President's XI v Pakistan at Florence Hall on Apr 15-17

West Indies cricket discussions
mikesiva

Unread post

"Left-hander Kieran Powell was in line for a return to Test action after being named in WICB President’s XI side to face Pakistan in a three-day game starting in Jamaica next weekend."

Shamarh Brooks (captain), Vishaul Singh (vice captain), Rahkeem Cornwall, Jahmar Hamilton, Shimron Hetmyer, Kyle Hope, Damion Jacobs, Keon Joseph, Kieran Powell, Raymon Reifer, Kemar Roach.

"The game bowls off on Saturday at the Trelawny Multi-Purpose Stadium, located 45 minutes outside of the bustling tourist hub of Montego Bay."

http://antiguaobserver.com/powell-hope- ... s-snubbed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AFRO

Unread post

Well this will be the team..

Hope
Powell
Hetty
Brooks
Singh
Reifer
Hamilton wk
Cornwall
Jacobs
Roach
Joseph

Imo that's a very good line-up they've chosen. It's actually the A-team currently. Good to see Kemar is fit enough to play and Joseph has been very consistent lately. Also big chance for some of the batsmen and spinners to step up now.

Jacobs and Cornwell the spinners, Joseph, Roach and Reifer with the pace...so that's a very good blend in the attack. The batting also goes all the way down to eight which is good to see.

I've heard the selectors are keen to keep the test squad as close to the one that won the last game against Pakistan so I'd expect to see Kraigg, Blackwood, Johnson, Chase, Dowrich, Hope, Holder, Gabriel, Alzarri and Bishoo there. The positions up for grabs are obviously Bravo's and Samuels. There are whispers flying around about Ambris but I'm not sure if that's true at the moment because no question Hope is most likely to replace Samuels and they might just push Johnson down to three to replace Bravo and just pick a new partner for Kraigg. They are much more likely to sway in favour of experience than a newbie right now I think. And Johnson/Hope have experienced over someone like Ambris.

BUT, if a kid like Hetty hits a big score in this match or Singh regains the form he showed a last year then they will no doubt be picked.
Maldini3

Unread post

I find it strange that no one is mentioning Kyle Hope in the test squad, when he has the most runs, has transitioned to leading the T&T team and still scoring, has transitioned to opening, which the WI needs and is not his natural position and still has the most runs in the competition.

Runs this weekend should seal his place, but he certainly should be on the tip of everyone's tongue based on performance and the role he is filling and certainly ahead of Keiran Powell right now, who has no FC runs this season to speak of.
mikesiva

Unread post

It seems to me that in this President's XI, Kyle Hope is competing with Kieran Powell for a slot in the Test side...a good score by the older Hope in this match could cement his claim. At least, I hope that's the way the selectors are looking at it!

But Leon Johnson, Afro? Seriously? Are the selectors seriously looking to retain him?
:?
If so, he should be in this President's XI, because he's done zilch in the PCL!
mikesiva

Unread post

Guyanese batsmen made Pakistan toil on the opening day of their three-day warm-up match in Trelawny. Shimron Hetmyer, who captained the West Indies team to victory in last year's Under-19 World Cup, hit a quickfire 97 from 115 balls, while Vishaul Singh made a more sedate 81 not out from 150 balls. Kieran Powell announced his credentials for a possible Test recall with a knock of 58, in the President's XI total of 311-5. Pacer Mohammed Amir has taken two wickets to date.
mikesiva

Unread post

Vishaul Singh hit a patient 135 not out from 234 balls, as the President's XI made 411 all out, on the second day of their three-day match at Florence Hall. Allrounder Raymon Reifer made 45, while pacer Mohammed Amir was Pakistan's best bowler with 3-66. Medium-pacer Reifer then took two wickets to reduce the Pakistanis to 129-4 at stumps, Ahmed Shehzad hitting 53 not out.
mikesiva

Unread post

Meanwhile, at the Greenfields stadium, the three-day match ended in a draw, with the President's XI holding the upper hand. Legspinner Damion Jacobs took 4-45, and there were two wickets each for pacers Kemar Roach and Raymon Reifer, as they dismissed the Pakistanis for 192 all out. Ahmed Shehzad made 55, and Sarfraz Ahmed a round 50, but the other batsmen missed out. Kieran Powell then hit an unbeaten 84 to pave his recall to the Test side, as the President's XI closed on 152-2.