Jason Holder believes that aggressive fast bowling key

West Indies cricket discussions
BallOil

Unread post

Jason Holder believes that aggressive fast bowling is the key for West Indies after win over Pakistan

There’s no secret to Jason Holder’s game plan now - the West Indies captain is ready to unleash the fury.

Much has been made of his powerhouse batting line-up, with names like Chris Gayle, Shai Hope, Nicholas Pooran, Shimron Hetmyer and Andre Russell enough to strike fear into any bowling attack.

But it was Holder’s bowlers that provided the destructive force at Trent Bridge, an all-seam attack that brought back memories of the past as they laced together aggression, hostility and speed in a combination that proved deadly to Pakistan.

The two-time champions bowled their rivals out for just 105 in 21.4 overs - Pakistan's second lowest total in ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup history.

Oshane Thomas took 4-27, Holder 3-42 and Russell a scorching 2-4 in just three eye-catching overs as only two Pakistan batsmen passed 20.

“We want to remain aggressive and that’s through good fast bowling,” said Holder.

“Our style is to be aggressive, whoever we are playing against. If you aren’t picking up wickets then you are never going to contain teams.

“It’s good to see a lot of short balls and the discipline and aggression we showed was great. We stacked the overs nicely together and really built the pressure on them.

“If we feel a batsman is susceptible to a short ball then it will be an option we will use.”

Pakistan fans outnumbered their rivals and made their feelings known as Russell aimed down consecutive short deliveries as he rattled in from the Radcliffe Road end.

Holder’s contribution started before a ball had been bowled, this was definitely a toss to win on a lively pitch that gave the bowlers some encouragement under overcast skies.

“I’ve had not much luck with the toss recently, so it was a nice to call one right for the boys with the overhead conditions and a fresh wicket," he added.

“I wanted to bat second, I always back us chasing with a deep batting line up we have. Oshane was excellent. It’s great to see him in running in and bowling fast. We just have to stay consistent and not get carried way. He’s been outstanding and that creates a buzz throughout the entire team.

“It was a great start and while we bowled really well, it was a very clinical performance with the bat too.”

Australia are next for Holder’s men, a team that will be able to cope with the short stuff better than Pakistan, who looked bemused by what was raining down upon them.

“I’m not thinking too far ahead,” added Holder.

“It’s a long tournament and we have to focus on what we can control. We need to stay clinical and maintain this momentum.” (ICC)
Barryfal

Unread post

I see Kohli has been awarded something called the Arjuna award.

I assume this is awarded annually to the biggest to captain an international cricket time in the preceding 12 months?
Barryfal

Unread post

I see Kohli has been awarded something called the Arjuna award.

I assume this is awarded annually to the biggest to captain an international cricket time in the preceding 12 months?