Cricket whites: out of fashion for black Britons

Action from the rest of the world....
Gils

Unread post

mikesiva wrote:Maps, when Gils and I were at the Oval, do you know what type of musical interlude they had for us Caribbean and Pakistani peeps? Three guys dressed up as beefeaters, hammering away at drums!
:lol:
No calypso, no reggae, not even any Bollywood music....
8-)
The article also points out that cricket is not played in the comprehensive schools...my kids went to comprehensives, and the main sports there were football and rugby. It was mind-boggling, considering that more than half the school population was of Asian origin, and they enjoyed cricket a lot more than rugby....
:?
:D I'd forgotten about those beefeaters. :lol: " I get the impression I'm not the target audience " X Clan .

No West Indian or Pakistani music, only Brit pop and beefeating floor tom players on cue every 5 overs.

There were as many English and antipodeans as West Indians, and we were outnumbered by the. Pakistanis by roughly 15 to 1.

I' 've thought about that on a few occasions since and can't help thinking that We, the fans have played our part in the demise of WI cricket.
Last edited by Gils on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gils

Unread post

Duplicated
Gils

Unread post

mapoui2 wrote:thats english cricket..always was..racist, elitist. they have priced black people out of the game that's what..deliberate policy.

they cant stand the way black people 'participate' in the sport. we must clap politely and keep quiet.

the english cant stand calypso , reggae and jammin' at the park
Totally agree, 100 %, that's why the elders passing down this tradition for the future generations becomes even more salient.

The English, like most other things, have no music that stays relevant for any period of time but are well versed in continuing legacies.

If not, for that British " way of doing things" the Pakistani support would have literally blown us away as the match stewards actively confiscated their vuvuzelas.
Last edited by Gils on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AFRO

Unread post

mikesiva wrote:Maps, when Gils and I were at the Oval, do you know what type of musical interlude they had for us Caribbean and Pakistani peeps? Three guys dressed up as beefeaters, hammering away at drums!
LOL am i di only one who spotted something WRONG with dat statement deh? :lol: :lol: :lol:
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

Gils wrote:For the very same reasons Cricket is declining in the Caribbean.

To address the question directly. More choices lead to more possibilities.!
Is this what you had in mind?

"Unemployment rate for black 16 to 24-year-olds available for work now double that for white counterparts, ONS data shows ..."

Half of UK's young black males are unemployed (March 2012)
mikesiva

Unread post

AFRO wrote:
LOL am i di only one who spotted something WRONG with dat statement deh? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes....
:roll:
howzdat

Unread post

Isn't it interesting that the English cricket establishment prefer a well lubricated (i.e. unmistakably overly influenced by alcohol) majority white crowd, baiting & chanting at the opposition (often nationalistic in tone), and tuneless repetitive banging on a drum to a cricket loving, whistle blowing, shack-shack shaking darker skinned supporter of a dark skinned team.

And never mind Norman Tebbitt, had I dark-skinned child choosing to represent that nation at any sport would stick a bit in my craw. Talking of which there is Dustin Brown, born in Celle, West Germany, dreadlocked hairstyle, playing @ Wimbledon.
Brown announced in June 2010, that due to a lack of funding and support from the Jamaican Tennis Association, he was tempted to switch nationality, and play professional tennis for Great Britain, his paternal grandparents being British.[4][5][6] However, in October 2010 he decided to compete for Germany, his country of birth, a move confirmed on his official Facebook page. Brown's first event playing under the German flag was Eckental.[7]
Meanwhile, Cricket whites: out of fashion for black Britons
Gils

Unread post

Considering a large number of those young black males are " in employment" and have arrived at that status by way of choice, not exactly.
Unemployment is the end result of many preceding factors, poor, little or no education being a few.

I think single parent family's in low paid employment are significant contributors.
Mail

Unread post

Gils wrote:
mapoui2 wrote:thats english cricket..always was..racist, elitist. they have priced black people out of the game that's what..deliberate policy.

they cant stand the way black people 'participate' in the sport. we must clap politely and keep quiet.

the english cant stand calypso , reggae and jammin' at the park
Totally agree, 100 %, that's why the elders passing down this tradition for the future generations becomes even more salient.

The English, like most other things, have no music that stays relevant for any period of time but are well versed in continuing legacies.

If not, for that British " way of doing things" the Pakistani support would have literally blown us away as the match stewards actively confiscated their vuvuzelas.
Gils I am surprised you are, although entitled to, agreeing to this rubbish misrepresentation of where we are today.

I have been at Lords when Windies visit and there has been Steel Pan etc. Conversely when we and others visit your shores what do you do, out of interest?

I know a number of Black British and non British born players who play and have played County Cricket and many went on to play for England Norman Cowans, Wilf Slack, Roland Butcher, Neil Williams, Gladstone Small, Devon Malcolm, Sid Lawrence, PAJ DeFreitas, Dean Headley etc. I also have played with many excellent Black players and I still do at my advancing age. In Cricket the barrier is sometimes cost for kits and that can be a barrier to all. There are poor under privileged White families as well.

We are different in the way we do things and not sure if you wish everyone to be like you. Is that the acceptable benchmark? Many people coexist and whilst I do not deny racism exist it is not a majority view. The Lawerences, for example, who tragically lost their Son, a budding Architect, in a blatant racist attack some 20 years ago, do you think the majority of the support to his Mum Doreen came from Black people?

I do not know why we have to continually see vast negatives in natural differences which really hurt no one. Are we really confusing a historical context with the reality of now? Are many people living in the past and not willing to embrace the advancement we have made and continue to make.

D-B is 19 and if he is good enough he will get his chance. I feel Carberry has been unfortunate to be around when England is so strong. Personally I would champion him as he is simply brilliant.

I see youngsters of all tribes interacting these days and it is marvellous.
Gils

Unread post

I believe you have no issue with my comments but by me agreeing with Mapoui makes you feel surprised.

? What part of his post surprises you and more in tune with the OP., what reasons can you give for the absence of youths with Caribbean origins both playing and spectating cricket in England, in comparison to say 25 or so years ago.
Last edited by Gils on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.