Caribbean outdoor season 2015

Pace like fire!
mikesiva

Unread post

After the constant disasters being dished out by the West Indies, I can't wait for the athletics season to begin!

http://www.trackandfieldja.com/nmcms.ph ... s&p=events" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A lot of long distance races, but the first sprint meet on the schedule is the Jamaica College Invitational on Jan 10....
mikesiva

Unread post

And here are the results of this first meet at Jamaica College, my alma mater....

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Br ... rformances" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
8-)
mikesiva

Unread post

"AMERICAN Justin Gatlin, the fastest man on the planet last year, will return to the Jamaica International Invitational Meet (JII) this year where he could clash with some of the top Jamaican sprinters at the May 9 IAAF World Challenge-certified meet. Gatlin, who had personal best times of 9.77 seconds in the 100m and 19.68 seconds in the 200m last season, both fastest in the world, was included on a list of 12 athletes, including double World Championships gold medallist Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, who have confirmed their participation in the event. Another athlete named was Olympic Games and Commonwealth Games 400m champion Kirani James of Grenada, but a release from his handlers late yesterday said he had not confirmed for the meet. The release said James was yet to confirm his availability and cited possible scheduling conflicts with school. However, former world record holder Asafa Powell, who ended the 2014 season as the fastest Jamaican with 9.87 seconds, World Championships 100m bronze medallist and Olympic 110m hurdles bronze medallists Hansle Parchment, as well as Nesta Carter are also confirmed, according to the release. Fraser-Pryce heads the female list so far which also includes Nigerian Blessing Okagbare, who won the women's 100m last year, Americans Allyson Felix and Dawn Harper and Jamaicans Commonwealth Games champions Kaliese Spencer and Stephanie McPherson, as well as IAAF Diamond League champion Novelene Williams-Mills."

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/To ... t_18251931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikesiva

Unread post

'Jamaica's Fredrick Dacres of the University of the West Indies (UWI) obliterated the Big Shot Invitational discus open record with a throw of 66.30m, and in the process established a world-leading mark at Excelsior High School yesterday. Dacres easily erased his own record set in 2014 of 64.36m and was well clear of second-placed Basil Bingham of the UWI with 55.35m. Glenford Watson of GC Foster was third with a heave of 52.15m. Dacres, who has just recovered from a knee surgery, also achieved the qualifying mark for the World Championships slated for Beijing, China, later this year, and he told the Jamaica Observer he is ahead of schedule. "Well, I am actually shocked because coming off the knee injury wasn't easy, because I had about eight months off without any throwing," noted the former Calabar High School standout. Dacres, 20, who became the first Jamaican thrower to win gold at a global event at the 2011 World Youth Championships, and repeating the feat a year later, said the plan after being out injured for eight months, was to focus on 2016. "The aim wasn't really for World Championships this year, but for me to come back for 2016. But I am really far ahead of where I would want to be and I am really happy about that," said Dacres, who has a personal best of 66.75m done in Texas last year. His world-leading throw of 66.30m for the second year running at this meet, surpassed the previous best of 62.30m done by Australian Julian Wruck on January 11.'

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Da ... s_18278270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikesiva

Unread post

"OLYMPIC Games gold medallists Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Nesta Carter are among a slew of top class athletes who will open their 2015 track and field season at this Saturday's Queen's/Grace Jackson meet at the National Stadium. The meet has become a customary season-opener for members of the MVP Track and Field Club, of which Fraser-Pryce, the reigning world champion over 100m and 200m, and Carter, the World Championships and Olympic Games 4x100m gold medallist, are a part."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2015 ... orts1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikesiva

Unread post

"JAMAICA'S 400m prodigy Javon Francis made a successful return to the track clocking the fastest time of 46.29 seconds in the men's 400m open in at the Camperdown Classic yesterday. However, the world's fastest man Usain Bolt, who was slated to open his seasonal account also in the 400m, as well as 2008 Olympic 400m hurdles gold medallist Melaine Walker failed to show up for the meet. Francis, formerly of Calabar High, but now representing the Michael Clarke-led Akon Track Club, had not run since smashing Bolt's record at Champs last March with a blistering 45.00 seconds. He looked smooth in dismissing Racers' Edino Steele in heat two. Drawn in lane seven behind Steele in lane eight, by the time the runners completed 100 metres, Francis, or 'Donkey Man' as he is affectionately called, effortlessly galloped past Steele -- who has a best time of 45.38 seconds -- and cruised home to loud applause from the fans."

