Religion or Spirituality

General discussions
Gils

Unread post

" Serapis or Sarapis is a Graeco-Egyptian god.

Serapis was devised during the 3rd century BC on the orders of Ptolemy Soter (the Savior) I of Egypt as a means to unify the Greeks and Egyptians in his realm.

The god was depicted as Greek in appearance, but with Egyptian trappings, and combined iconography from a great many cults, signifying both abundance and resurrection.

A serapeum (Greek serapeion) was any temple or religious precinct devoted to Serapis. The cultus of Serapis was spread as a matter of deliberate policy by the Ptolemaic kings, who also built an immense Serapeum in Alexandria.

However, there is evidence which implies Serapis existed before the Ptolemies came to power in Alexandria - a temple of Sarapis (or Roman Serapis) in Egypt is mentioned in 323 BCE by both Plutarch (Life of Alexander, 76) and Arrian (Anabasis, VII, 26, 2).

Though Ptolemy I may have created the cult of Sarapis and endorsed him as a patron of the Ptolemaic dynasty and Alexandria, Sarapis was a syncretistic deity derived from the worship of the Egyptian Osiris and Apis (Osiris + Apis = Oserapis/Sarapis) and also gained attributes from other deities, such as chthonic powers linked to the Greek Hades and Demeter, and benevolence linked to Dionysus.

Serapis continued to increase in popularity during the Roman period, often replacing Osiris as the consort of Isis in temples outside Egypt. In 389, a mob led by the Patriarch Theophilus of Alexandria destroyed the Alexandrian Serapeum, but the cult survived until all forms of pagan religion were suppressed under Theodosius I in 391.

Under Ptolemy Soter, efforts were made to integrate Egyptian religion with that of their Hellenic rulers.

Ptolemy's policy was to find a deity that should win the reverence alike of both groups, despite the curses of the Egyptian priests against the gods of the previous foreign rulers (e.g. Set, who was lauded by the Hyksos).

Alexander the Great had attempted to use Amun for this purpose, but he was more prominent in Upper Egypt, and not as popular with those in Lower Egypt, where the Greeks had stronger influence.

The Greeks had little respect for animal-headed figures, and so a Greek-style anthropomorphic statue was chosen as the idol, and proclaimed as the equivalent of the highly popular Apis.It was named Aser-hapi (i.e. Osiris-Apis), which became Serapis, and was said to be Osiris in full, rather than just his Ka (life force).

Serapis was among the international deities whose cult was received and disseminated throughout the Roman Empire, with Anubis sometimes identified with Cerberus."

The Apis bull was a Khemetic form of Aser in a resurrected form and is likely the golden calf being worshiped in Egypt during the Bible story.

Cerebus is presently known as a comic book character.

:?:Have you ever seen this " man " before........ Image

Note, Ptolomy I Soter was a Macedonian who preceded Christ by 300 years also titled as Savior.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serapis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Last edited by Gils on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Gils

Unread post

" The Musaeum or Mouseion at Alexandria which included the famous Library of Alexandria, was an institution founded by Ptolemy I Soter or, perhaps more likely, by Ptolemy II Philadelphus.

This original Musaeum ("Institution of the Muses") was the home of music or poetry, a philosophical school and library such as Plato's Academy, also a storehouse of texts.
It did not have a collection of works of art, rather it was an institution that brought together some of the best scholars of the Hellenistic world, analogous to a modern university.

This original Musaeum was the source for the modern usage of the word museum.

More than 1,000 scholars lived in the Mouseion at a given time. (Greek Scholars copying texts from all other Khemetic temples)

Staff members and scholars were salaried by the Mouseion and paid no taxes. They also received free meals, free room and board, and free servants. (Guess who the servants were)

The Mouseion was administered by a priest appointed by the Pharaoh. (Ptolemy I appointed a Khemetic Priest as the Principal to the Museum).

The Mouseion's scholars conducted scientific research, published, lectured, and collected as much literature as possible from the known world. In addition to Greek works, foreign texts were translated from Assyrian, Persian, Jewish, Indian, and other sources.

The edited versions of the Greek literary canon that we know today, from Homer and Hesiod forward, exist in editions that were collated and corrected by the scholars assembled in the Musaeum at Alexandria.

The tradition preserved in the pseudepigraphical Letter of Aristeas which connects the Septuagint translation of the Hebrew Bible into Greek with his patronage is probably overdrawn. However, Walter Kaiser says, "There can be little doubt that the Law was translated in Philadelphus's time since Greek quotations from Genesis and Exodus appear in Greek literature before 200 B.C.

