Afghanistan tour of the Caribbean, June 2-14

West Indies cricket discussions
howzdat

Unread post

howzdat did not wrote:As background to all of the stuff I wrote hoping that there is someone out there able to tell me what we will learn by selecting Powell in these matches! He already had a 'stellar' season in the regional competition but yet still stunk up the place in the international fixtures! Ah well we will see. I note that before he goes out to bat in this match he has an ODI average of 25.97.
... And sometme later on ... Terrific delivery this. Late in-swing, gets this to bend back in from off stump, Powell is late on the forward defense and is hit on the pad first before it slid onto the bat. Enough for the umpire to be convinced it was in line with the stumps. As plumb as they come. Afghanistan couldn't have asked for a better start KOA Powell lbw b Dawlat Zadran 2, West Indies 3/1 after 13 balls!
I do NOT enjoy being so predictable; it is soooooooooo bad for my reputation!
PS: Thanks to cricinfo.com

PPS: Powell did NOT improve or even match his ODI average :oops: :oops: :oops:
howzdat

Unread post

Postby howzdat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:03 pm wrote:Too many West Indies batsman "pressure on the opposition" is seen to be hitting fours and sixes. If they remain short of boundaries for any period of time the opposition knows that they will get THEMSELVES out.

At international level is not nincompoops you are batting against! So to my mind as a batsman I had better develop respect for my batting by showing due respect to the bowling! As a bowler I would give Charles an over of 5 sixes if I know that because of his greed & brainlessness I will have him caught on the boundary sixth ball!

COTR coming fast??? When was he selected & how many games did Joseph play? Why didn't that Powell get a game? I will predict that Afghanistan will not be in the least fazed by playing this current West Indies. Maybe Joseph might be selected to play from the first game in the hope that he will intimidate the opposition and set the tone for the 'series' however why didn't he play more against the British? Was somebody afraid of intimidating the Britishers with a bit of pace?

Anyway the future is not yet so we will have to wait and see what happens cos Afghanistan & Simmons soon reach!. For now though I can say is come what may I will still LOVE cricket. I wish all of the young upcoming players luck
What was that all about? oh yeah it was a bit of garbage about Afghanistan & Simmons soon reach!

Afghanistan tour of West Indies, 1st ODI: West Indies v Afghanistan at Gros Islet, Jun 9, 2017
Afghanistan 212/6 (50 ov)
West Indies 149 (44.4 ov)
Afghanistan won by 63 runs
Last edited by howzdat on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikesiva

Unread post

The west indies bowled well dismissing Afghanistan for 212 so we can't blame the bowlers. Nurse took 2-34 and there was one wicket each for Gabriel Joseph holder and Cummins. Javed ahmadi made 81. Better than any west Indian batsman.
:roll:
The west indies were bowled out for 149 by legspinner Rashid 7-18.

Hope made 35 but the rest of the batsmen were a bunch of failures in this B team. At least the A team can beat Afghanistan.

Lewis 21
Powell 2
Mohammed 7
Chase 0
Carter 19
Holder 0

The worst west indies team ever! No wonder the stands were empty.
AFRO

Unread post

mikesiva wrote:The west indies bowled well dismissing Afghanistan for 212 so we can't blame the bowlers. Nurse took 2-34 and there was one wicket each for Gabriel Joseph holder and Cummins. Javed ahmadi made 81. Better than any west Indian batsman.
The west indies were bowled out for 149 by legspinner Rashid 7-18.

Hope made 35 but the rest of the batsmen were a bunch of failures in this B team. At least the A team can beat Afghanistan.

Lewis 21
Powell 2
Mohammed 7
Chase 0
Carter 19
Holder 0

The worst west indies team ever! No wonder the stands were empty.
The so called "A-team" lost to the Afgans at the t20 world cup, so please cut the crap. The bottom line is we're at our lowest ebb right now and If our JAMAICAN president doesn't stand up to be counted then this ship is gonna sink further into the ocean :evil: . Narine, Pollard, Samuels etc are all there but they've been ignored because of that bullshit policy RP put in place about having to play in the super 50. Carlos and Charles are also decent performers in 50 overs but are nowhere to be seen.

