smacks of a man desperate to be proven right when the evidence is staring you in the face..YOUR SENIORS HAVE FAILED..FULLSTOP!!..you talk about "wett" that is utter rubbish, the top three now includes Powell and Darren Bravo, so if Barath joins then that is no "wett", also i'd suggest Gayle and Sarwan are now called the WUS!!..AKA WASHED UP SENIORS!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ,

It's obvoius Gayle is a spent force now and has lost all confidence, time to let him go and bring back one of di COTR!!..hopefully Barath will make a statement on Friday and Kraigg will get his act together in the next match!! 8-) .
mikesiva

Unread post

Powell in Tests in 2012, nine Tests, average 36.68.

Gayle still has the best batting average for Test openers in 2012....

On these stats, Gayle still deserves to open the batting in Tests against Zimbabwe. After that, well...we'll see.
AFRO

Unread post

mikesiva wrote:Powell in Tests in 2012, nine Tests, average 36.68.

Gayle still has the best batting average for Test openers in 2012....

On these stats, Gayle still deserves to open the batting in Tests against Zimbabwe. After that, well...we'll see.
RUBBISH!!.. he scored a ton and 50 in one test AND THEN FAILED IN THE OTHER THREE!!.. meanwhile Powell only opened against England, NZ and Bang, where he got THREE TONS, so how the feck you can claim Gayle was better is beyond me!! :lol: :lol: :lol: .

He's failed in his last THREE TESTS, FACT!!.. so he doesn't "deserve" anything you biased, english dunce!! 8-) .