**** Phil Hughes Dies ****

Action from the rest of the world....
stumps

Unread post

Googley wrote: I got hit in the head by a damn military medium pacer!!!
that explains a lot . :lol:
Nari Contractor and Phil Simmons at County level.
Mail

Unread post

Googs,

I wore a helmet once in a game that we had dedicated to one of the Tea Ladies who had sadly died quite young!

Being upset at what had happened never affected me when I went to the crease but the weight and bad fit, was not mine, on a kicking pitch saw me sky one to mid off playing far too early!

Never before and never since.

We did not grow up with helmets so it is quite natural not to wear them but as my reflexes diminishes I am faced with a dilemma!

I belive everyone in my team wears helmets, even the one chap my age!
BallOil

Unread post

Audio of Cr Rhonda Hoban and James Henderson audio |Order of service & attendees | Media coverage of Phillip Hughes funeral

AUDIO

Nambucca Shire Council Mayor, Cr Rhonda Hoban and James Henderson, on behalf of the Hughes family, spoke to media in Macksville today about Phillip Hughes’ funeral, which will be held tomorrow. Audio from this media opportunity is available here: James Henderson Cr Rhonda Hoban

FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS

Start of Service

2.00pm

Conclusion of Service

Approximately 3:00pm.

Celebrant

Father Michael Alcock

Pall Bearers

Gregory Hughes

Jason Hughes

Michael Clarke

Corey Ireland

Mitchell Lonergan

Matthew Day

Aaron Finch

Tom Cooper

Order of Service

Introductory Rites: Opening Music ‘Forever Young’

Welcome & Opening Prayer

Liturgy of the Word

First Reading: read by James Henderson

Responsorial Psalm

Gospel: read by Father Peter Jones

Prayers of the Faithful: read by Samantha Trodden

The Lords Prayer

Eulogy from Family: Nino Ramunno, Jason Hughes, Megan Hughes

Tributes: Corey Ireland, Michael Clarke

Final Commendation & Farewell

Prayer of Commendation

Song of Farewell: Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me

Additional Information

Two overflow areas featuring big screens have been set up at Macksville High School Oval 1 & Oval 2 to give all of the Macksville community an opportunity to take part in the service. The public are invited to congregate in these areas, which can hold up to 2000 people each.

At the conclusion of the ceremony, current and former cricketers will be invited to create a guard of honour along Park Street. The local community are then invited to participate in a public procession that will follow the hearse through the main thoroughfare of Macksville, including Wallace Street, concluding at Macksville Ex-Services Club.

ATTENDEES

Attendees at the funeral service will include:

Australian Test squad

Commonwealth Bank Southern Stars

Mark Taylor

Sir Richard Hadlee

Brian Lara

Virat Kohli

Ravi Shastri

Dean Jones

Shane Warne

Mike Hussey

Ricky Ponting

Glenn McGrath

Adam Gilchrist

Justin Langer

Simon Katich

Steve Waugh

Brett Lee

Damien Martyn

Mark Waugh

Neil Maxwell

Gavin Robertson

Honourable Tony Abbott MP

Honourable Bill Shorten MP

Honourable Mike Baird MP

Honourable Peter Dutton MP

Honourable Luke Hartsuyker MP

MEDIA COVERAGE

Registrations for working media to attend the funeral are now closed. Any media who did not register their attendance by Monday’s deadline must contact Alana Lakeland on 0430 197 090 urgently. Media who have not registered their attendance cannot be guaranteed access to cover the funeral due to limited capacity.

TELEVISION The Nine Network will broadcast the funeral service live from Macksville from 1.30pm AEDT, with Michael Slater, Ken Sutcliffe and Tim Gilbert heading the telecast. This broadcast is available to other networks upon request via Darren Wick on dwick@nine.com.au to access this link.

RADIO ABC Radio and Fairfax Radio will provide coverage starting from the same time.

ONLINE Both television and radio streams will be available through cricket.com.au and the Cricket Australia Live app, with updates throughout provided via cricket.com.au’s social media channels.
Googley

Unread post

stumps wrote:
Googley wrote: I got hit in the head by a damn military medium pacer!!!
that explains a lot . :lol:
Nari Contractor and Phil Simmons at County level.
no damage done to the Googs.

I threw away the helmet after the hit and put some serious lash on the bowler! :lol:
Mail

Unread post

Googs,

Nice one mate!!!!!

Same here.

You know I was really looking forward to seeing Hughes, with a refined technique, against the Indians.

Not to be RIP!
stumps

Unread post

Googley wrote: no damage done to the Googs.
the guy in the game never sees the play :mrgreen:
stumps

Unread post

Mail wrote: I was really looking forward to seeing Hughes, with a refined technique, against the Indians.
west indian refine technique bat Sarwan was "ordered" to eliminate the Hook/Pull.
Mail

Unread post

stumps wrote:
Mail wrote: I was really looking forward to seeing Hughes, with a refined technique, against the Indians.
west indian refine technique bat Sarwan was "ordered" to eliminate the Hook/Pull.
A batsman of his repute cannot be ordered to do anything as such.

My issues with Sarwan are he has not fulfilled his enermous potential, he has shown great mental weakness, did not have the mettle to fight his way back and sadly he is finished.

We must remember both Shiv and Gayle were subjected to some aggravation as well and they let their bats do the talking.

Yes Gibson and Co mismanaged and abused but one will have to look at Sars' mental fortitude in the final analysis!

I had hoped his tenure with Red Force would have seen him plot his way back but he pulled out.

On topic today was the funeral and it was all a very poignant occasion.

RIP in Hughesy!
Mail

Unread post

Quote from Clarke
With those words, Clarke has thrown down the gauntlet. Stop the rancour, stop the sledging, play the game and ignite the friendships that make it so special. Sledging is not "a part of the game", as is so loosely proposed. Playing "tough" cricket does not mean playing ugly cricket. Witness Hutton, Benaud, the Nawab of Pataudi and Sobers and the standards they set that have long since become extinct.

Very nice article and worth a read!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co ... 07091.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mail

Unread post

Very nice article and the gauntlet has been thrown down to themselves by Clarke!

The last Ashes series was the most vicious I have ever seen.

We will all remember a time when we applauded each batsman as he approached the crease, reserving a special one for the Captain!

We shook the hand of the opposition when reaching a milestone even if the bowler said, smiling, next over mate!

We even said bad luck when a batsman lost his right to be at the crease!

We mingled with opposition after games making friendships, many lasting, sharing a jug of ale of some sort, recognising and appreciating performances and discussing the nuances of this glorious game!

You played with players of different ages and that thought you a degree of tolerance for when you yourself get to that stage.

Even in the 70s and 80s we had American youths visiting Cricket games in the UK to show them how sports should be played!

Cricket was synonymous with fairness, sportsmanship, courage, comradery, walking, picking up the opposition's bat and all things good about the human spirit......

It is just not Cricket these days...

I would like to see this back starting with Internationals and especially the Aussies.