Barbadian political leaders

Political updates and debates...
mikesiva

Unread post

There was a time when the political leaders of Barbados were leading politicians of the region. We remember the outstanding independence leaders like Grantley Adams and Errol Barrow. The former's son, Tom Adams, had an imposing presence as prime minister, and as a result tended to divide opinions. I remember interviewing him when I worked at the Barbados Advocate in 1981, and I didn't like him much at all. But I did admit he was a strong personality, and I could see why voters warmed to him.

Then came the likes of Erskine Sandiford and Owen Arthur, who also made Caribbean-wide contributions. But the prime minister of Barbados now is such a nobody. When I went down to Bim the last two times (April of this year and September 2011), I heard his name, saw a plaque dedicated to him on the newly-built boardwalk, but he seems to have no presence, and I can't recall who he is!

Without using google, can anyone tell me the prime minister of Barbados?
:P
mikesiva

Unread post

"The Democratic Labour Party has retained power in Barbados with a narrow election victory, according to preliminary results. The win gives Prime Minister Freundel Stuart his first full term in office, after taking over as Prime Minister in 2010 following the death of former Prime Minister David Thompson. The initial results showed a thin majority of 16 seats for the DLP to 14 for the BLP. Stuart’s DLP had held 21 of 30 seats in Parliament going into the vote. It is the second straight election victory for the DLP, following 14 years of a Barbados Labour Party government under former Prime Minister and current Opposition Leader Owen Arthur."

http://www.caribjournal.com/2013/02/22/ ... ow-margin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;