The language of the Septuagint is more like Egyptian Greek than it is like Jerusalemite Greek, according to some."

The following scholars are known to have studied, written, or performed their experiments at the Musaeum of Alexandria.

Archimedes – father of engineering
Aristarchus of Samos – proposed the first heliocentric system of the universe
Callimachus – a noted poet, critic and scholar
Erasistratus – physician and co-founder of the Academy of Medicine in Alexandria along with Herophilus
Eratosthenes – argued for a spherical earth and calculated its circumference to near-accuracy
Euclid – father of geometry
Herophilus – notable physician and founder of the scientific method
Hipparchus – founder of trigonometry
Pappus – mathematician
Hero – father of mechanics

Most of the books were kept as papyrus scrolls, and though it is unknown how many such scrolls were housed at any given time, their combined value was incalculable.

The library is famous for having been burned resulting in the loss of many scrolls and books, and has become a symbol of the destruction of cultural knowledge.

The classic period of the Musaeum did not survive the purge and expulsion of most of the intellectuals attached to it in 145 BCE "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musaeum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

The works accredited to these Greek Alexandrian scholars remains the foundation for modern philosophy, astrology plus many other modern science's so the details surrounding the loss of such a vast array of knowledge is a curious omission in history.

It should be noted that writing, three different scripts on Papyrus (paper made from dried reeds) Hieroglyphs / Medu Neter, Demotic and Hieratic was done in Kamit long before the Greeks in Alexandria, who only had the single incomplete script, became known as the fathers of European History.
Last edited by Gils on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gils

Unread post

" Incorruptibility is a Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox belief that Divine intervention allows some human bodies (specifically saints and beati) to avoid the normal process of decomposition after death as a sign of their holiness.

Bodies that undergo little or no decomposition, or delayed decomposition, are sometimes referred to as incorrupt or incorruptible.

Incorruptibility may occur even in the presence of factors which normally hasten decomposition, as in the cases of Saint Catherine of Genoa, Saint Julie Billiart, or Saint Francis Xavier.

In Roman Catholicism, if a body remains incorruptible after death, this is generally seen as a sign that the individual is a saint. Not every saint, however, is expected to have an incorruptible corpse. Although incorruptibility is recognized as supernatural, it is no longer counted as a miracle in the recognition of a saint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorruptibility" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ascension Day is the 40th day of Easter (and 40 nights!).

It occurs 39 days after Easter Sunday. It is a Christian holiday that commemorates Jesus Christ's ascension into heaven according to Christian belief.

" In Kamit it was said the spirit of the deceased remained with the body for 40 days "(and 40 nights)

Ken Jeremiah “Christian Mummification an interpretive history of the preservation of Saints, Martyrs and others.“

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gils

Unread post

Pyramid text Utterance 487, 1047 b, circa 2400 BCE

" take this thy bread, which I am giving thee; I am thy son and thine heir ".

Mark 14:22 c 200 ACE Take ye: this is my body.’(Bread)

Utterance 498 069 a. c 2400 BCE

" [Stand up] for this joint of (św.t-) meat, which is from the broad-hall; come out, receive this thy bread from my hand. "

1 Corinthians 11:23. c 200 ACE This is my body, which is for you: this do in remembrance of me.’(Bread)

Book of coming forth by day c 2400 BCE

" Homage to thee, King of kings, Lord of lords, Prince of princes "

Deuteronomy 10:17 c 200 ACE He is God of Gods and Lord of lords, prince of princes

Psalm 136:3 c 200 ACE thanks unto the Lord of lords; For his lovingkindness endureth for ever

Revelations 19:16 c 200 ACE King of Kings. lord of lords

Revelations 17;14 c 200 ACE for he is the Lord of Lords and King of Kings
Gils

Unread post

Herodotus was a Greek historian who was born in Halicarnassus, Caria (modern-day Bodrum, Turkey) and lived in the fifth century BC (c. 484–425 BC).

Widely referred to as "The Father of History" (first conferred by Cicero), he was the first historian known to collect his materials systematically and critically, and then to arrange them into a historiographic narrative.

The Histories—his masterpiece and the only work he is known to have produced—is a record of his "inquiry" (or ἱστορία historía, a word that passed into Latin and acquired its modern meaning of "history"), being an investigation of the origins of the Greco-Persian Wars and including a wealth of geographical and ethnographical information.

Although some of his stories were fanciful and others possibly inaccurate, he claimed he was reporting only what had been told to him. Little is known of his personal history.

It was His account of the Spartan battle of Thermopylae against the Persians which provided the script for 300.

