Time to go it alone...

West Indies cricket discussions
Gils

Unread post

Congratulations to Ireland & Afghanistan!
Indeed congratulations, and commiserations to the british west indians who, for as long as can be remembered, have retarded, malnourished and maladministrated Jamaican, Bajan, Guyanesse, T&T, WWI and LI cricket to the point that Ireland and the Afghans now stand above all six on the world stage.

The most consistent defence of bwi cricket by those who lack vision, assorted hangers-on, stooges and BL's for its' continuation is, the infrastructure of the 6 regional boards is not good enough, the 2nd most common defence is that the international cricket crooks were opposed to change and intent on maintaining the status quo, the 3rd was the financial viability of new nations.

Ireland and Afghanistan clearly do not have the same level of infrastructure as 4/6ths of regional associations and the financial benefits both bring to the international calender are clearly inferior.

:?: Without a doubt we are now entering a new era in world cricket, the status quo has shifted, is cwi's antiquidated nature of operation able to recognise this or then make the necessary adjustsments to ensure Ireland and Afghanistans rise up the cricketing ladder over the last 10 years be checked.....
fangspoon

Unread post

I haven't really studied the consequences of going it alone but I must say I feel more pleasure in watching my country,Guyana,play than West Indies. So a big part of me wishes we could go it alone even if it means only playing the likes of Hong Kong, Nepal etc.
Gils

Unread post

I welcome the time when I can watch Guyana competing on the international stage with full member status Fangspoon. So long without it for the country with the 1st ground in the Caribbean, 1884, is a tragedy IMHO.

Watching the current ODI home series Vs India, and the stats, we see another tragedy as India display far and away the more accomplished pace bowlers, just as they did last time they visited. To those who are comfortable with this arrangement I direct you to the state of the pitches in the region and CWI's inability to produce a truly world class pace bowler in over a generation.

With that in mind now consider how many times CWI's leading pacers - Gabriel from T&tT, Cummins and Holder from Barbados and Joseph from the Leeward isles, - have actually played cricket at Sabina Park - or any of the other four territories in the region they are not native to - and how by this inherent unfamiliarity with 'foreign conditions CWI's 'home team advantage could never be fully realised. IMHO this issue is much overlooked but of such great significance many will dare to ponder.

With Ireland and the Afghans rise to full member status we see the old arguments for CWI's existence being dusted off and regurgitated to infinity with no appreciation for the continental shift that has just taken place in the world of cricket. Like CWI I fear this is a situation those 20th century thinkers of a certain age and disposition will struggle to come to terms with or reject lock stock and barrel, which of course remains their right. Having witnessed them struggle with T20's rise over the last 10 years I've no doubt this new development will cause similar discomfort.

Competitive value and ICC opposition to new members have undoubtedly become irrelevent points of discussion while the financial benefits $55M brings to Irish and Afghani cricket is in print.

On the 124th anniversary of the Honourable Norman Washington Manley's birthday, for those who wonder how it all came to this, I offer you a first hand account into the conception, operation and subsequent dissolution of the West Indian Federation by the man himself and another chance to re evaluate where you may have misstepped......

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
howzdat

Unread post

Gils, I have been exploring some of the thought associations that arise when I think about the British West Indies term you have coined. In a nutshell, it might be a rather curious key to all that we see going on in West Indies cricket. A word that springs to mind when exploring the idea of a West Indies team in today's day and age is 'anachronism'.

Question: In 2017 just what is it at stake when the players gather together under the banner of West Indies? Definitely not National pride nor any kind of unity of colour,race or creed. It can be argued that the idea of a West Indies was of great relevance prior to the outbreak of independence for many of the region's nations.

Massa has long gone but the further we move from the days of struggle to break free from servitude and assert independent nationhood the more we see that there exists a cadre of folks all too eager to demonstrate that they learnt well the lessons of exploitation, usury and inability to serve the game as worthy caretakers.

Guyana should be the first to say goodbye to the British West Indies setup
Gils

Unread post

anachronism
əˈnakrəˌnɪz(ə)m/Submit - noun
a thing belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists, especially a thing that is conspicuously old-fashioned.
the action of attributing something to a period to which it does not belong.
I'm in full agreement when applying this to the current stand alone cricketing entity.

