Chris Gayle, living it large, scoring nothing ... again.

West Indies cricket discussions
Googley

Unread post

looking at the way he got out against the Tallawah's young paceman, his test career might be ova. pace like fiyah!
howzdat

Unread post

West Indies 176 for 9 (Lewis 51, Gayle 40, Rashid 3-25, Plunkett 3-27) beat England 155 (Hales 43, Brathwaite 3-20, Williams 3-35) by 21 runs

Enjoyable match! Well played Chris. West Indies showed true grit to win through in the end. Hope we see much of the same in the 50 over leg of the tour.
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

West Indies 176 for 9 (Lewis 51, Gayle 40, Rashid 3-25, Plunkett 3-27) beat England 155 (Hales 43, Brathwaite 3-20, Williams 3-35) by 21 runs

Enjoyable match! Well played Chris. West Indies showed true grit to win through in the end. Hope we see much of the same in the 50 over leg of the tour.

Does the fact that he was run out from backward point at the bowler's end taking a comfortable single indicate that he is no longer fit enough to run between the wickets or that he simply can't be bothered to bat for more than half an hour (either one of which would seem at odds with his claimed interest in playing test cricket again)?

Anyone know the way to the nearest nightclub?
howzdat

Unread post

Gayle's fitness - translated into running between the wickets - would be a concern for me. This is most likely the final tour party (pun intended) to England that he'll make so succession plans ought to be well understood. I took his statements about making the test team with a pinch of salt and I hope that the selectors do too.
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

howzdat wrote:Gayle's fitness - translated into running between the wickets - would be a concern for me. This is most likely the final tour party (pun intended) to England that he'll make so succession plans ought to be well understood. I took his statements about making the test team with a pinch of salt and I hope that the selectors do too.
Here is one description of his dismissal in the T20 match on 16 September 2017:
"But then Gayle had one of those curious brain fades that occasionally afflicts his game. Carving the ball to point, he was utterly oblivious as Lewis called him through for a single. Like a man too comfortable to get up and walk to the fridge, and who therefore has to convince himself that he is not actually hungry, Gayle made only the most ceremonial of efforts to reach his ground, putting in neither sprint nor dive, before retreating to the relative warmth of the dugout.

It seemed comically harmless enough at the time, but in retrospect it was a turning point. Gayle’s 40 had laid a platform, but that was all it had done ... "
Source: West Indies continue T20 stranglehold over England as they defy distinctly un-Caribbean weather

If he is not injured - and I would not be surprised if he is - this calls into doubt the possibility of playing in cricket matches that last five days rather than three hours.
mikesiva

Unread post

Gayle 94 from 78, even at 38 and carrying an injured hamstring he is still the best batsman in the side.
8-)
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

MarcusGarveyLives wrote:
howzdat wrote:Gayle's fitness - translated into running between the wickets - would be a concern for me. This is most likely the final tour party (pun intended) to England that he'll make so succession plans ought to be well understood. I took his statements about making the test team with a pinch of salt and I hope that the selectors do too.
Here is one description of his dismissal in the T20 match on 16 September 2017:
"But then Gayle had one of those curious brain fades that occasionally afflicts his game. Carving the ball to point, he was utterly oblivious as Lewis called him through for a single. Like a man too comfortable to get up and walk to the fridge, and who therefore has to convince himself that he is not actually hungry, Gayle made only the most ceremonial of efforts to reach his ground, putting in neither sprint nor dive, before retreating to the relative warmth of the dugout.

It seemed comically harmless enough at the time, but in retrospect it was a turning point. Gayle’s 40 had laid a platform, but that was all it had done ... "
Source: West Indies continue T20 stranglehold over England as they defy distinctly un-Caribbean weather

If he is not injured - and I would not be surprised if he is - this calls into doubt the possibility of playing in cricket matches that last five days rather than three hours.
3rd ODI, West Indies tour of England at Bristol, September 24 2017

"West Indies' best hope of pulling off a stunning chase was Gayle, playing in only his second ODI since the 2015 World Cup.

For a while, it seemed possible, with the left-hander smearing the ball behind point, heaving to mid-wicket and chipping Moeen's off-spin for three successive straight sixes.

But, as he closed in on a century, his lackadaisical attitude to running between the wickets was his undoing as he failed to beat Adil Rashid's direct hit from mid-wicket ..."

Source: England v West Indies: Moeen Ali hits 53-ball century in Bristol win

badpepper

Unread post

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... hris-gayle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;