ICC Women's World T20, 2nd Semi: Aus Women vs WI Women

Women's Cricket Forum
howzdat

Unread post

Unless I am blind :D there aint a topic for this game! Shame! Australia won the toss and elected to bat. They are 14-2 after 3 overs with Daley taking both wickets.
mikesiva

Unread post

Daley now removes Cameron for 11....
8-)
howzdat

Unread post

Both WI and Australia should be accorded 'nuff respect' as both their respective representative teams have reached the semi finals -well done. I already mentioned in a post earlier how "good and pleasant it would be before God and man to see WI make a clean sweep of the trophies.
howzdat

Unread post

mikesiva wrote:Daley now removes Cameron for 11.... 8-)
Hi Mike, trust that you and yours are well. Looks like we two are the only one's here right now adding the power of good wishes from this site in support of the WI Women. Nice one.

16 year-old Quintyne to Lanning, OUT! MM Lanning c Taylor b Quintyne 19 (21b 2x4 0x6) SR: 90.47 Third wicket down. Australia 36-3 in the 8th over. I hope the boys are watching! Come on Windies.
mikesiva

Unread post

I totally agree, howzdat...women's cricket is seen as a very poor cousin on the international stage. We need our women cricketers to get as much recognition for their achievements as our women athletes get around the world...who can forget the achievements of Merlene Ottey down the years?
howzdat

Unread post

Seems like we thinking the same, Mike. Perhaps people in the region don't fully appreciate how accomplishment on the sporting fields equates to respect - especially in the foreign parts. As for Ottey, what an athlete, and the face that she became a Slovenian representative speaks volumes of her self-belief. I wonder what the story is behind that? The region has been birth place to so many truly great individuals in many, many sports.

In the last game that the men played I heard the David Rudder track played as the WI anthem and it gave me goosebumps. Dare i say it must me the most catching 'Anthems' heard during these competitions. Do the Women use the same tune?

Australia 54/3 after 10.2 overs. As usual if you listen to the commentary the 'first-worlders' cannot help but unamsk their lack of real appreciation for what the 'brownies' are doing. Before anyone accuses me of accusing anyone of racial bias - I AM NOT. It is just that there is a presumption of "betterness" inherent in their psyche born of economic advantage.

However, God knows that economic pips are well and truly squeaking in all corners of the G7 nations. Proof of my point is that the commentator just talked about a nation "not being seen as competitive enough for Australia to play against" (I missed who they were referring to).

Ah well, I dont want to make a Tony Grieg gaffe but I wish that both OUR teams WIN so as to stick it well and truly up dem.
howzdat

Unread post

Wicket!!!!! Smartt to Sthalekar, OUT c Campbelle b Smartt 23. 68-4 in the fourteenth over.
Last edited by howzdat on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikesiva

Unread post

Your analysis is spot on, howzdat...it forever rankles me the way international cricket is run, in favour of the Ashes team up until recently, until India joined the club. However, Michael Holding has criticised India for becoming just like the tyrants England and Australia were. It's like that George Orwell classic 'Animal Farm', where the pigs who led the revolution end up looking and behaving just like the humans they overthrew.

I think our women track athletes are appreciated....

That's the reality of international cricket unfortunately...it's still a man's game. This is where it differs from athletics, where women's achievements get a lot more attention. Who can forget the wonderful support Merlene Ottey received during her many bronze medals, and the well-attended motorcade when she finally won gold at the World Athletics Champs? And when Deon Hemmings won her gold medal in 1996 in the 400m hurdles, she was much lauded and praised.

However, it can be said that the achievements of Shelly-Ann Fraser in winning the women's 100m has been overshadowed by the achievements of Usain Bolt in the men's equivalent. Nonetheless, it would be great to see our women's cricketers at least getting the recognition that our female athletes receive....

A wicket! We got the deangerous Aussie batter Lisa Sthalekar!
howzdat

Unread post

So in the final analysis, women always have to fight for "equal billing" even when they too are wearing trousers. Sad but true. This game is moving on quickly. Australia 78/4 after 15 overs.
howzdat

Unread post

Wicket!!! 81/5 after 16 overs. Looks like umpire having a word with the bowler for 'excessive celebration' at the fall ofthat wicket. She was mimicking the umpires raised finger sending the batter back to the pavilion - with abot too much passion in the umpires mind. Nonetheless, back she must go. OUT! :D :D :D
Last edited by howzdat on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.