Then we have the silly Bravo situation and it's no wonder we're losing games like this. The youth competitions are still second rate and we have no u23 competition for our under 19s to continue their development once they leave junior cricket. We in the PM keep banging on them mans door and telling them what needs to be done but the same f#cking answer keeps getting spewed!!..."finances". So we tell them to link up with Canada and the USA for our PCL so we can get better sponsors!!..Davey runs his mouth at the AGM last year saying "We're talking to those boards about doing a deal"..but still nothing has been heard since then :roll: .

I also disagree about our attack!!..they let far too many runs go in those last eight overs and that happened in the t20s aswell!!..when will they understand how to bowl at the rass death? The whole thing is a mess...Law is trying his best but the tools he is being given are pathetic. Jimmy and Groves better work dem magic because tbh I'm sick and tired of talking to dem directors right now tbh!! :twisted: .
howzdat

Unread post

What are the chances of West Indies losing every game against the Afghans?

On the evidence I have observed on this forum, the so-called Progressive Movement is in a bit of a jam, literally and figuratively. You see, since a long time now West Indies cricket has been evidently broken, and so to jump up in a song & dance at the occasional triumph is to be distracted by frills while the rot beneath the surface spreads inexorably.

As with all hangers-on and die-hard parochial types, the Progressive Movement appears to be little more than a bunch of tub-thumpers genetically and socially engineered to unerringly tune into whatever is the prevailing windage being propelled from the mouths & expelled from the bums of whoever it is that is in charge or looks likely to be in charge. Glory by association is the mantra for this type because at their core they have nothing original or dare i say Progressive to offer.

The 'item' being cared for is of little consequence except for that it confers a mark of prestige upon the bearer and the gathered groupies; and so it is in fact little more than a vehicle for self promotion. It is naught but a trinket to be hawked about for personal gain ... AND personal gain is the raison d'etre behind all they opt to cleave to.

I have now concluded that we are yet to see the depths to which West Indies cricket will plummet, and quite honestly that is a shocking proposition for a cricket-loving supporter of the West Indies. As the man said as he left the room, angrily slamming the door behind him. FAKITOL to West Indies cricket under this lot ... and to borrow some words & sentiments from a well know calypsonian, Captain this ship is sinking! however I is one body that don't reckon that the Progressive Movement is any the wiser regarding what needs be done!

:twisted:
Last edited by howzdat on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFRO

Unread post

howzdat wrote:What are the chances of West Indies losing every game against the Afghans?

On the evidence I have observed on this forum, the so-called Progressive Movement is in a bit of a jam, literally and figuratively. You see, since a long time now West Indies cricket has been evidently broken, and so to jump up in sing & dance at the occasional triumph is to be distracted by frills while the rot beneath the surface spreads inexorably.

As with all hangers-on and die-hard parochial types, the Progressive Movement appears to be little more than a bunch of tub-thumpers genetically and socially engineered to unerringly tune into whatever is the prevailing windage being propelled from the mouths & expelled from the bums of whoever it is that is in charge or looks likely to be in charge. Glory by association is the mantra for this type because at their core they have nothing original or dare i say Progressive to offer.

The 'item' being cared for is of little consequence except for that it confers a mark of prestige upon the bearer and the gathered groupies; and so it is in fact little more than a vehicle for self promotion. It is naught but a trinket to be hawked about for personal gain ... AND personal gain is the raison d'etre behind all they opt to cleave to.

I have now concluded that we are yet to see the depths to which West Indies cricket will plummet, and quite honestly that is a shocking proposition for a cricket-loving supporter of the West Indies. As the man said as he left the room, angrily slamming the door behind him. FAKITOL to West Indies cricket under this lot ... and to borrow some words & sentiments from a well know calypsonian, Captain this ship is sinking! however I is one body that don't reckon that the Progressive Movement is any the wiser regarding what needs be done!

:twisted:
Look, you can be angry with what's happening to our cricket right now, But I will defend myself and my colleagues in the PM all day If I have to. The fact is WE are the one's who've thought hard to effect REAL CHANGE within cricket structure in the Caribbean. We fought for the PCL, we fought for the HPC, we fought for more games in the super50, we've fought for more coaches to be coaching our men and women's teams etc etc. And we continue to fight for more. But old habits never die young..many of the people in the board have been there for years and are happy with the status quo.

