Feed the monkey

General discussions
Gils

Unread post

England football coach, Roy Hodgson is at the centre of a race storm after telling England right back Chris Smalling, a player of mixed heritage, to " feed the Monkey " in reference to Andros Townsend, during half time of Wednesday nights World Cup qualifier against Poland.

Both Hodgson and the Football Association have since issued public apologies but the story has gone on to feature prominently in both sports and news sections of today's national press.

In his efforts to get the ball to Andros Townsend, another player a mixed heritage, it's been reported Hodgson told a "joke" involving a Monkey being fed, the objective of which was for Smalling to give Townsend the ball at every chance.

It's also been confirmed that more than one player in the dressing room took offence to the joke but they remain anonymous at this time.

The joke he told.

NASA decided they’d finally send a man up in a capsule after sending only monkeys in the earlier missions,” the joke goes.

“They fire the man and the monkey into space.

“The intercom crackles, 'Monkey, fire the retros.'

“A little later, 'Monkey, check the solid fuel supply.'

“Later still, “Monkey, check the life support systems for the man.'

“The astronaut takes umbrage and radio's NASA, 'When do I get to do something?'

“NASA replies, 'In 15 minutes - feed the monkey.'”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... up-2460799" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" ;

Andros Townsend has, this morning, come to Hodgson's defense and insists no harm was meant and he was not offended.
mikesiva

Unread post

I don't think Hodgson meant to be racist with this joke, but he was rather stupid to tell this joke, given what black footballers have to endure whenever they play on the Continent....
Gils

Unread post

mikesiva wrote:I don't think Hodgson meant to be racist with this joke, but he was rather stupid to tell this joke, given what black footballers have to endure whenever they play on the Continent....
I'm not so sure, but what would I know, having never met the man. What I do know is, either way, my opinion holds very little weight in the matter.

In the same week Doreen Lawrence was named Baroness of Clarendon, for her work fighting rascists. In the same week Mail feels emboldened enough to try and dictate the terms of our discussion regarding Lord Contantine's opposition to racism.

While the white dominated sports media attempt to out the fire by suggesting the player had an alterior motive. Having never suffered from rascism, I'd like to know where they formulate these expert opinions from. From the tone of their protestations, I really will feel for the player if/when his name gets into the public domain.

The real Irony is not one week later, those same media experts turn around and call for sanctions against CSKA Moscow supporters for making monkey gesture's to Yaya Toure.

As if out of context and long winded monkey jokes are any different.
Last edited by Gils on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gils

Unread post

For him to tell the joke means he sees no reason it would offend - not ideal public relations.

To apologise after it was pointed out to him is to recognise that it had the potential to cause offense, weather he intended to or not.

IMO The English FA. authorites, media now have next to no moral ground on which they can stand and this incident will come back to bite every time a black player is abused in european competion.