The Histories Eutepre Book 2. 3

" I got much other information also from conversation with these priests while I was at Memphis (Men Nefer ) , and I even went to Heliopolis, (Anu) and to Thebes (Wasest), expressly to try weather the priests of those places would agree in their accounts with the priests at Memphis.

The Helipolitans have the reputation of being the best skilled in the history of all Eygptians.
Now with regard for mere human matters, the accounts which they gave, and in which all agreed were the following:

The Egyptians, they said, were the first to discover the course of the solar year, and to portion out its course into twelve parts, they obtained this knowledge, they said, from the stars.

To my mind they contrive this year much more cleverly than the Greeks, for these last every other year intercalate a whole month, but the Egyptians, dividing the year into twelve months on thirty days each, and every year a space of five days beside where by the circuit of the seasons is made to return to uniformity.

In most cases they proved to me that what they said to be true

The Egyptians, they went on to affirm, first brought into use the names of the twelve Gods, which the Greeks adopted from them ; and first erected altars, images and temples to the Gods ; and also first engraved upon stone the figures of animals “

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herodotus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
100 years before the Alexandrian Library or Ptolemaic dynasty in Egypt, Herodotus still serves as the primary, and often only, source for events in the Greek world, Persian Empire, and the region generally in the two centuries leading up until his own day.

Although Herodotus considered his "inquiries" a serious pursuit of knowledge, he was not above relating entertaining tales derived from the collective body of myth, but he did so judiciously with regard for his historical method, by corroborating the stories through enquiry and testing their probability.

While the gods never make personal appearances in his account of human events, Herodotus states emphatically that "many things prove to me that the gods take part in the affairs of man"
Last edited by Gils on Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gils

Unread post

:arrow: "
Last edited by Gils on Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gils

Unread post

Plato, Timaeus

Crit. Let me proceed to explain to you, Socrates, the order in which we have arranged our entertainment.

Our intention is, that Timaeus, who is the most of an astronomer amongst us, and has made the nature of the universe his special study, should speak first, beginning with the generation of the world and going down to the creation of man; next, I am to receive the men whom he has created of whom some will have profited by the excellent education which you have given them; and then, in accordance with the tale of Solon, and equally with his law, we will bring them into court and make them citizens, as if they were those very Athenians whom the sacred Egyptian record has recovered from oblivion, and thenceforward we will speak of them as Athenians and fellow-citizens.

I will tell an old-world story which I heard from an aged man; for Critias, at the time of telling it, was as he said, nearly ninety years of age, and I was about ten. Now the day was that day of the Apaturia which is called the Registration of Youth, at which, according to custom, our parents gave prizes for recitations, and the poems of several poets were recited by us boys, and many of us sang the poems of Solon, which at that time had not gone out of fashion. One of our tribe, either because he thought so or to please Critias, said that in his judgment Solon was not only the wisest of men, but also the noblest of poets.

The old man, as I very well remember, brightened up at hearing this and said, smiling: Yes, Amynander, if Solon had only, like other poets, made poetry the business of his life, and had completed the tale which he brought with him from Egypt, and had not been compelled, by reason of the factions and troubles which he found stirring in his own country when he came home, to attend to other matters, in my opinion he would have been as famous as Homer or Hesiod, or any poet.

And what was the tale about, Critias? said Amynander.

About the greatest action which the Athenians ever did, and which ought to have been the most famous, but, through the lapse of time and the destruction of the actors, it has not come down to us.

Tell us, said the other, the whole story, and how and from whom Solon heard this veritable tradition.

He replied:-In the Egyptian Delta, at the head of which the river Nile divides, there is a certain district which is called the district of Sais, and the great city of the district is also called Sais, and is the city from which King Amasis came.

The citizens have a deity for their foundress; she is called in the Egyptian tongue Neith, and is asserted by them to be the same whom the Hellenes call Athene; they are great lovers of the Athenians, and say that they are in some way related to them.

To this city came Solon, and was received there with great honour; he asked the priests who were most skilful in such matters, about antiquity, and made the discovery that neither he nor any other Hellene knew anything worth mentioning about the times of old. On one occasion, wishing to draw them on to speak of antiquity, he began to tell about the most ancient things in our part of the world-about Phoroneus, who is called "the first man," and about Niobe; and after the Deluge, of the survival of Deucalion and Pyrrha; and he traced the genealogy of their descendants, and reckoning up the dates, tried to compute how many years ago the events of which he was speaking happened.

Thereupon one of the priests, who was of a very great age, said: O Solon, Solon, you Hellenes are never anything but children, and there is not an old man among you. Solon in return asked him what he meant.

