Slavery reparations

Political updates and debates...
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

Kunga Dred Reports on the Reparations March on Downing Street August 1st 2014 (click for more)

Thousands of Africans unite for Reparations March 2014 (click for more)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gils

Unread post

Thanks Marcus

To see the various tribes move as one is a very powerful image.

I think all of the diaspora know, conscious or not, that we are without. My concern is the without is being favored over looking within.

History is about real people, places, events and their consequence's few of the people I saw on the three video's appeared capable of articulating that, although one lady, Mwangole TV, did look very conversant and even admitted we don't have all the answers, which at least shows a greater awareness.

This gentleman explains things well, in under 90 secs " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Or

GM James, Stolen legacy " ways to show reverence to the ancestors "

Speak their name
Complete their works
Deify their completed works
Leave edifices and images, every where
mikesiva

Unread post

An interesting interview here....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alyson-re ... 04794.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikesiva

Unread post

Here's a letter Nelson wrote to his good friend Simon Taylor, the wealthiest planter in Jamaica at the time, who owned more slaves than anyone else:

http://blog.soton.ac.uk/slaveryandrevol ... june-1805/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, for the record, I don't hate Nelson...I just expect our documentary makers to tell the truth about him - good and bad. Be more like our academics at Southampton University, for example. Admiral Horatio Nelson is one of Britain's revered heroes....
mikesiva

Unread post

'A visit by David Cameron to Jamaica began awkwardly as the island’s prime minister pressed him to enter talks on reparations for slavery and campaigners called for him to personally atone for the slave-owning wealth of a relative in the 1800s. Portia Simpson Miller, the Jamaican leader, raised the issue of reparations in a formal meeting with Cameron on Tuesday evening, hours after his arrival on was greeted by a military band playing God Save the Queen. Appearing together after the talks, she said her nation wanted to engage the UK on the matter while also being “aware of obvious sensitivities”. However, the prime minister ignored the subject in his reply, saying his visit was about future trade ties and hailing the historic links between the two countries. The controversy has overshadowed the first visit of a UK prime minister to the Caribbean island for 14 years. After initially remaining silent on the issue, Cameron now faces pressure to mention Britain’s involvement in slavery when he addresses Jamaica’s parliament on Wednesday. Jamaican opposition politicians are threatening to boycott this speech, with Ed Bartlett, a frontbench spokesman for the country’s Labour party, saying the issue of reparations was “gaining movement in the region”. Bert Samuels, a member of the island’s National Commission on Reparations, appeared on Jamaican television to say Cameron needed to “atone, apologise, personally and on behalf of his country” for slavery. “His lineage has been traced and his forefathers were slave-owners and benefited from slavery,” he said. “We were left behind because of racism.” This appears to be a reference to the fact that General Sir James Duff, Cameron’s cousin six times removed, received more than £4,000 compensation for loss of 202 Jamaican slaves when the trade ended 1833.'

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/s ... to-jamaica" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikesiva

Unread post

This is just one more reason why I prefer Corbyn to Cameron....

http://www.channel4.com/news/jamaica-ca ... eparations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'However, he faces pressure both overseas and at home as Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said Mr Cameron should apologise for the slave trade. Speaking at Labour's annual conference in Brighton, Mr Corbyn said: "I think we should apologise for the slave trade and understand that the history of Jamaica is, yes, one of amazing joy and achievement since independence in 1962, but it's also a history of the most gross exploitation of people. "I spent my youth in Jamaica, I lived in Jamaica for two years, and I love the country very much indeed. We should be doing all we can to try and right the wrongs of the past - improve trade facilities and arrangements, improve support for Jamaica. That is in a sense a form of reparation, though I would be interested to hear what the proposals are and what the discussions are."'
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

29 September 2015: Reparations - Lovers' Rock Queen Portia Simpson Miller goes for Massa David Cameron's throat ...

... with her tongue. :o

Portia: "Some of my people are demanding reparations"

Cameron: "They can get behind you in the queue to kiss my ar*e!"
mikesiva

Unread post

Hilary Beckles on reparations....

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/C-b ... h--Beckles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikesiva

Unread post

"The Romantic literature professor from the department of English, film and theatre flipped through the handwritten manuscript’s 15 pages and saw “Granville Sharp, 1783,” written at the end; the first page revealed the letter was about the massacre aboard the slave ship Zong. Sharp was a leading British abolitionist and his letter was crammed between published pamphlets on diseases, vaccinations, and the healing benefits of water, all bound in volume titled “Tracts 35.” The compilation of these documents together didn’t make sense. Faubert was flabbergasted....o be clear, Faubert’s discovery is not the original letter. That is lost, perhaps even destroyed by the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty to whom Sharp was writing, demanding murder charges be brought against the crew of the slave ship Zong for killing 132 slaves by throwing or forcing them overboard in 1781. The crew rationalized the act by viewing the slaves as cargo, thereby making the slave owners eligible for insurance compensation."

http://news.umanitoba.ca/professor-find ... -massacre/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikesiva

Unread post

"The Rev William Jolliffe, of Upper Tilgate, near Crawley in Sussex, was an entrepreneur whose company was responsible for the construction of Waterloo Bridge, Dartmoor Prison and the new London Bridge. He gave it all up for the church and became a vicar. However, before he embraced the church, he became a beneficiary of slave ownership through complicated legal transactions in which “all claims due” to the failed merchant firm of Inglis Ellice and Co, which held mortgages on properties, were transferred to him. In connection with this, the Ballenbouche Estate in St Lucia received £4,174, 5s, 8d for 164 slaves, which is about £3.25 million in today’s money. Jolliffe’s son was the 1st Baronet Hylton, who served as home secretary and treasurer in the governments of the Earl of Derby. He married the daughter of the 4th Baronet Sheffield. Mrs Cameron’s father, Sir Reginald Sheffield, is the 8th baronet."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebri ... anned.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David Cameron's wife, Samantha, is descended from slave owners who made a lot of money out of slave compensation in the 1830s....