3-month wait': 'Airport 2' extradition case

Political updates and debates...
socafighter

Unread post

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/99707559.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It may be at least another three months before businessmen Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson know whether they will be extradited to the United States.

Attorney General Anand Ramlogan has been advised by Queen's Counsel James Lewis that, "In my opinion a reasonable timetable, taking into account the requirement to be fair to all parties giving them an adequate opportunity to be heard, and for you to produce a fully reasoned decision cannot be less than two or three months."

Lewis was retained in 2006 by former attorney general John Jeremie to advise on the extradition proceedings against Ferguson and Galbaransingh.

In a letter sent to Ramlogan on Friday, Lewis advised Ramlogan to proceed with caution. "As the defendants are in custody, it is important you make a decision as soon as is reasonable, but so far as the State is concerned by objecting to bail and the defendants being remanded in custody by the Court of Appeal any concerns of absconding have been removed," he said.

Lewis said the case was a complex, important and difficult matter, proceedings in which have lasted over four years, "generated a vast amount of documentation and there are many High Court, Court of Appeal, Privy Council and satellite decisions to be considered".

"Whilst I appreciate the growing public and political pressure to make a decision in this matter, I respectfully advise that you proceed with caution. The proceedings have a backcloth of political circumstances but so far as your decision under section 16 of the Extradition Act is concerned, this is a decision of a quasi-judicial nature and must as a matter of law be reasoned and fair," Lewis said.

He further advised Ramlogan to invite representation from Ferguson, Galbaransingh, the US government and Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard, before Ramlogan gives his decision.