Everton Weekes finally fails — out for 90.

West Indies cricket discussions
mortaza

Unread post

Everton Weekes, born February 26, 1925, was a one of the great Three Ws who made up the bulwark of the West Indian side of the 1950s. Sengupta recalls the life and career of the man who ended up with the seventh best average among all batsmen who have ever played the game.

A short, compact man with amazing artillery of strokes, he used to time the ball to perfection. He also had wonderful eyes and wrists. Blessed with the gift of getting into the ideal position for each stroke, he seemed to have several options for each ball — most of them attacking. Richie Benaud later recounted that according to many Australians who saw him bat, he was the closest in style to pre-World War 2 Don Bradman. When he called it a day, he was considered by many to be the most accomplished batsman amongst the hallowed trio — Clyde Walcott and Frank Worrell being the other two — aptly named the Three Ws.

Yet, his first steps into Test cricket, against England in 1958, were tentative and inauspicious.

At Bridgetown, Port-of-Spain and Georgetown, he had been moved up and down the order, sent out at the fall of the first wicket, pushed to open the innings and then dropped down to number seven. He had been troubled by almost all the English bowlers, and with a highest score of 36 in five innings, he did not really seem to hold much promise.
Indeed, he was omitted from the final Test match at Kingston, and managed to play only when the great George Headley had to drop out at the last moment. During the English innings he was relentlessly booed on the field, because the Jamaican crowd wanted local boy John Holt in the team.

Everton Weekes came in to bat at 39 for one and was almost immediately dropped by Godfrey Evans off Dick Howorth. The catch, if taken, might have signalled the end of his career. He latched on to this piece of good fortune with a display of majestic driving that had seldom been witnessed in the islands. Fifteen boundaries etched his innings as he piled up 141 runs and performed the dizzying alchemy of converting baiters into devoted fans. West Indies won the final Test by 10 wickets and took the series 2-0.

Read full story http://talkyuhcricket.net/forum/viewtop ... f=38&t=429
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

Sir Everton Weekes interview: 'I'm 93 - and my doctor has only just told me to stop swimming in the sea every day'

“I used to swim every day up to two years ago, at Miami Beach [near Oistins on the south-west coast of Barbados], but I’ve got high blood pressure and I’ve been advised not to go into the seawater because it can be very rough at times. I’ve missed it. But the doctor thinks drowning is not a very pleasant way to go.”
Last edited by MarcusGarveyLives on Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikesiva

Unread post

RIP the great man....
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

The funeral service for the late West Indies great Sir Everton Weekes will be held at the Kensington Oval in Barbados on 31 July 2020. He is to be buried alongside fellow greats Sir Clyde Walcott and Sir Frank Worrell on the University of the West Indies Cave Hill campus.

Dean at the St Michael’s Cathedral, Reverend Jeffrey Gibson, will deliver the sermon while Professor Hilary Beckles will read the eulogy. Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley is to read a lesson during the proceedings.

Tributes to Sir Everton will come from Cricket West Indies, the Barbados Cricket Association, The Legends of Barbados, The Empire Cricket Club, the Barbados Bridge Club as well as family members.

It is hoped that members of the current West Indies squad will also be in attendance. They are expected to arrive back in the Caribbean on 30 July 2020.
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

Brian Lara to be pallbearer at Sir Everton Weekes' funeral - others named here:

Brian Lara to be pallbearer at Sir Everton Weekes' funeral
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

"The rain could not stop countless Barbadians from saying their last farewell to the legendary West Indies and Barbados cricket icon, Sir Everton Weekes, at Empire yesterday ..."
Goodbye Sir Everton
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

Hilary Beckles: Sir Everton Weekes – a tale of two islands
" Sir Everton Weekes was yesterday immortalised as a “special gift of grace, gentility and greatness” and also hailed as a working class hero and nation-builder, as the country and region bid farewell to the West Indies legend who passed away earlier this month ..."
Windies legend Sir Everton hailed as revolutionary, nation-builder

The Official Funeral of Sir Everton Weekes, 30 July 2020