BWICBC

West Indies cricket discussions
mikesiva

Unread post

The Buccaneers continue to worship mediocrity from England....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/ ... 76782.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'WICB has appointed Johnny Grave as its new chief executive. Grave, who is serving his notice period at the Professional Cricketers' Association in England, where he has been employed as commercial director for the last nine years, will assume the WICB role from February. The position of the WICB CEO was left vacant once Michael Muirhead stepped down on October 14 last year, although he continued in the role until December at the request of the board.'
Gils

Unread post

All aboard the gravy train, destination Antigua for yet another good ole jolly up.

I wonder what type of links from Surrey he has with the english PR company that now recruits BWICBC employees....
howzdat

Unread post

And there i was giving Johnny a whole topic for himself! Ah well
mikesiva

Unread post

"Cameron has been re-elected for a third consecutive two-year term as WICB president. Cameron was the lone nominee for the position, and received 12 votes at the WICB Annual General Meeting on March 26 in Barbados. Emmanuel Nanthan, WICB's vice-president for the last four years, was also set to be re-elected for a third consecutive stint in the position."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/ ... 89216.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More feeding on the gravy train, more drinking champagne in Dubai, more parasitic leeching of West Indies resources, while the West Indies teams continue to fail....

But I'm not worried. Soon it will be track season, and my attention will be diverted to more successful West Indians. So, the Buccaneers can go on pillaging a product less and less fans are watching.
:P
Gils

Unread post

The Economic Cost of Cricketing Union.

Jamaica has hosted 65 days Test cricket from 2000 - 2015, that's just over 2 out of 180 months.

In that same time the buccaneers have offered opportunities to 19 Jamaican cricketers to appear at the test level.

Franklyn Rose 1997–2000 Nehemiah Perry 1999–2000 Ricardo Powell 1999–2005 Wavell Hinds 2000–2010 Chris Gayle 2000–2014 Marlon Samuels 2000–2012 Leon Garrick 2001 Jermaine Lawson 2001–2005 Daren Powell 2002–2009 Gareth Breese 2002 Carlton Baugh 2003–2011 David Bernard 2003–2010 Jerome Taylor 2003–2016 Xavier Marshall 2005–2009 Donovan Pagon 2005 Dwight Washington 2005 Brenton Parchment 2007–2008 Chadwick Walton 2009-2017 Andre Russell 2010–2011

Opportunities given to each territories nationals added to the total number of days Test cricket in that particular territory provide definitive numbers regarding the financial benefits, or lack of, that the buccaneers provide each of it's members........of which costs are always deducted.

Over the same period the Test cricket allocated to other members of the 'union is in one case no more than 6 weeks.

Bridgetown 16
Kingston 13
Port of Spain 11

*Georgetown 5
*Providence 2

St Johns 8
North Sound 3
Basseterre 3

Roseau 4
Gros Islet 4
St George's 2
Kingstown 3

If ODI and T20! figures are added then it should also be noted CWI abdicated their responsibility in 2013 to develop T20 players when they sold out to foreign investment. As this is the major financial component in Caribbean and World cricket it becomes easy to dismiss the alternative facts that are presented to support the continuation of this colonial attachment to 19th century England.

Add to that stagnation of 4 day cricket attendance, sponsorship, interest and/or coverage under buccaneer stewardship & a wry smile becomes more difficult to subdue.
Gils

Unread post

So, the private company have now hosted 50 tests at Sabina Park since the first in 1930.

Which is 250 out of 31 755 days, that the BWICBC have charitably assigned to Jamaica in the last 87 years, competitive value and weather accepted.

The event itself was notable for a few other reasons, empty stands and another cutass for the home side but not least the untimely dropping of the sole Jamaican on BWICBC’s Test team, Jermaine Blackwood, who it appears they are not so eager to ‘invest in.
Being a private company, it could be argued they should never be swayed by this type of selection process but on reflection it stands at odds with their monotonous claim to be an agent of unity in the Caribbean.