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Ja ... c_18407506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikesiva

Unread post

'THE University of Te c h n o l o g y, J a m a i c a (UTech) men’s sprint relay team created a massive upset at yesterday’s 39th staging of the Gibson/McCook Relays at the N a t i o n a l Stadium as they held off a p o w e r f u l R a c e r s L i o n s team, led by Usain Bolt, to win in a world-leading 38.23 seconds. Tyquendo Tracey, who anchored the UTech team, got the baton about seven metres in front, and despite Bolt finishing like a runaway train, closing the gap with each massive stride, he held on to cross the finish line first to avenge last year’s loss. “I told myself to just relax and run,” Tracey told the Jamaica Observer. “Last year I got the lead but tightened up and Blake (Yohan) caught me, and I told myself I was not going to let lightning strike twice.” Tracey said he felt Bolt closing in on him, but once again reminded himself to “relax”. UTech’s Julian Forte, whose brilliant second leg contributed greatly to the victory, said he knew he had to run fast. “Bolt was on the anchor and I knew we had to get a big lead if we were to win.” Bolt told the Observer he was disappointed with the defeat. “You want to win every time you go on the track, but this was a good race and I am feeling OK.” The treble world record holder, who missed most of last year, said he had some work to do in the gym before he reaches where he wants to be, and that he is down to run a 400m race “some time soon; in the next two of three weeks”. Andrew Fisher started and handed off to Forte who relayed to Kamarley Brown on the third leg, while the Racers Lions team made one change from the team that ran the preliminaries, Commonwealth Games 100m champion Kemar Bailey-Cole replaced Michael Frater on the second leg, taking the baton from Mario Forsythe and handing off to Warren Weir, the World Championships, Olympic Games and Commonwealth Games 200m medallist.'

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/UTech-upset" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikesiva

Unread post

"DOUBLE-sprint record holder Usain Bolt clocked a modest 46.38 seconds to win the men's clubs and institution 400-metre run when he made a surprise appearance at the Digicel/ Lucozade Sport GC Foster Classic at the National Stadium yesterday. Running out of lane four in heat one, Bolt was comfortable along the back straight and came of the curve ahead of the field to win ahead of his Racers Track Club teammate Edino Steele, who clocked 46.80 seconds. Former Calabar sensation Javon 'Donkey man' Francis, who clocked 46.49 seconds to win his heat, was second overall with Steele finishing third."

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Bo ... n_18571862" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikesiva

Unread post

"NOT very often are Olympic champions Usain Bolt and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce upstaged after winning performances, but Elaine Thompson's world-leading 10.92 seconds for 100m was the highlight performance at the UTech Classic at the National Stadium last night. Thompson of the University of Technology (UTech) announced herself to the world in no uncertain manner dashing to a championship record of 10.92 seconds to win the women's 100m open ahead of Natasha Morrison of MVP in 11.17 seconds, and the promising Christina Williams of UTech in 11.18 seconds. The field also included Racers' Schillonie Calvert and Audra Segree of Sprintec, and the previous record of 11.07 seconds, done two years ago, was held by Carrie Russell. Thompson, 23, has promised much in the last two seasons and earlier this year she ran 11.09 and 23.09 to register her personal best over the 100m and 200m, respectively."

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/new-star_18741295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikesiva

Unread post

"JAMAICA'S men's sprint team lost a major championships title for the first time since the Olympic Games in Beijing, China, in 2008 after they finished second to the United States in the 4x100m final at the second IAAF World Relay Championships at the Thomas A Robinson Stadium in Nassau, Bahamas, last night. A tremendous second leg from Justin Gatlin gave the Americans a lead they would not relinquish despite strong runs from Nickel Ashmeade and Usain Bolt on the last two legs. The Americans ran a championships record 37.38 seconds and claimed three gold medals on the opening night. Jamaica ran 37.68 seconds, while Japan were a surprise third in 38.20 seconds. Jamaica won two silver medals after taking second in the women's 4x200m final earlier and also qualified for both 4x400m relay finals to be run today. The USA won the first two gold medals, setting the first world record of the championships in the women's distance medley relays with 10 minutes 36.50 seconds, as well as setting a new championships record in the men's 4x800m with 7 minutes 04.84 seconds."

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Ja ... 0_18865560" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;