Picking the WI team

West Indies cricket discussions
Maldini3

Unread post

Let's be serious about what we have available to us and who really are "sure" picks.

Opener
Opener
Batsmen
Batsmen
Jason Holder
Roston Chase
Shane Dowrich
Spinner
Kemar Roach
Bowler
Shannon Gabriel

There are 6 places to fill. Those 3 in the middle can battle for position 5 based on form. Right now Jase is ranked as our top batsman at 34 in the world and only Kemar just passed him as highest ranked bowler.
Maldini3

Unread post

Hodge
Campbell
Hope
Hetmyer
Holder
Chase
Dowrich
Cornwall
Roach
Paul if fit (Chemar Holder)/Warrican if spinning track.
Gabriel

Diversity in attack and forces the batsmen to take responsibility for batting and not use the long tail. Give Kraigg a rest and Bravo some first class cricket.
mikesiva

Unread post

It's quite alarming that only half the team deserve their place in the side...unfortunately, the cupboard is quite bare.

If the WICB are serious, they will have to make some serious surgery to the side after this Test match. But I suspect they're not serious....

Sadly, Hodge didn't do particularly well in the A team series, and Solozano needs to have a good FC season before being picked. So, I think we're stuck with Kraigg for the immediate future!

When does the 4-day competition start? We'll have to watch that, and see what it throws up....

I'm not convinced Cornwall is the answer, but I think they might as well give him a chance. I think Holder should move up to six, and take the batting allrounder's role. I'd like to drop Bravo, but IMHO he's the only batsman in this side capable of getting his Test average over 40. But like Hope, Bravo's form has been worryingly poor.

For what it's worth....

1) Kraigg
2) Campbell
3) Hope/Bravo
4) Hetmyer
5) Chase
6) Holder
7) Dowrich
8) Cornwall
9) Roach
10) Paul/Warrican
11) Gabriel
Maldini3

Unread post

Good side once Dowrich is fit, Jase has to come into the top 7. Right now he's ranked our highest batsman and second highest bowler.
mikesiva

Unread post

I wish I could agree it's a good side, but the sorry performance at Sabina Park seems to indicate that this team is anything but a good side....

However, it seems to be the best we have...which is a sorry sight!