****Timescales for Pybus' Post Mortem****

West Indies cricket discussions
Mail

Unread post

I have advocated and advocate implementation of the Wilkins, WICB commissioned, Governance report as the non Cricketing structure is far too cumbersome.

I also believe the new incumbents have been far too slow in announcing changes and instead of keeping Gibson, as you should with all staff and Coach, on a short leash they have quite stupidly, in my view, extended his contract....not for year but 3 years!!

We see Coaches with integrity stepping down when they are unable to do anything for the team but no such thing seems to exist in the Windies, or does it?

I fully support the Cricketing structure appointing a Director of Cricket for all Cricket Development and accountability.

However do we know when to expect Richard Pybus to make known his findings and recommendations?
mikesiva

Unread post

THere will be no implementation of the Wilkin Report, or the Patterson Report, simply because that would mean the present set of incumbents would see their licky-licky power base eroded, and they want all the handouts for themselves....

Gibson is a failure who's had his contract extended. Toby Radford was a failure, because you're judged on results, and he left the Test team worse off than when he found it. I don't expect any miracles from Pybus either....

Instead, the WICB are just driving themselves towards irrelevance, because they answer to nobody. We have a generation of Caribbean people to whom the West Indies and Federation mean nothing. These youngsters are more interested in the progress of their national teams in the CPL than they are in the Windies, as can be seen from the crowds in the respective competitions.

The only thing keeping teams from going it alone is the ICC....
AFRO

Unread post

mikesiva wrote:THere will be no implementation of the Wilkin Report, or the Patterson Report, simply because that would mean the present set of incumbents would see their licky-licky power base eroded, and they want all the handouts for themselves....

Gibson is a failure who's had his contract extended. Toby Radford was a failure, because you're judged on results, and he left the Test team worse off than when he found it. I don't expect any miracles from Pybus either....

Instead, the WICB are just driving themselves towards irrelevance, because they answer to nobody. We have a generation of Caribbean people to whom the West Indies and Federation mean nothing. These youngsters are more interested in the progress of their national teams in the CPL than they are in the Windies, as can be seen from the crowds in the respective competitions.

The only thing keeping teams from going it alone is the ICC....
BWAHAHAHAHAH lord i have to wonder whether this old idiot actually ENGAGES his brain before he talks this crap!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1. what exctly did the team be it odi or tests do before radford arrived? we LOST in australia, LOST in england and LOST at home to south africa!!..so i'd love to know how much "better" we were before he became batting coach

2. you can't stomach the FACTS but i'll try and remind you...he came in and we drew the odi series with aus...we won six tests in a row...scored 300 in all three tests in england...won the t20 world cup...rose to top 5 in the rankings and players like Ramdin, Samuels, Darren Bravo, Powell etc were vastly improved...

Then the man leaves and what happens? IT ALL GOES DOWN HILL!!..but according to mr england that's toby's fault!! :mrgreen:

As for Gibson...he deserved he new contract for what he achieved before these last two series..this year there will be no excuses!!..the elephant in the room that was ammy shouldn't be an issue where the test side is concernd...so hopefully we will improve.
AFRO

Unread post

MAIL!...when i spoke to Pybus around christmas time he said he was just starting to get to work...so it could take a while before his report is finalised.
Mail

Unread post

AFRO/ Mikey,

Mikey I agree with you on the implementation of any recommendations as it will streamline the Organisation into a more effective and efficient shape but clearly that is not desirable.

I have to agree with AFRO on the improvements to the batting when Radford was around but whether that is coincidence, I know not. Samuels had been improved and it is only Ramdin I saw some marked change in and that followed his marriage. Ramdin's main weakness is his cutting too close to the stumps and he still has that weakness which would be exploited against bowlers maintaining a better line.

AFRO, I take your point about Gibson but in my view Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are givens so in my view not a major achievement. Australia were being restructured and NZ were in turmoil. The rise in the ranking was due to Pakistan's cock up rather than any affirmative action and it was short lived. To achieve a position it has to be sustained.

However a 3 years extension suggests major successes which i do not think Gibson has had.

I accept Richard will take time but I with respect to the India New Zealand tours, are we expecting to have some feedback on the performance and any changes?

I am thinking mainly of Sammy being relieved of his duties.
Mail

Unread post

Mikey/ AFRO,

Is there not a sort of duplication in the Windies Cricket Management with Pybus and Gibson?

In the case of England the Director of Cricket toured and co-ordinated all the Coaches.

Thoughts Gents?
AFRO

Unread post

Mail!!..but it wasn't just about the tests though was it? the T20 win was also a massive achievement and it was our first trophy in several years.

Anyway the last i heard pybus and gibbo was gonna have a meeting...i'm sure news will come out soon about what decisions they made.
howzdat

Unread post

****Timescales for Pybus' Post Mortem****?? Tek your time sah! WI got the most winningest coach running things till you tell all.
Mail

Unread post

AFRO wrote:Mail!!..but it wasn't just about the tests though was it? the T20 win was also a massive achievement and it was our first trophy in several years.

Anyway the last i heard pybus and gibbo was gonna have a meeting...i'm sure news will come out soon about what decisions they made.
I note your points with great attention, per normal.

Simply I do not rate Gibson having been a great advocate when he was appointed.

Yes it is not just about tests but West Indies have not even maintained their ranking in the T20 format, have they?

If positions are not sustained for a meaningful period of time then it seems pointless.

Strategically, had they won the World Cup it would have been more of an achievement as it is more aligned to tests and tests is what it is all about isn't it?

Any team can win T20 games on the day as it can be 'techniqueless', without discipline and imagination. I know the victory was food for the region but that format does not tell me the cricketers are improving with technique, concentration and industriousness.

Players heads rolled after the World Cup but he seems exempt! Why?

I can understand a years extension but not 3!

Just my views.
Mail

Unread post

Even as a supporter of the Director role I would have expected some sort of report/ statement prior to another series.

Any news boys?