Poll: PP widens leads over PNM for local elections

Political updates and debates...
socafighter

Unread post

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,124211.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The latest of an ongoing opinion tracking poll being conducted by the North American Caribbean Teachers Association (NACTA) shows the UNC-led People’s Partnership (PP) widening its lead over the PNM in popular support giving the ruling coalition the advantage to win the July 26 Local Government Elections.

According to NACTA, the poll’s findings show that the UNC-led People’s Partnership “is enjoying skyhigh favourable rating boosting its electoral chances”.

“The coalition has widespread appeal primarily because of the enormous popularity of Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar and Works Minister Jack Warner and the strong mood for change in local governance. The duo of Kamla and Jack is attracting support even among non-traditional UNC voters with both showing rising favourability ratings,” say the pollsters.

“In terms of popular political support, the UNC-led PP has increased its lead over the PNM to 20 percent now at 54 percent to 34 percent. On the basis of the data, the UNC-led PP will retain the Local Governments it currently holds and wrest a few from the PNM. The PNM appears headed for defeat in Sangre Grande, Siparia, Arima, and Tunapuna/Piarco and is also struggling to hold on in Diego Martin and Port-of-Spain. The findings show the PP ahead in popular support in Tunapuna/Piarco by eight percent while the PNM is ahead in San Juan/Laventille by nine percent.”
socafighter

Unread post

Cut arse coming fer the PNM..... : 8-)
socafighter

Unread post

Two PNM stalwarts join the People’s Partnership

When the country thought that there would be no more surprises after the General Election, Tourism Minister Rupert Griffith last night announced that two PNM stalwarts had joined the People’s Partnership. He announced that former San Fernando mayor Ian Atherly and former Minister in the Ministry of State Roger Joseph have committed to the People’s Partnership

Although he did not speak on last night’s platform, Ian Atherly made a guest appearance at the launch of the People’s Partnership Local Government election campaign at Harris Promenade, San Fernando on Friday evening.

In a telephone interview yesterday when asked why he had joined the People’s Partnership, Atherly said this decision had been made after he had been overlooked by the leadership of the PNM for the past four years.

He recalled that at a function at Paria Suites, La Romanie four years ago, then Prime Minister, Patrick Manning, had stated that Atherly still had a role to play in the party.

“Two elections came and went and I heard nothing from the party and then I was asked by someone to assist them in their election campaign and I could only say yes,” he said.

“If they recognised my worth and my former party did not, what was I to do?” he asked.

Yet another People’s National Movement (PNM) member has abandoned ship and is now on board with the People’s Partnership (PP). Roger Joseph, former La Horquetta/Talparo MP, resigned yesterday from the party he served for the past 28 years.

I do not want to be a part of a bunch of misfits; I do not want to be part of victimisation and spite.”Admitting the decision was not an easy one, Joseph said he could no longer support a party that failed to provide a service to the people. He said, “The PNM lost the general election for one reason and that is because they failed to serve the people of T&T. “What I expected from PNM turned out to be two different things. I grew up with one philosophy from the late Dr Eric Williams, and that was serving the people. When I look at the PP I think I can make a contribution to serve my people.”