Meet Jofra Archer - the man with all the attributes England

West Indies cricket discussions
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

Meet Jofra Archer - the man with all the attributes England need, who is in danger of slipping through the net (click for more)

"It all invites the tantalising thought of what he could achieve in international cricket – and though the West Indies have not yet spoken to Archer, they intend to do so soon ..."
mikesiva

Unread post

Archer and Jordan make more money playing county cricket than they would playing international cricket for the west indies.

If he accepted a call from the west indies he would then become an international player and that could jeopardise his county cricket contract. Right now he plays for Sussex as a local player because of his British passport due to one of his parents or grandparents being British.

It's as simple as that.
howzdat

Unread post

Jofra Archer: Why has an IPL team just paid £800,000 for a little-known cricketer?
On the advice of Barbados-born England and Sussex bowler Chris Jordan, Sussex gave Archer a trial on the south coast after Jordan netted against Archer while playing in the Caribbean country.

"He hadn't been looked after particularly well in the West Indies,
suffering with injuries, and he came down with Chris and we had a glance at him and saw there was talent there," Greenfield said.

"We also saw a lad that needed a lot of help because his back was in pieces really.
howzdat

Unread post

Jofra Archer: All-rounder 'doing the maths' to achieve England 'dream'
Sussex all-rounder Jofra Archer says he is "doing the maths" to ensure he qualifies for his "dream" of playing Test cricket for England.

Barbados-born Archer, 22, is not eligible for England until the winter of 2022, when he will have completed the seven-year residency period.

He needs to spend 210 days a year in England to complete his residency.

"I think I have a longer career in England than I would have in Barbados," he told Stumped on BBC World Service.

Archer, who was sold in this month's IPL auction for £800,000, impressed in Australia's Big Bash League with his pace and athleticism in the field.

He says he is able to manage the tournaments he plays in to ensure he meets the qualification criteria.

... Not playing Test cricket too young is a blessing'
Archer, who grew up in Barbados, played three times for West Indies under-19s but was left out for the World Cup in 2014.

His Sussex team-mate Chris Jordan, who was also born in Barbados, has gone on to represent England in Test and limited-overs cricket.

"It was really upsetting and I think I took it too seriously. That summer was the first summer I went to England," said Archer.

"After playing with Sussex, I really think the conditions in England suit me. I saw that it's possible to play for England."

Archer, who will be 27 by the time he qualifies to represent England, said the experience he will gain over the next five years would help him be more confident in his game.

"I'm still young now so I think it's a blessing really, not to play so young. Who knows - I could have a bad game or a bad series, and that could be me," he added.

"It's really good that I have some time to get to know my game inside out before I actually play Test cricket."

Archer has attracted increased attention since England lost the Ashes in January, with former England spinner Graeme Swann saying he is a "player to get excited about".

"I live with my bowling coach at the moment, so hopefully this year I can get my family over to come and see some of the [T20] Blast, some of the four-day stuff," he added.

"I hope to get my own place so I can bring most of my family over and let them experience some of England."

Jofra Archer will play for Hobart Hurricanes in the Big Bash semi-final against Perth Scorchers on Thursday. Commentary will be available on 5 live sports extra. You can hear more from Archer on the weekly cricket show Stumped on Wednesday.
Googley

Unread post

he should thank his lucky stars that things happened the way they did...all in his best interest.

The geniuses at WICB were busy at the trough to recognize the kid's talent. :lol:
howzdat

Unread post

Thanks Marcus.
A talent in demand “In the UK everyone will be saying ‘get him in early, he’s English and he wants to play for us’,” says Grave. “In the Caribbean, everyone is saying that he played for the West Indies age groups, he played for the Barbados age groups and he was born in Barbados. To everyone here, he’s Barbadian.
There in the highlighted section we see the bare-faced hypocrisy of the English establishment take on things of this nature. Good luck to Jofra.
Gils

Unread post

The private co disguised as an International cricket team holds less appeal than a club side.

The days of Gordon Greenidge are over.
AFRO

Unread post

Of course Massa Mike gine want him to play for England for OBVIOUS reasons :D . But the fact is WE raised that kid and he came through OUR systems in the Caribbean. Yes he was disappointed not to get selected to play in the u19s world but let's be real, you know who took his place? A young man unnu might have heard of called ALZARRI JOSEPH!!, it was just a matter of Zarri being better than him at the time, that simple. He then had a lot of injuries which hampered his efforts to get into the Bim senior team. So then he calls up the SELLOUT that is Chris Jordan and of course Chris encourages him to be a sellout like him, and this is the situation we are in right now.

The fact is he would make good money playing for us where he could establish an international career and also play in all of the big t20 competitions INCLUDING the CPL. Staying in County for the next four years would be stupid imo and just mess up a promising career because we all know English cricket is very fickle and will not tolerate him for long just like with Jordan.

The CEO is pushing our case and we will see how it goes. He would be playing in ALL three international formats, all of our domestic competitions, plus the t20 big bash and IPL, anyone who thinks he would be paid well is simply an IDIOT!!, fullstop 8-) .
howzdat

Unread post

... But when asked the question he confirmed datzhow, "his dream is to play for England", So it looks like h is quite content to wait till he is 27 before turning out for internationals... in the meantime ....