Aaron Finch appointed Australia’s T20 Captain

Action from the rest of the world....
BallOil

Unread post

AARON FINCH will hold a press conference at the Sydney International Airport press conference room (ground floor international arrivals area) at approx. 2.30pm AEST. Finch will be arriving off QF64 from Johannesburg.

Cricket Australia today announced that Victorian batsman Aaron Finch has been appointed as Australia’s new Twenty 20 International captain.

He replaces George Bailey who has chosen to stand down from the role to concentrate on his preparation for the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup and first-class cricket.

Commenting on Finch’s appointment, National Selector Rod Marsh said: “Aaron is the world’s number-one ranked T20 International batsman and thoroughly deserves this opportunity.

“He has gained quality leadership experience through his role as captain of the Melbourne Renegades and the Pune Warriors. He also captained Australia A against the England Lions last year and excelled when given that chance.

“When George indicated that he was stepping down from the position, we thought Aaron was the obvious choice to succeed him. We know he will relish the opportunity to lead his country.

“He has a task ahead of him. He is taking on a young side that is currently ranked fifth in the world. His first challenge will be building consistent performances as they head towards the ICC World Twenty20 in 2016.”

Finch said he was honoured to be appointed Australian T20 Captain and was excited to be taking on such a big role.

“Having the honour to captain your country in any form of the game is something that all young cricketers dream about. It came as a big surprise but it was a very nice phone call to receive from Rod Marsh,” said Finch.

“I never imagined when captaining in the past that it would lead to national responsibilities. I’ve just set out to be the best player that I can and luckily an opportunity like this has come my way.

“I have been fortunate enough to play under some fantastic captains, including Michael Clarke and George Bailey and I have learnt a lot from them.

“It goes without saying that I will do my utmost in this role as we lead into the ICC World T20 in about eighteen months’ time. It’s going to be very exciting.”

The decision to appoint Finch as captain was ratified by Cricket Australia’s board of directors. Cricket Australia Chairman Wally Edwards said that Finch was a sound choice to lead the Australian side.

“Aaron has demonstrated his class on and off the field for Australia in International Twenty 20 competition,” Mr Edwards said.

“He is an incredibly exciting limited overs player and a great role model for children playing and watching the game.

“On behalf of the Cricket Australia Board, I’d like to congratulate him on his appointment and wish him well in this important job for Australian cricket.”

Aaron James Finch

Born: 17 November 1986, Colac, Victoria

Twenty20 International Debut: Australia v England at Adelaide, Jan 12, 2011

Twenty20 International Matches Played: 18

Twenty20 International Top Score: 156

Twenty20 International Average: 41.25