Full name Temba Bavuma
Born May 17, 1990, Cape Town, Cape Province
Current age 25 years 233 days
Major teams South Africa, Gauteng, Gauteng Under-19s, Lions, South Africa A, S
outh Africa Under-19s
Batting style Right-hand bat
Bowling style Right-arm medium
South Africa 616/7 are thirteen runs behind England's 629/6 declared

Out comes Kagiso Rabada to try and help Bavuma, 93 not out, to a richly deserved ton.

We will see!
howzdat

Unread post

208.1 Root to Bavuma, no run, angled across the right-hander, tapped square and Bairstow hares after it
208.2 Root to Bavuma, 2 runs, tossed up and swept, little bit of top edge about it but the ball sails behind square for a couple - one big hit away now208.3 Root to Bavuma, no run, leans out to defend this time
208.4 Root to Bavuma, 1 run, tossed up and nurdled into a gap on the leg side
208.5 Root to Rabada, no run, tossed up outside off, lets it go. Silly point and slip in
208.6 Root to Rabada, no run, tighter line and there's a fraction of turn, confident leave from Rabada although it was uncomfortably close to the stumps
209.1 Finn to Bavuma, FOUR, reaches for the drive, gets a thick edge wide of the sole slip - that's it, third man won't cut if off, century for Bavuma! There's a lot of emotion washing around Newlands, this is a proud moment for many, a hundred for a black African
howzdat

Unread post

T Bavuma not out 102

Yes, Jah Jah Bless, Guide & Protect the Ras.

Regards

Howzdat
johnnn10

Unread post

Bavuma fails in indian toor but impressed against england.
------------------
[(url=http://www.cricbuzz.com) cricket scores]
johnnn10

Unread post

bavuma rocks.
-------------
[url=http//:www.cricbuzz.com]
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

"First black African to score a century for his country attended private schools after the collapse of apartheid but the majority of government schools do not play cricket ..."

Temba Bavuma benefits from South Africa reforms but others will struggle (click for more)
howzdat

Unread post

Thanks Marcus, great insight into the background against which Temba's performance is to be seem.

Ireland tour of South Africa, Only ODI: South Africa v Ireland at Benoni, Sep 25, 2016

Ireland won the toss and elected to field

South Africa currently 226/2 (37.0 ov) Bavuma 113 not out.
howzdat

Unread post

37.3 Young to Bavuma, OUT, and his innings is over! Trying to press on. Goes to heave a back-of-a-length ball over the leg side and it is miscued high into the off, allowing cover to settle underneath it
T Bavuma c Porterfield b Young 113 (152m 123b 13x4 1x6) SR: 91.86
howzdat

Unread post

South Africa tour of Australia, 2nd Test: Australia v South Africa at Hobart, Nov 12-16, 2016
DAY 1
Australia 85
South Africa 171/5 (55.0 ov)
South Africa lead by 86 runs with 5 wickets remaining in the 1st innings
Temba Bavuma (rhb) 38
Quinton de Kock (lhb) 28
So looks like this will be an interesting game.

I held off remarking here on his excellent bit of fielding in the first which resulted in the runout of David Warner, however I didn't want the entire series to pass without my acknowledging that by any measure Temba is settling into the Test arena quite nicely.

(I would love to interview the brother one day while his career is still young :) )

Of course nobody knows what the future holds however now playing in his 12th test, he has scored a touch over five hundred runs @ an average of 46.

Together with Vernon Phllander, who I also opined about on this site in my own inimitable manner it looks like the Saffers are doing something right insofar spotting talent is concerned. The quota system has its' detractors and will always raise questions about merit but if Bavuma had failed he would have been out of sight by now. Playing with Amla and the other established players must be doing him the world of good.

So keep up the good work, young man, I have every faith in the One who watches over us all.

Temba!
howzdat

Unread post

South Africa tour of Australia, Tour Match: Victoria XI v South Africans at Melbourne, Nov 19, 2016
Victoria XI 258 (45.2 ov)
South Africans 205/4 (50.0 ov)
Victoria XI won by 53 runs
Temba Bavuma (rhb) 33 not out in partnership of 83 runs, in 17.5 overs, at RR: 4.65 batting with
Hashim Amla (rhb) 81 not out

More invaluable experience for the young man.