Jason Holder appointed West Indies ODI Captain

West Indies cricket discussions
WIndiesFans.com

Unread post

ST JOHN’S, Antigua – The West Indies Cricket Board today announced that all-rounder Jason Holder has been appointed West Indies One Day International Captain. The 23-year-old Holder takes over from Dwayne Bravo.

Read full article...
BallOil

Unread post

Jason Holder audio | New ODI Captain

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa –Jason Holder was on Saturday named as captain of the West Indies One-Day International team. The 23-year-old takes over from Dwayne Bravo.

Holder’s first assignment will be the five-match series against South Africa, which starts on January 16. The six-foot-seven-inch fast bowling allrounder has so far played in 21 ODIs and has taken 29 wickets. He has also appeared in one Test and a T20 International.

Holder spoke to WICB Media after his appointment was announced. Details for the download of the audio from this media opportunity are below.

[soundcloud][/soundcloud]
badpepper

Unread post

Morons.
Mail

Unread post

I would appreciate, if anyone believes in this move, to explain the logic to me.

I am all for thinking outside the box.

In my view Holder's bowling has gone backwards, he has not developed pace and he is not accurate enough!

He had not really cemented aplace in the ODI team and his 21 games have been very average at best!

This move, especially with aworld cup coming up, seems suicidal and perhaps vindictiveness for the Indian withdrawal!

The case in favour of Holder is said to have been proposed and promoted by Lloyd! Do you reckon this is the case or Lloyd is being used as a patsy?

Oh WICB how I wished this incarnation well!
BallOil

Unread post

Holder is Sammy 2.0... The puppet master needs a new toy for Christmas.

Holder could hardly mek the playing XI. He is still learning his trade and WI trying to bury him with responsibility.

This move could very well be payback for the India pullout which the WICB said that there wouldn't be victimization. lol b
bossman19TT

Unread post

BallOil wrote:Holder is Sammy 2.0... The puppet master needs a new toy for Christmas.
My thoughts exactly :|
AFRO

Unread post

Mail wrote:I would appreciate, if anyone believes in this move, to explain the logic to me.

I am all for thinking outside the box.

In my view Holder's bowling has gone backwards, he has not developed pace and he is not accurate enough!

He had not really cemented aplace in the ODI team and his 21 games have been very average at best!

This move, especially with aworld cup coming up, seems suicidal and perhaps vindictiveness for the Indian withdrawal!

The case in favour of Holder is said to have been proposed and promoted by Lloyd! Do you reckon this is the case or Lloyd is being used as a patsy?

Oh WICB how I wished this incarnation well!
I simply cannot agree Mail. Jason is a very talented kid who has done very well for the odi side which is why he averages in the 20s with the ball. He can also bat well down the order which he proved on his test debut. He's still developing his bowling and he has all the tools to be another Morkel if he works hard as the kid can swing the ball both ways and get massive bounce.

I hope he plays the next test actually as he can't do any worse than that skunt Taylor!!!...Dwayne Bravo is merely money driven and should never wear the WI shirt again!!!..so i'm happy with this decision...Kraigg will soon be named the test captain aswell...watch the ride...these wukless losers are getting weeded out one by one 8-) .

FORWARD!!!!
mikesiva

Unread post

AFRO wrote:

FORWARD!!!!
How do you define "forward"? By producing results more comparable to 1928 than 1988?
:lol:
It seems that while some players are no longer being considered as ODI players, they are still in the reckoning as T20 players....

West Indies One Day International Squad
Jason Holder (Captain)
Sulieman Benn
Carlos Brathwaite
Jonathan Carter
Sheldon Cottrell
Narsingh Deonarine
Leon Johnson
Chris Gayle
Denesh Ramdin
Andre Russell
Marlon Samuels
Lendl Simmons
Dwayne Smith
Jerome Taylor
15th member to be named shortly

West Indies Twenty20 Squad
Darren Sammy (Captain)
Sulieman Benn
Carlos Brathwaite
Dwayne Bravo
Sheldon Cottrell
Andre Fletcher
Chris Gayle (subject to fitness test)
Jason Holder
Ashley Nurse
Kieron Pollard
Denesh Ramdin
Andre Russell
Marlon Samuels
Lendl Simmons
Dwayne Smith

All selections are contingent upon players signing the Match Tour Contract.

I have no hope for the ODI side, but the T20 side looks good....
Gils

Unread post

How do you define "forward"?
Revolving around 360 degrees :!:

The one West Indian to qualify for the ICC's ODI team of the year can't even make an 8th ranked WI squad of 15.
Mail

Unread post

AFRO,

Points taken and duly noted.

However I am not disputing Holder is talented but he has not cemented a place in the team and Captaincy may not necessarily aid his progression. He is at the start of his career and he needs to develop his game without the burden of Captaincy.

I know my concern about Holder's development (since the U19 World Cup has not increased his pace and accuracy etc) have been discussed previously and you are not of that view.

Given Holder is in the squad, he has a great opportunity to play in the second test as neither Cotterell and, especially, Taylor were particularly effective! Taylor has been so disappointing.

It just seems to me to exclude Bravo and Pollard is a reprisal for the Indiangate affair and to go into a world cup without these players is quite silly. Do you support their exclusion and if so, kindly say why?

I did not see the need to have a change in Captaincy at this point anyway.