howzdat

General discussions
howzdat

Unread post

Here's a quote that howzdat didn't wrote:Instead it is the viewPOINT of coach Otis Gibson in answer to the question,
What would he consider to be a successful series for his side in England?
howzdat

Unread post

Ottis Delroy Gibson is a cricket coach and former player from Barbados. He was born on 16 March, 1969. He was appointed coach of the West Indies in January 2010. He also served as England’s bowling coach in September 2007. He has played two Tests and 15 ODIs for the West Indies between 1995 and 1999 as a fast bowler and useful lower-order hitter.
as posted on this website.
howzdat

Unread post

Rome wasn't built in a day so is wha' happening dey, howzdat?! Relax and let the team move forward. Game on sooon!
howzdat

Unread post

As much as I have been aiming a lot of ire against the team's performances, the state of the scoreboard on this second day fills me with great rage. The WICB & the coach are presiding over a set of affairs that gets from bad to worse. There are no excuses, no mitigating circumstances for what we see here on the cricket pitch and this is ony the 2nd day of the test match. This group is West Indian players is leaderless, on the field and off it. Do they have any plans or are the players too dim-witted to execute?
howzdat

Unread post

EIRM? Don't know yet; but reading this website: http://www.east-indians.com/ has me reminiscing about my visits to that wonderful, ancient, chaotic, mystical land of Bharat and time studying various aspects of it's traditional spiritual belief's.
howzdat

Unread post

And now I am gonna break my self-imposed vow to utter not a certain name and offer up for contemplation a hitherto unimaginable scenario: Is Darren Julius Garvey Sammy finally beginning to take his first baby steps on the path of outgrowing the coach :?: Sh1t, I gone all off-topic once again.
More later ...
howzdat

Unread post

AFRO wrote:Don't be fooled howzdat, though the "40/30" theory can have some merit to it it's not the be all and end all, Pakistan whitewashing England and NZ drawing with Australia proves that.
That was a snippet from another topic; and reading it sort of inspired me to share something a bit off-topic. The short version is that AFRO ought not to worry about me misguidedly thinking that 40/30 is the be all and end all. I do not think that, so we on the same page.

At the danger of repeating myself, the long version is thus: I know that the 40/30 theory cannot tell us what WILL happen. It tells us what is likely to happen. It tells us that the less 40/30 players you have than your opposition the less likely it is that you will win. It never says that you won't win or can't win; but that with X players and their X records there is Y or Z likliehood that they will win or lose.

AFRO did you see that post i made on the extras Wi conceeded in England's second innings of the first test match? If not check it out and study the scorecards carefully. Study them and allow your mind to wander freely over the implications of them extras. Dont hold back, just look at them numbers and think of what was really required given the game situation and you will see that the better skilled you are, the more you will bring on your A-game when things get tight.

For WI to have given away that many extras was criminal! Compare England's extras 'performance' over the two innings.

I tell you a secret, I also LOVE American Football and one of the sweetest sights for me is to see a defensive unit walk to the line of scrimmage with the ball in their red-zone and "say" to the opposition offensive line AND quarterback,
"Thou shall NOT get into OUR end zone! We WILL repel you."
And yes as the plays unfold 1st and goal turns into a scramble that ends with the QB called for intentional grounding; 2nd and 25 becomes 3rd and 32 as the quarterback is sacked. And because the offense unit needs the points the quarterback throws a hail mary on 4th down and one of the defensive playes is seen seconds later trundling his bulk up the field to score an interception touchdown. Sheer magic! and where did it start? In their own red-zone through sheer force of will and execution of skills. NOT LUCK.

You see what I mean AFRO? WI dearth of players in the 40/30 rank also tells us that they will at times contribute to their own downfall. Lack of ability to execute skills at crunch moments being one reason.

I was mad at that 40/30 theory - I posted that somewhere on here - but now i love it and it does nothing to diminish my love for the game because as you imply, unpredictable things can and do happen.
howzdat

Unread post

howzdat

Unread post

I think that anybody who has been on this earth for any amount of time AND has learnt from life's lessons, each according to his own capacity, putting things in perspective is always very helpful. While I might be blinded by my own self-opinion, I must state that my reponse to the WI victory is no way OTT.

Given the windiesfans.com persona that I have established todate, my general personality, the tenor of my posts together with the hobby horses that those posts either promote or decry, I feel that I have managed to walk that fine line between being a fan as well as a respectful student of the game pretty well.

WI won, thats it and it would be pretty small of me to do anything other than be respectful and give praise where it is indeed due in the light of the result. No way do I believe that this is a sign that Wi are 'top-team' bound, however the windies rise up the rankings has to start somewhere.

Truth is that for anyone who has been around long enough, it is clear that cricket ain't what it used to be - but every generation must have said that. Can anyone imagine some of the batters in this West Indies team facing the likes of Holding, Roberts, Gilchrist, Croft, Gibbs, Patterson, Garner, Ambrose, Lillee, Thompson, Underwood, Larwood, Bedi, Hadlee, Dev, Muralitharan. The list can go on and on but each generation has to compete against those in his cohort BUT one thing don't and that is the numbers. Rev???

WI won and if they win the second test also then the players on the sidelines know that they will be trying to break into a group that already has that winning feeling. The saying goes that success breeds success, and this progression is all that I hope for. And of course I wish to see hard fought matches and a WI rise up the test rankings. That is my perspective.