With Yohan Blake, cricket's loss is track and field's gain

Pace like fire!
BallOil

Unread post

Daegu, Korea - Yohan Blake says becoming a World champion was something he has "been waiting for my whole life." When, of course, he wasn't aiming for a career as a cricketer.

"I'm wonderful at cricket, at 20-20," Blake said after his impressive victory in the men's 100m at the IAAF World Championships on Sunday night at Daegu Stadium.

"West Indies are down, England is my team. I always wanted to be a cricketer, but I found a love for track and field. But I still love cricket. But track and field has taken over my life."

A good career choice, as he showed before the packed crowd and millions watching around the world still trying to come to grips with the stunning disqualification of Jamaican teammate and superstar Usain Bolt.

Blake, who decided to focus full-time on athletics when he was 16, became at 21 years 244 days the youngest gold medalist in the 100m in history. Carl Lewis was 22 years 38 days when he won the title at the inaugural World Championships in 1983.

That Blake has come so far so fast fulfilled a prediction by the coach he shares with Bolt, Glen Mills, who told the Jamaica Gleaner in June that he expected "a lot of fireworks" from Blake in Daegu.

Blake had finished second at the Jamaica championships to former World record-holder Asafa Powell, who was also missing from the Daegu final after pulling out of the meet with a groin injury.

"I've been waiting for this my whole life," Blake said. "I've always been working just to be a world champion and it's a dream come true." Read more
BallOil

Unread post

Excellent choice by Blake... I wish him all the best in Track n Fiend... while his countrymen Gayle, Taylor, et al not sure they will play for WI again.
AFRO

Unread post

Feck that skunt!!..about "England is my team".. i hope him fall on him rass in the 100 meter final!! :roll:
mapoui

Unread post

AFRO wrote:Feck that skunt!!..about "England is my team".. i hope him fall on him rass in the 100 meter final!! :roll:

true! dat I agree with. 'england is my team' mih rarse

haul he rarse. mek him go live deh now...let the police check him out 4-5 times day...pull hm over or up on the streets and check his pockets and his papers, like happens to most blac men on the streets of england everyday as reported
BallOil

Unread post

AFRO wrote:Feck that skunt!!..about "England is my team".. i hope him fall on him rass in the 100 meter final!! :roll:
That was a brilliant career move and its paying off already without any drama the WI going through. Look, the Chap has a right to support anyone...
BallOil

Unread post

mapoui wrote:

true! dat I agree with. 'england is my team' mih rarse

haul he rarse. mek him go live deh now...let the police check him out 4-5 times day...pull hm over or up on the streets and check his pockets and his papers, like happens to most blac men on the streets of england everyday as reported
you are making this more political than it is... He just talking cricket...You can't blame the young man when we have idiots turning off local of WI cricket. Which team are you supportin besides WI? :lol: