Groups: Prosecute Rutgers case as hate crime

General discussions
socafighter

Unread post

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39445225/ns ... ?GT1=43001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some gay rights groups are urging that New Jersey's hate crime law be used in the case of the Rutgers student who committed suicide after an intimate encounter with another student was shown on the Internet.

The state's hate crime law is among the strictest in the nation, and it works as most of them do. It's not an offense charged on its own. Instead, it's invoked at sentencing to seek a harsher penalty. The criminal charges filed so far in the case — invasion of privacy — would qualify for a hate crime enhancement, say legal experts in the state.

Technolog: Internet was help — and hell — for Rutgers freshman
According to the Middlesex County prosecutor, New Jersey's invasion of privacy statutes make it a crime "to collect or view images depicting nudity or sexual contact involving another individual without that person's consent." It's a separate crime to transmit or distribute those images. The penalty can include a prison term of up to five years.

If the hate crime enhancement were applied, it would raise the maximum penalty to 10 years.

Tyler Clementi, 18, jumped off New York City's George Washington Bridge into the Hudson River last week. His body was identified on Thursday after being found in the river a day before.

Most popular Updated 74 minutes ago Outrage on campus after sex-video suicide
America’s ‘cheapest family’: ‘We are hope and change’
Survey: Atheists most knowledgeable about religion
Did secret webcam lead to student’s suicide?
Gay rights groups say Rutgers suicide a hate crime
..Clementi's roommate, Dharun Ravi, and fellow Rutgers freshman Molly Wei, both 18, have been charged with invading Clementi's privacy. Prosecutors say that they used a webcam to surreptitiously transmit a live image of Clementi having sex Sept. 19 and that Ravi tried to webcast a second encounter on Sept. 21, the day before Clementi's suicide.
socafighter

Unread post

A brilliant young man is dead , it matters not if he was gay now is it. Parents will now have to bury a son.He was only 18 years old.

WHY ?.....two idiots posted personal stuff on the internet .Now both will face prosecution and should end up in jail . In the end all loses.

Three families will now face the world with sad stories . 3 young lives destroyed. What was the gain in this
situation ....popularity ,fame , fortune etc etc or insecurity, hate or revenge.

We have people on this forum and others with big smiles on their faces posting personal information about others ,what is the purpose ? As humans ,are we really the most intelligent species on this planet.On occassion's as this I wonder .Today ,I am left wondering how many have ended up this way as this young man

RIP Tyler Clementi.....we didnt get to know you . :( :(

Bally ..I noticed a warning one on my profile ....can you please delete my membership .Lose my email also ,dont write to me asking me where I am . Next time will tell you to fck off ...

My last posting.
BallOil

Unread post

Sad story....

Soca ... what I did now?
BallOil

Unread post

Soca you gone just suh? Dimmy took the fighter out of you? :)