** Pietersen's pending Autobiography causing ECB grief **

Action from the rest of the world....
Gils

Unread post

Mail

Process and principle over personality, everytime. IMO those are the parallels you draw with WI.

I get the impression he's a lout but what does that really count for. It shouldn't mean he's not entitled to the same treatment as others.

So like Wavell, I prefer to hear what the man has to say for himself before rushing to judgement.

BTW revisionist history also features prominently but that is not exclusive to English.

I know you have always felt this way towards him but I also know England welcomed with open arms, at the time you had nothing better....
Mail

Unread post

Gils wrote:Mail
........I get the impression he's a lout but what does that really count for. It shouldn't mean he's not entitled to the same treatment as others.
I would not say he is a lout but he seems to have difficulty in getting along with people which takes a special man manager to massage his ego and keep him in check.

I think he was listened to and Moores was sacked but the ECB possibly felt we have selected our 2 best people here so strip him of the Captaincy so he does not have to deal with Flower in a Management role.

He is like Marmite.

So like Wavell, I prefer to hear what the man has to say for himself before rushing to judgement.
I cannot see what Wavell would have to say that would make sense. He is at the behest of his members.

As far as KP is concerned what he say is from his perspective and that could be skewed. He was showing great signs as Captain if only he could get on with the people around him. However when you feel picked on, you become detached.

I know you have always felt this way towards him but I also know England welcomed with open arms, at the time you had nothing better....
Not just about him but all of those who ran away from SA after apartheid fell when they could no longer have it all their way. My issue is also with the likes of Nash and the reason is, just to remind others, is if you have not gone through our education and sporting systems (like Strauss and Prior), I do not believe you have a full appreciation and loyalty to England.

Nash was dropped from the West Indies team, did he continue playing for and supporting the development of the next generation of his 'countrymen'? I suspect he is back in Australia when not playing for Kent.

You cannot give away your national stripes so easily.
Gils

Unread post

Nash and Pieterson, are products of the professional sporting arena.

Players now qualify thru grandparents, other sports are much more actively involved in this practise, you should see some of the football teams, most have at least one Brazilian.

England are the major beneficiaries of this in the world of cricket, so presenting Nash is really nothing more than putting up a straw man argument to knock down.

KP may be a number of things but both he, and Nash, had a birth right to play for their country just like every other sports person, weather I like it or not.

My observations are simply that, but I haven't seen anything that disproves them.
Mail

Unread post

Gils,

I totally disagree.

Birthright for me is about you and not your ancestors. What has Pietersen's mother contributed to the UK?

I appreciate the qualification process and whether it is residence or ancestry I totally disagree with it subject to exceptions.

The tragedy of this, as I have mentioned several times, is 18 months or so prior to Trott making his debut for us against The Aussies at the Oval, he was celebrating in South Africa's dressing room after they beat us.

It is perhaps a point I will agree to disagree but thanks for sharing your different views.
Last edited by Mail on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gils

Unread post

:arrow: Was that you who called in.
Mail

Unread post

No Gils.

I have expressed my views to Committee members but do not do the call ins, not my style.
Gils

Unread post

Oh :D

Well he's gone up in my estimation, he was not a person I had a lot of time for but he came across as honest, remorsefully and hard done by, to a certain degree.

Cue Andy Flowers
Mail

Unread post

In a way same for me here, but I was never neither really low in my estimation nor have I detested him.

My question is why he seems at odds with most management structures.

Perhaps far too much jealousy.

Have you bought the book Gils?