I mean to say, he replied, that in mind you are all young; there is no old opinion handed down among you by ancient tradition, nor any science which is hoary with age. And I will tell you why.

There have been, and will be again, many destructions of mankind arising out of many causes; the greatest have been brought about by the agencies of fire and water, and other lesser ones by innumerable other causes.

There is a story, which even you have preserved, that once upon a time Paethon, the son of Helios, having yoked the steeds in his father's chariot, because he was not able to drive them in the path of his father, burnt up all that was upon the earth, and was himself destroyed by a thunderbolt.

Now this has the form of a myth, but really signifies a declination of the bodies moving in the heavens around the earth, and a great conflagration of things upon the earth, which recurs after long intervals; at such times those who live upon the mountains and in dry and lofty places are more liable to destruction than those who dwell by rivers or on the seashore. And from this calamity the Nile, who is our never-failing saviour, delivers and preserves us. When, on the other hand, the gods purge the earth with a deluge of water, the survivors in your country are herdsmen and shepherds who dwell on the mountains, but those who, like you, live in cities are carried by the rivers into the sea.

Whereas in this land, neither then nor at any other time, does the water come down from above on the fields, having always a tendency to come up from below; for which reason the traditions preserved here are the most ancient.

The fact is, that wherever the extremity of winter frost or of summer does not prevent, mankind exist, sometimes in greater, sometimes in lesser numbers. And whatever happened either in your country or in ours, or in any other region of which we are informed-if there were any actions noble or great or in any other way remarkable, they have all been written down by us of old, and are preserved in our temples.

Whereas just when you and other nations are beginning to be provided with letters and the other requisites of civilized life, after the usual interval, the stream from heaven, like a pestilence, comes pouring down, and leaves only those of you who are destitute of letters and education; and so you have to begin all over again like children, and know nothing of what happened in ancient times, either among us or among yourselves. As for those genealogies of yours which you just now recounted to us, Solon, they are no better than the tales of children.

In the first place you remember a single deluge only, but there were many previous ones; in the next place, you do not know that there formerly dwelt in your land the fairest and noblest race of men which ever lived, and that you and your whole city are descended from a small seed or remnant of them which survived. And this was unknown to you, because, for many generations, the survivors of that destruction died, leaving no written word.

For there was a time, Solon, before the great deluge of all, when the city which now is Athens was first in war and in every way the best governed of all cities, is said to have performed the noblest deeds and to have had the fairest constitution of any of which tradition tells, under the face of heaven.

Plato. Plato in Twelve Volumes, Vol. 9 translated by W.R.M. Lamb. Cambridge, MA, Harvard University Press; London, William Heinemann Ltd. 1925.

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/timaeus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" ;
mikesiva

Unread post

An interesting documentary....

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gils

Unread post

Well it says Moses wrote the first five books of the bible but if he wandered around in the desert for forty years then I'd expect he was more likely prone to sunstroke than publishing.

Nevertheless there are now more than 66 books currently in the bible so I think its safe to deduce the 60 odd additions were all authored by persons other than God or Moses.

That Gods word would need to be upgraded and amended is a testament to the unlimited potential of belief, while to say they were all directly inspired by God opens up the can of worms from which Boko Haram, Al Shabab, Al queda, KKK etc emerge.
Gils

Unread post

Ok Mike, I've actually watched more than the first five minutes now :) and a couple of things spring to mind.

1 - I don't see where Moses could get papyrus in the desert to write on or the dye's used as ink.

2 - The use of both Yahweh and Elohim is not monotheistic, which would make it pagan.

3 - Re : Marks Gospel, reckoned to be the earliest (NT) at 70 AD, has no historical corroboration and wasn't signed or dated so it's unclear if the accounts are true or who really authored it.

Kemit has no such problem, it's records, temples, language, three scripts, numbers, traditions and practices are extensively well documented, either in granite, sandstone, limestone, tombs, coffins or papyrus.

To date, the oldest, largest and most accurate of all Ancient cultures to be recorded.

4 - The King of Judah from 715 - 686 BC is Hezekiah, who is said to be responsible for the restoration of the temples and the outlawing of all the other gods worshiped by Israelites :!: used Kemitic iconography 550 years after the supposed exile from Kemit.

The winged scarab beetle which is flanked by two Ankhs is Kemitic in origin and nowhere near to the Lion of Judah symbol or Star of David of today's Israelites.

That would be to say Kemitic spirituality, in one form or another, was being practised within the restored Israelite temples and sacred places, by command of the King of Judah, Hezekiah.
Last edited by Gils on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:30 am, edited 5 times in total.