There are big holes in our structure around the region that need filling but it's gonna take determination and for all the islands to come together in the name of turning this ship around. Like I mentioned before the youth structure is simply not good enough. We've implemented the PCL which is starting to bear a little fruit...but the youth competitions remain lacklustre by comparison and that is the next area that needs desperate attention otherwise we will continue to churn out subpar cricketers.

Also there is a clear inbalance when it comes to the individual structures in the territories. Guyana are making brilliant moves, they have their 3-day franchise league, a good 50 over and t20 competition and have just created an impressive u19 competition aswell as good school competitions. Plus they have academies aswell. The Barbados structure has always been top class right through from school cricket up to senior level too. And everyone knows the Trinidad structure is perhaps the best we have in the region..they pretty much have all areas covered in both men and women's cricket. Then you look at Jamaica and it's night and day!!..they are simply POOR!!..and the same is true about the Leewards and Winwards regions!!..Leewards are trying their best though and are building things up slowly at least. We need those three cricket boards to get their standards up to what the other three are doing IF the regional team is to ever get back to where we were 20 years ago.

And in closing, yes, many of we living good!!!..but that's not because we're "milking" west indies cricket. We in the PM work hard and are trying to effect change one day at a time. Things are bad right now and lord knows what will happen when we face India and England!!..but the fact is we just won THREE won titles in a row last year...so lets not act like everything has been bad in recent years. And at least we're trying to change things for the better!!..it's very easy to sit behind and computer and run gums!!!..if you or others feel like you can do better than we!!..then step up to the plate :roll: .
mikesiva

Unread post

Afro you are right to criticise the bowling. It's just that right now the batting is worse than the bowling.

Now that you have suddenly realised that Cameron is all talk and no action you suddenly remember that he is jamaican!
:lol:
We have been trying to tell you that Cameron was no good for years. But if he's no good why doesn't anyone challenge him in the elections? The answer is that the system is corrupt. Things will only change when you lot embrace what Patterson said about reforming the structure of the CWI to include more Caribbean organisations. But the trough dwellers won't do that because it would dilute their stranglehold on the limited resources.

So instead one day matches are played in front of empty stands in st Lucia while tens of thousands pack the national stadium in Kingston to say farewell to Usain bolt. The only cricket Caribbean folks are interested in these days is the CPL. Cameron has made west indies cricket his own and as a result Caribbean cricket fans have hit back saying you can keep that dying product you corrupt. ...

Folks saving money for the CPL and they are right to do so.
mikesiva

Unread post

Rovman Powell in for Miguel Cummins.

Noor Ali caught and bowled holder for eight.

Javed run out for nine. Two down.

Rahmat dismissed by Gabriel for one. Three down.

Shenwari lbw Gabriel for two. They don't have reviews for this series.
Gabriel limps off injured, again.
:?
Stanikzai out to Joseph for 13. Five down.

Joseph bouncing them out. Nabi out for 13.
:lol:
Zazai out to chase for nine. Seven down.
howzdat

Unread post

Afghanistan tour of West Indies, 2nd ODI: West Indies v Afghanistan at Gros Islet, Jun 11, 2017
Afghanistan 135 (37.3 ov)
West Indies 138/6 (39.2 ov)
West Indies won by 4 wickets (with 64 balls remaining)
Once again KOA Powell did not manage to better his ODI average which now stands at 24.91. The successful chase was built around Shai Hope's 48 not out. Following his 7 for 18 in the first game, Rashid Khan took 3 wickets for 26 runs in his ten overs.

The series deciding 3rd ODI will be played at the same venue as the second, Gros Islet in St. Lucia on Jun 14, 2017. I reckon that West Indies will be severely tested if they have to chase down anything more than 190.

Good luck
mikesiva

Unread post

Afghanistan 135 all out. Gulbaddin 51. Nurse holder Gabriel and Joseph with two wickets each.

That was hard work...Shai topscored with 48 not out, and Lewis made 33, but the list of batting failures continued:

Kieran Powell (12)
Carter (2)
JaMo (2)
Chase (9)
Rovman Powell (17)

It was up to Holder to provide some batting support to Shai, with 11 not out. Leggie Rashid Khan did the damage again, with 3-26.
:?
The series might be 1-1, but Afghanistan giving this 'B' team some serious competition...that's our level, as far as 50-overs cricket is concerned.