**** Phil Hughes Dies ****

Action from the rest of the world....
Gils

Unread post

The ICC could at least look at the helmet design used in F1 motor racing, as they come with a neck support attached.
stumps

Unread post

bossman19TT wrote: Very foolish of Maps to argue against helmets :helmets will NEVER offer full protection, but
no " buts"!! Mapoui is correct : all/full protection as in baseball OR postpone Play until
Googley

Unread post

the helmets can and should be improved!

This should have been when the English complained to the ICC about West Indian bowlers!! the ICC instead of limiting the bouncers should have invested in better protective gears for the players!!

Once again they facted up and now we see the result!
Gils

Unread post

Googley wrote:the helmets can and should be improved!

This should have been when the English complained to the ICC about West Indian bowlers!! the ICC instead of limiting the bouncers should have invested in better protective gears for the players!!

Once again they facted up and now we see the result!
That's a perfect explanation of what took place, you explained ti better than I could.

It took twenty years but now more onus will be on them to show and prove good governance in accident prevention and safe working practice's, should any similar incident happen in the future.
Mail

Unread post

I just wonder to what extent batsmen's techniques have been compromised due to the false security of helmets?

You just have to look at the types of shots players undertake, especially in the shorter version but also creeping into Tests!

I do not ever recall any Internationals, or even at Club Cricket, players being struck on the head! They swayed and swerved away, hooking when possible.
Googley

Unread post

Mail wrote: I do not ever recall any Internationals, or even at Club Cricket, players being struck on the head! They swayed and swerved away, hooking when possible.

Nari Contractor!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouncer_%28cricket%29
Mail

Unread post

Googs,

I stand corrected.

However in all cricket played prior to helmets, were there many?

There is another consideration that social media these days ensure we hear everything and there might well have been cases, in Clubs particularly, where this could have happened!
Googley

Unread post

Mail wrote:Googs,

I stand corrected.

However in all cricket played prior to helmets, were there many?

There is another consideration that social media these days ensure we hear everything and there might well have been cases, in Clubs particularly, where this could have happened!

Mail, in today's media driven world we hear about every small details...as you correctly pointed out. Its difficult to know how many people got hit at all levels, especially at club levels. I know several people who got hit at club levels but that information usually stays in the local community.

Contractor was the most "famous" case I know of at the highest level
Mail

Unread post

I have played in the top flight of County Leagues and I faced many bowlers, some of genuine note, and I have never been hit.

for example John Snow played at a local Club in the Middlesex County League some years ago and he was a handful. Yes he had passed his International best but.....

I also played in the West Indies when fast bowlers genuinely wanted to hurt you and not once did I come across any such events. You heard of bowlers reputations etc...

Batsmen wanting to hook always inside the ball and the batter batsmen could also go outside the ball and even if the ball is missed you did not get hit altough you may glove or sky one!

I think my real point or rather question is for people to comment on whether tehy do or do not feel the advent of the helmet was at the detriment of technique.

Anyway I think we are on the same page mainly!
Googley

Unread post

I think my real point or rather question is for people to comment on whether tehy do or do not feel the advent of the helmet was at the detriment of technique.
YES! I know this first hand.

I grew up playing without a helmet. Never had a problem with pace or balls flying by my head. However, as I was getting older I tried wearing a helmet for the very first time in a practice session. Guess what? I got hit in the head by a damn military medium pacer!!!

I saw the ball coming but did not move my head!!

Yes, the fact that one have on helmet it gives a sense of false sense of security! And people naturally alter their techniques because of this.

That was the last time i wore a helmet!!