Jason Holder appointed West Indies ODI Captain

West Indies cricket discussions
mikesiva

Unread post

Holder comes across as a Sammy-like WICB lackey, who doesn't take well to criticism....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-30/w ... tion=sport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'In an era when West Indies cricket is shambolic on the field, its administrators and managers intently match that absurdity in the wider world....After Mohammed suggested to a Barbadian radio station that the Australians trained more intensely than their guests, Simmons descended into a sulk and declared that his players would no longer co-operate with the one home journalist still interested in their exploits....The matter itself is not world-changing. What matters is how badly it reflects on West Indies cricket. Here is the indignity of a broadcaster who has undoubtedly earned respect being forced to sit on the sidelines like a chastened schoolboy. Here are staffers thinking their feelings of affront should affect other people's lives and livelihoods....The same board oversaw the disappearance of its outspoken critics, Tony Cozier and Michael Holding, from local television, although president Dave Cameron fatuously blamed the move on Cozier's eyesight and Holding's England commitments. "As usual, Mr Cameron is being a stranger to the truth," Holding fired back....The ABC's Australian commentators, former Test batsmen Chris Rogers and Simon Katich, were more plainly spoken. "I think it's a really immature thing for the West Indies to do. To blacklist someone - come on. We're all adults here, and you've got to take a little bit of criticism," Rogers said. "When you're a professional athlete you can't be immune to it. It hurts, but a lot of the time that's what drives you. To just put your head in the sand is not the right way to go about it. You have to embrace it." Katich added: "I'll back you up. What I saw of their practice and the intensity on the ground, I'll see better at my club practice in Sydney."...Two days after the ban was angrily decreed to Grandstand, a few conciliatory noises came from the West Indies camp and by the fourth evening Mohammed conducted the post-match interview with captain Jason Holder. But the problems were still evident. Holder looked around inquisitively at other staff as though asking whether he should co-operate with the interview, then gave an audibly rattled Mohammed a string of the most insultingly peremptory answers, like Holder was speaking at a school assembly and wanted to get through it as quickly as possible....At this point, a nonplussed Rogers intervened and Holder was immediately more considered and expansive in answering his questions. The display was a genuine disgrace, from a leader who is supposed to be one of the good guys. It only shows the detriment that toxic politics can be to a young captain who is not yet sure of his own position.'

Does anyone seriously think this West Indies team is really going to improve, with this behaviour?

These guys have a problem with handling criticism from their own, but Rogers was much more scathing than Faz in his criticism, and yet Holder had no problem talking to Rogers...plantation mentality.
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

Rather than diverting the subject matter away from the appointment of young Holder to a leadership role at this stage of his career, I wondered what the local reaction had been to the issue I raised a year ago, which in turn, has now been raised by "legends"?
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

"And if the bowling was poor, the captaincy tried to out suck it. After tea, the hardest time to bat in pink ball matches, England's two best batsmen had to face the might of Chase and Holder. When the new ball was due Roach, who was in the middle of an excellent spell, was taken off so that an injured Holder could bowl, and then when he couldn't finish his over, Chase came back on. Did I mention that all this happened with Dawid Malan was new at the crease, trying to save his career? When the new ball was finally taken, it was largely because if they didn't take it Stuart Law was about to storm the field. And the next over Kraigg Brathwaite, and his part time offspin, bowled. The last two overs of the day, with a ball that was six overs old, were also bowled by Brathwaite and Chase.
Source: 1st Test (D/N), West Indies tour of England at Birmingham, August 17-19 2017: Roach a glimmer amid ragged and wayward West Indies

Do I need to worry about young Holder's one-day (or test) captaincy credentials?

Just asking.