When speaking of a Federated West Indies with freedom of movement, free from inter island tariff chargess, coalesing around a single currency, unified judicial, legislative and executive branches and the like then I dont accept that term as applicable, such an entity I believe would have been wholly appropriate. Both then and today.

The understanding and definition of British West Indies/West Indies, before it metamorphosizes into what we presently know as the BWICBC, is where most peoples perceptions, mission statements and practical expectations clearly depart, and the confusion takes over. ( History repeating )

Answer in 2017 : Securing another contract, financial fredom = eating a food. This answer doesnt provide much detail but speaks directly to an important issue, money.

These caretakers may well be predispossed to a degree of self interest but : the problems one or more individuals create within a unit hinders its operation only when the unit they function within is unable - or unwilling - to reduce or eliminate their detrimental effects on the output of said collective. Or when and if that one, or more individual, holds absolute power.

NW openly stated his aim of Federation alongside his differences with Bustamante, Adams and Williams, in doing so he showed a willingness to engage each of their different perceptions and expectations, as I'm sure did Busta, Adams and Williams. He is also shown stating before talks began that achieving a predetermined goal is much more difficult to achieve if that goal is not of equal importance to each individual within the collective prior to commencement.

I share that sentiment, which I think brings, me at least, neatly upto the present day where the few remaining BWI cricket fans demand success on the field first and foremost but BWICBC administrators place greater emphasis on cashing ICC checks.
It didn't go unnoticed, by me at least, that these checks they collect, and the benefits that come with them, are not shared equally among the collective while they enjoy freedom of movement around the region, tariff charge waivers, tax exemptions and submit to no jurisdiction bar ICC. Further, over the last 80 odd years, before the Federations conception and long after its passing.

Far be it for me to cast my opinion onto the ideologies of these Honorable ancestors but, as the Federation never achieved anything close to what the BWICBC have managed and considering the struggles each Head of State must have been faced with from their respective constituents I'm almost certain Mr Adams, Williams, Manley & Bustamante would label todays CWI as buccaneers.
buccaneer
bʌkəˈnɪə
nounhistorical
plural noun: buccaneers

a pirate, originally one operating in the Caribbean.
"the marauding buccaneers who used to terrorize the Mediterranean coasts"
synonyms: pirate, marauder, raider, sea rover, freebooter, plunderer, cut-throat, privateer,

Viking, bandit, robber, desperado; More
a person who acts in a recklessly adventurous and often unscrupulous way, especially in business.
"the company might be a target for an individual buccaneer seeking power and prestige"
Now ask yourself, who would lose most from a federated region, not BWICBC....
mikesiva

Unread post

Gils and howzdat well said. Given the level of indifference shown around the region to the latest embarrassing loss it seems no one cares about west indies test cricket any more.

We might as well.
AFRO

Unread post

mikesiva wrote:Gils and howzdat well said. Given the level of indifference shown around the region to the latest embarrassing loss it seems no one cares about west indies test cricket any more.

We might as well.
And you would know being in ENGLAND, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

And what do you expect REAL Caribbean people to do after a loss exactly? Burn down we cricket grounds? :roll:

We've got the youngest team in test cricket who lost away to a good side!!..England are also getting trashed in Australia, what are you England fans doing? creating petitions to get the tour canceled? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Googley

Unread post

England are also getting trashed in Australia
and Australia usually gets trashed in England. Whats your point??

All Sundries beating up on WI...including Afghanistan!!!!!!!! :oops:
mikesiva

Unread post

Exactly, Googs....

We got thrashed 2-0 in Tests, 3-0 in ODIs, and 2-0 in T20s.

We might as well go it alone. We can't do worse than this sorry bunch....

As things stand, a lot of Caribbean fans don't care any more. They're just waiting for the CPL to come around, so they can cheer for their favourite team, which, by the way, AfCrow, is not the West Indies any more.
AFRO

Unread post

LOL unnu still not getting the memo? THE ICC AND CARICOM WILL NOT ALLOW THE WINDIES TO "GO IT ALONE", AS THE WINDIES, AS A MASSIVE NAME IN THE WORLD OF CRICKET, WITH MORE HONORS THAN ALL BUT AUSTRALIA, CANNOT AFFORD TO BE LOST. So please chill and either support, find another sport to follow, or in Mike's case, SUPPORT YOUR OWN COUNTRY!!..the choice is all yours 8-)