Financially, less than one year’s cricket over the last 87 has little impact on the Jamaican economy, in fact it seems BWICBC cricket has already proved a burden the Jamaican taxpayer is no longer willing to underwrite. " When we go to the governments in the region, they’re all begging (for) West Indies cricket, except Jamaica and that is a reality “. BWICBC President Dave, the big eidjat, Cameron, December 2017.

These sentiments were reinforced live as we witnessed the ground staff, who failed to keep water off the pitch due to inadequate equipment, burning hot coals over corrugated metal in an attempt to get play restarted. The absence of such basic equipment means the finances of the Jamaica Cricket Association will naturally come into question and these enquiries will ultimately lead you back to the buccaneers who control their purse strings, the BWICBC, who it is reported are due $132m form the ICC over the next 8 year cycle.

Which should be more than enough for the JCA to cover the cost of new covers, while still allowing the bureaucracy enough liquidity to continue expanding, so private profits aside, who are they unifying if no one attends the cricket.……….
mikesiva

Unread post

The Buccaneers have really destroyed Test cricket in Jamaica....

Yesterday, as I queued at Victoria Mutual Building Society, an elderly man in front of me said that he doesn't watch West Indies cricket any more, because it's a Barbados team! He only watches IPL and CPL.
:lol:
Today, as I drove to Kingston, I was listening to the third day's play on KLAS FM. Then, they broke the coverage for something the radio station, and Jamaican sports fans, thought was more important - coverage of the Champions League semi between the two Madrid teams!

At the passport office, I saw two guys watching sport on their phone, and I mistakenly thought it was the cricket. I asked them what the score was, and they said, 1-0 to Real.
:mrgreen:
In the evening, driving back from Kingston, I listened to a radio discussion programme on KLAS FM about athletics, and one presenter stressed the importance of not becoming complacent, because, "We don't want Jamaican athletics to go the way of the West Indies"!
On TVJ Sports, the leading news items in order of importance were....

1) Arnett Gardens upsetting Montego Bay United in the semis of the local football competition.
2) Real Madrid beating Atletico courtesy of a Ronaldo hat-trick.
3) Panama beating Paraguay in beach soccer.
4) Mike Fennell stepping down as chairman of the Jamaica Olympic Association.
5) Paula Radcliffe criticises European Athletics attempts to re-write world records.
6) Local netball round-up.
7) Local boxing Contender series.
8) Jamaican entries in the triathlon in Miami.
9) West Indies vs Pakistan Test day three.

So, beach soccer, local netball, local boxing, and triathlon news were seen as more important than West Indies cricket....
Gils

Unread post

How's everything Mike, living like a King I hope :D :D

I'm not surprised to see your experience's, they remind me how my sister dismissed them so matter-of-factly after I made a particular observation about results/organisation, she barely acknowledged them - :lol: so funny. And you know this issue is not exclusive to Jam down./

Are the yutes all still wearing replica english and spanish football jerseys or can some now be found in maroon ?

I'm not sure if we spoke about this some years ago but do you think some sort of a Caribbean cricket app could revive interest, restore some form of relationship with the disengaged..... it could be a good business opp - considering that BWICBC will never explore the possibility, unless foreign finance shows interest.
mikesiva

Unread post

Not exactly living like a king, but the friendliness in the society is certainly royal.
:D
It's been sunny in the morning, so the beach has been the place to go at that time of the day. I'm off to Hellshire again tomorrow morning, while the Windies try to stave off defeat.
8-)
It's rained in the afternoon every day so far, but I'm not complaining, because it has cooled down the day.

Yes, my wife's grand-nephew wears an Arsenal shirt, and is also keen on Barcelona and Bayern. When I asked him about the West Indies, he said, "Who?"
I suspect that what we're seeing in Jamaica is happening throughout the Eastern Caribbean. And while I think that app would be a good idea, the lazy trough-dwellers probably won't even try an innovation. They're complacent with the decline of Windies support.
mikesiva

Unread post

I'm at Norman Manley airport, waiting for my flight. There is one TV screen, and it's on TVJ. I asked the bartender if he'd consider switching it to CVM, so I could watch the cricket, and he just kissed his teeth, and said, "Nobody wan' watch this fool-fool West Indies team!"
:lol: :lol: