BWICBC

West Indies cricket discussions
Gils

Unread post

Buccaneers With the Intention to Continue Backra Culture
howzdat

Unread post

Nice one Gils.

Till i opened the thread I was working on British West Indies Cricket Ballsup Culture ....Backra will do
mikesiva

Unread post

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Gils

Unread post

Caricome nah feel dem needa

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Car ... -dissolved" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

While the apologists insist the money they bring is vital to the regional economy, chupes.

JA has hosted 13 tests in the last 15 years going back to 2000, that's 65 days out of 5400. Financially I fail to see how so little use of Sabina park over such a long time period can be vital to the JA economy, or how said apologists would have the gall to suggest so in public.

Without looking I'm almost certain Barbados & Antigua have been awarded more international test cricket over that same 2000 - 2015 time period.

As equal partners there was a presumption, from myself, ( foolish some would say ) that all members receive an equal distribution of profits and/or equitable share of benefits, as well as providing equal contributions and sharing equal resposibility.

The LICA boards failure to produce a quality player for the BWICBC 1st XI in 17 years added to the disproporionate amount of development funding they receive show's how applicable that ideal is at factories rd.

Barbados fielding two teams in regional competition for so long also proves this truth.

Nevertheless, hosting 65 days ( maximum ) of international test cricket I'm led to believe is more than enough for JA cricket & brings more finance than ICC cricket at the associate level, apparently.

This self hating mindset & colonial compliance helps ensure New Zealand, a nation of comparable size, population and cricket infastructure to JA, receive at least three times as many test dates over the same 2000-2015 period - while federali Caribbeans of a low mentality claim JA ( and all other sovereign Caribbean nations ) should never play cricket above fc level - the level afforded to club, province and state teams the world over.

And then those same 19th century thinkers who wilfully stifle their fellow Carbbeans desire to express their nationhood on the global stage, turn around & ask why Caribbean cricket is so underdeveloped.....
Gils

Unread post

This slavish continuation of backra culture and 19th century thought sees federali Caribbeans, subconscious or not, willingly assign greater importance to a New Zealand vs Ireland/Afghanistan fixture than they do to Jamaica vs Barbados/Leewards.

Subsequently placing an invisible ceiling on any potential growth they remain unable, or afraid, to explain why they give Ireland/Afghanistan greater status than the very Islands they originate from, & claim to hold in high regard.

This backward thinking is so widespread you even have Caribbeans swearing blind WI can only make profits playing as a region - EVEN AS BRITISH WEST INDIAN CRICKET IS RUN AT A LOSS :oops:
Gils

Unread post

They will even tell you test cricket is dying out, but will never admit it's dem help murda it.

Long format cricket use to be a live spectator sport, over time it has gradually become tailored to a television audience. In this digital age the paying customer who would turn up at the venue has been replaced as the major source of income by multinational broadcasters & branded advertisers. The governing bodies (like good corporations) have tailored their operations accordingly, even if you've heard different.

Clive Lloyd
It's expensive for West Indies to hold test series.We can't fill the stadium. We don't have the amount of people to do so.
Dave Cameron
We currently have a deficit of about US$5 million...our business model is always around playing those teams ( England, Aus, India ) as much as possible,
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/WI ... n_19236447" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

As we've all seen, two tests series' in empty stadiums are the norm for teams like BWICBC 1st XI regardless of how much they hope to play England, India and Australia. It's clear their priorities as the president informs us, lay outside the long format & is set around the drawing power of the players globally.

" the business model, Cameron said, involves more than securing revenue from home series "
" We complete our season by the end of March so that we can allow our best players who are in the cash-rich IPL T20 to go off and make money "
Although not unexpected it's far from honest of him not to mention the 10% fee the BWICBC receive for each players participation but you dun know already.

All that plus the ICC non performance / guaranteed TV payments arrangement world cricket enjoy's makes it easy for me to question their long term commitment to developing players, better pitches, improved umpiring, better training facilities, long format cricket or Caricome reforms - after all, if they really were committed to all that it would have happened already.

Since 2000 they have played just four 5 match tests series', the last was 6 years ago - Eng 2000, SA 2001, Ind 2002, Eng 2009. Over the same time frame the BWICBC 1st XI has played five 4 match series, the last being nearly 9 years ago - Eng 2007, Ind 2006, SA 2005, Eng 2004. ( Eng 2004 was home & away )

So Australia either haven't received that memo or are impartial to said business model, while India have played BWICBC in a 5 test series only once in the last 13 years. England seem to love coming to the Caribbean at every opportunity, which might go some way to explaining the following numbers.

From 2000 - 2015 the hosting of tests, by territory, is as follows

Bridgetown 16
Kingston 13
Port of Spain 11

*Georgetown 5
*Providence 2

St Johns 8
North Sound 3
Basseterre 3

Roseau 4
Gros Islet 4
St George's 2
Kingstown 3

The list confirms Barbados (16 tests / 80 days) & the Leewards (14 tests / 70 days ) were, as I suspected, allocated more test cricket than Jamaica over the period in question.

During the same time New Zealand have hosted 61 test matches or 305 days of test cricket,..while WI remain dumbfounded, dazed and confused as to how they could develop so many good quality young cricketers while 43 of the last 47 BWICBC batsmen have failed.

All this leaves a situation over 15 years where, Jamaica, of comparable size, population & cricket infastructure to NZ but probably more sporting tradition, host 65 days test cricket & play at the demeaning fc level while the kiwis host 305 days test cricket & play at the celebrated international level.

Separate and apart from those who approve of this in silence/ignorance are the colonial Caribbeans who understand the inequality of this circumstance but still attempt to pass this off as right and exact. Before going on to claim the finance these 65 days bring is vital to the Jamaican economy, without ever quantifying the claim.

These were the associate divisions last time I checked

One - Afghanistan, Ireland, Scotland, UAE, Hong Kong, Papua New Guinea

Two - Kenya, Namibia, Canada, Netherlands

Three - Nepal, USA, Uganda, Bermuda, Malaysia, Singapore, Bermuda

Afghanistan made the progression through divisions 3 - 1 in two years.

I believe they played home & away fixtures vs all teams over that time. My calculations tell me that adds up to more cricket per year, and finance, than the 65 days in Kingston that have been granted over the last 15 years under BWICBC stewardship.

:?: So why do these apologists keep telling me BWICBC cricket is essential to Caribbean life/finance but never push the same argument for athletics, football or netball, over 5 decades

Simon Lister & Sampson Collins explain " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Gils

Unread post

We currently have a deficit of about US$5 million...our business model is always around playing those teams ( England, Aus, India ) as much as possible,
Since 2000 West Indies have played England 27 times, Australia 22 times - including the recently concluded Hobart humbling & India 20 times.

Over the same period England & Australia have met 50 times.
Gils

Unread post

BWICBC seek legal advice. http://ow.ly/VO0uh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

" Anthony Waddy Astaphan SC has been hired as an advisor for the CARICOM report "

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mikesiva

Unread post

Gils wrote: These were the associate divisions last time I checked

One - Afghanistan, Ireland, Scotland, UAE, Hong Kong, Papua New Guinea

Two - Kenya, Namibia, Canada, Netherlands

Three - Nepal, USA, Uganda, Bermuda, Malaysia, Singapore, Bermuda

Afghanistan made the progression through divisions 3 - 1 in two years.

I believe they played home & away fixtures vs all teams over that time. My calculations tell me that adds up to more cricket per year, and finance, than the 65 days in Kingston that have been granted over the last 15 years under BWICBC stewardship.

:?: So why do these apologists keep telling me BWICBC cricket is essential to Caribbean life/finance but never push the same argument for athletics, football or netball, over 5 decades
Big arguments in favour of going it alone....
Gils

Unread post

" West Indies Cricket Board’s (WICB) Vice-President Emmanuel Nathan says the WICB is in constant dialogue with the CARICOM Committee on Cricket and are mindful that there is a ‘disconnect’ between the fans and WI Cricket as a result of the poor performances on the field ".
But as BWICBC VP, and cricket administrator for over 20 years, he refuses to suggest the absence of the most marketable players, the lack of complete coverage, sub standard pitch's, PCL matches which finish after 120 overs, the lack of commercial partners & poor umpiring standards could have in anyway contributed to this state of events.
“We are prepared to make some changes as we did following previous Governance Reports. However, on the basis of a corporate review and legal advice, only the Shareholders of the WICB can dissolve the Company- the WICB. And similarly only shareholders can appoint new Directors to the Board, whether they are independent or shareholders directors,” informed Nathan.
" We are privateers but, will now listen to your suggestions ... again " :!:
" The Cabinet in Dominica, headed by Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit, this year appointed Nathan as Director of the Citizen by Investment Unit, while he is also a Director of the WICB and a member of the Dominica Labour Party. "
Isnt the one full time position enough :?: Wavell is learning from the best of them :!: .
“The opportunity at professionalism is being provided at a time when the Shareholders of West Indies Cricket, i.e. the six Territorial Boards are under attack to dissolve the WICB because some CARICOM Governments and their Academic Functionaries believe that what is being undertaken here is obsolete, and is not addressing the requirements of a modern world of Sports as a business,” said Nathan,
BWICBC already accepted culpability when he said " We are prepared to make some changes as we did following previous Governance Reports " so the buccaneer bluster can only be for show, or habit
" The WICB Director said to his knowledge, professional cricket is established in all major ICC countries and in the State Education there are not many Sports Academies established by Governments in all or any of the Caribbean States. "
Appearing to subcontract out particular elements which arent best suited to an operation such as their's would be one thing, being incapable of managing the wuk for years on end only to then completely abdicate responsibility for the mismanagement indicates a level of honesty is absent from their skillset or the incompetence is at an advanced stage.

To now be declaring that the state is responsible for that which they have been custodians over for so long, & have proven wholly incapable of doing, while still seeking to receive the benefits is not a workable solution going forward :!: .
"Early education in sports in schools is the responsibility of the State ".
This is the VP of the BWICBC telling you this & you have the free will to either believe or disbelieve what he says at your leisure.
"The responsibility of training to achieve successful performance and results for National teams in regional and international sports is the responsibility of the Governments,” Nathan said. "
I agree, but he is still reluctant to place a figure on the exact cost, to each state & government, for developing players from U 5 to U 15 level. Maybe he thinks it unimportant.
"Nathan believes that building a Stadium by a Government is not enough for human resource development."
Essentially he's looking another private club subsidy for the international sports team :!: added to the 9 decades utilization of 10 sovereign country's most precious natural resources, it's people, should only alarm those with a basic understanding of west Indian history, politics, civil rights etc...

Mr Nanthan is quick to cite the state and government sponsored cricket programs of the 8 other test playing nations when it suits his position but will be the last to tell you they are all sovereign nations - do you also get the impression these people would talk around FC status for international teams in perpetuity, or is it just me :?: .

To be perfectly honest, I - the cyberspace poster named Gils - see it as just another politician who probably figures he's due a next 20 years at the trough of colonial expedience that is factories rd, but will admit I've been known to be wrong before.
" He feels that teaching of skills, values and competitiveness is the foundation of human development, and when undertaken successfully, results in Nationals putting their Country on the world map through elite performance and results " .
Me too, but I learnt from school age that West Indies is not a real country, and that private companies operate solely to make profits for their shareholders, most commonly to the detriment of human development :!:

The teaching of " values & competitiveness " & all the emotional stuff Mr Nanthan hopes to lure the romantic's in with may have sounded good as an election promise but you won't find anything like that on any private companies balance sheets either, even those companies who perpetually make a loss, like the BWICBC.

I do however, agree with the sentiment, 100% - Nationals the world over should always want to put their country on the map :!: , at every turn, national flag, national anthem and all dat - so now I just need to know when the BWICBC become a functioning component in that dynamic :?:
“It costs the WICB about One million US dollars to train a cricketer from the Under-15 level to the elite level in international cricket "
I wont ask for a breakdown of that figure as I feel they would probably have to commission yet another report to look into it, but I am now compelled to ponder on :?: what, exactly, an elite BWICBC player is.

Only 3 of the last 47 BWICBC batmen have exceeded a 40 ave & only (1) bowler has consistently kept his ave below 25 for any length of time in the last 2 decades of BWICBC 1st XI cricket.
" Eighty-seven percent of all amounts spent by the Wind wards and Leewards in age group tournaments is represented by Accommodation costs, Air and Sea Travel costs and the cost of meals for players who are away from their homes. No wonder on an annual basis the Windward's and Leewards are always at the bottom of the table in the early rounds of the Regional Competition,” Nathan said.

Nathan informed that all funding is by the National Associations and the WICB, funds which ideally should be spent on training and development to result in better performance on the field, adding that this issue is not a Governance issue but one of resources to finance more and better training for better elite performance. "
Looking around the sporting globe I see only countries who were never British colonies or are completely alien to cricket as a cultural expression display such a level of detachment from it. North Korea, South Sudan you take your pick.
“Did the Academics look into this? Are the Nation States encouraging cricket in the communities,” asked Nathan
It sounds like he really just wants to set up another committee & expand the enterprise even further to me, but I've always held silly notions like it's the BWICBC responsibility to look about BWICBC business.

Perhaps he might propose QC Wilkin or EX PM Patterson draft another report, into these logistical resource issues he suggests have such a negative effect on the Leewards and Windward's PCL performance's. :geek:
"I say all this so you can understand the costs of the opportunity, which you have been offered through the opportunity of the Professional Cricket League,” said Nathan, who has been involved in cricket Administrator for the past Twenty years.
Sounds like " the only way to God is through Christ " :lol:

Stealing the seniors money to facilitate home and away PCL fixtures while A team tours got cut is doing who a favour :?: He really is over egging it a bit much with this opportunity foolishness - he obviously wants his cake and eat it ;)

They've sold off the most financially viable version of the game three years ago, to a set of foreign investors so to try and now come across as some sort of guardians of the holy grail, bestowing gifts on the needy & downtrodden :?: Please, basic maths shows 6 times more opportunity's open up to Caribbean cricketers once BWICBC are removed from the picture.

http://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2015/ ... -dissolve-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"