How to get in trouble as a cricket captain......?

West Indies cricket discussions
mapoui

Unread post

matchstik loves living dangerously!? 8-)
mmmm!

so if you go start a business den, you go go la blash and start up, and learn, on the last day before your effort fails for lack of knowledge and skill.

I wonder who go feed you and yuh family den?

man look here...if westindie are to address our spin deficiency there are ways that do no warrant lessons by way of deliberately batting last in games you doh want to lose to test yuhself!

wat in the hey yu talkin about man?

we have plenty spin in titty and BG - Guyana. it is either we make strong demestic competitions in those territories in which all westindians can be hired onto teams to play there....or to make a regional first class tournament at club level to widen exposure to spin even more.

and as our domestic seasons coincides with some forrin winters it may be possible to bring in test spinners to tek part in our season to school our bwoys.

in fact I can see many Indian and Pak spinners, Lankans... very very good but not in their tess sides, who can come in and play, to not only improve our batting to spin, but our spinners too who are not the best in the world and need exposure to the top class in the world in that field.

it doh mek sense to wait to learn in the heat of battle when losing is tears. it makes all the sense in the world to prepare for the battle when preparation is not a math problem without solution...just one of common sense and proper planning!

"an' on the day when rain falls and you have to send in the opposition..."

man wat wrang with you? yu never see westindies in dat same position, have to send the opposition in because deh would run through our batting in the wet conditions...and we cyar run through theirs with our bowling despite the help from the weather...and we still get we tail cut?

we wud lose batting first second third and last, rain or shine....3, 4 and 5 days...regardless of the time available!

the point is that you must condition yourself with the right thing, the right tactics, the right thinking, the positive thing to do in all circumstances to prepare yourself for success.

it may be that despite the rain we should bat first...if your bowling is useless. if half a day is lost then we may have a chance to draw the game.

but I never established that we had to bat first regardless of such developments (tenks ball oil)...only in the normal flow.... the game starts on time and looks to run its course. if the game starts on time bat first. make a plan batting first that seeks to defeat your opposition even if you know they are stronger. you do the same if you lose the toss.

the whole idea is to make use of your smarts. batting last is no assist, no advantage, and westindies have not won batting last save in the most odd circumstances like breaking a record.... setting a new one of 418 to win a test.

but look here, as balloil pointed out...you cyan count on the fingers of any of your hands assuming they all have five fingers each, how many times 400+ have been scored in a test to win a match...or a big 300...or even 250 plus.(jess kidding yuh)

but while you have to avoid batting last it can also be a positive, a tactic, to do your best to have your opposition bat last, so you cyan squeeze them! and it is also important that you try to ensure you develop the essentials of batting last when you have to, and survive..or win!

I am as flexible as is necessary but it does not mean I am a fool, always buying unnecessary trouble, sending in my oppostion all the time. the only advantage of that for the westindies over the last lil while, is extreme fitness that likely resulted from fielding the ton of runs over the days and days we have chased leather on the cricket fields of thr world, sending in the opposition when we won the toss :D :D :D
Last edited by mapoui on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mapoui

Unread post

do get vex eh matchstick. I jess foolin' aroun' wit' you!

but leh mih show yu how ridiculous westindies could get an' almost lose a tess, of all places at the old ARG!

westindies under carl hooper pick ramnarine against RSA some years ago. at the last minute, realising that the pitch would take spin deh rush McGarell up the islands and included him the side. we started with 2 spinners for the first time in a long time.

and you know wat...sir carl Hopoper wins the toss and promptly sends RSA in to bat!

yu ever see insanity like that in yuh life!? :shock: :shock:

so why pick the extra spinner if you did not have the fourth inning and the fifth day in mind... with the pitch wearing and worn-out from the first four days,...when it is supposed to help the spinners most?

Hoops handed this advantage straight to RSA, jess like dat, apposed to the selction westindies had decided upon and done, given the perceived conditions for the match.

of course westindies ended up with the last pair at the wicket holding orn fuh dear life to save the game, with the Saffie off-spinner Nicky Borje bowling rings around westindies.

batting first, it would have been RSA up against this wall not the westindies,...struggling with Ramnarine and McGarrell, who were better bowlers than Borje.

from then on I knew that Carl Hooper was totally nuts, a very stupid man whose back I could not wait to see as westindies captain and player. that was the most stupid, self-destructive thing I ever saw a westindian captain do, apart froms Sobers declaration at the Oval in 1968.

it proves beyond doubt the complexities of batting last...if we needed any such proof. we need not even mention the travails of gayle in his career of sending in the oppositon on winning the toss.

yu are not supposed to put yourself behind an 8-ball. if yu get beat yu get beat but you must fight all the way to the bell! and you must do no foolish, avoidable things that harm your chances
Last edited by mapoui on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BallOil

Unread post

Well said Mapoui.... 8-)
we have plenty spin in titty and BG.
Where is BG?

Looks like Matchy gone... :)
mapoui

Unread post

BG...is british Giuana...Guyanas' old colonial name!
yu din know dat? :D :D

another name for Guyana was Demerrara! :D :D I think dat was or is wat the Dutch used to call the Guianas!
BallOil

Unread post

mapoui wrote:BG...is british Giuana...Guyanas' old colonial name!
yu din know dat? :D :D

another name for Guyana was Demerrara! :D :D I think dat was or is wat the Dutch used to call the Guianas!
I know ..meh from deh :D but they changed the name in 60s... :lol: Historically, the region was known as the "Guianas"
mapoui

Unread post

I like to fool around, adding a lil' sweetness here and there with ole' talk to spice up tings :D
BallOil

Unread post

mapoui wrote:I like to fool around, adding a lil' sweetness here and there with ole' talk to spice up tings :D
I hear ya and like it... 8-) :D
matchstick

Unread post

BallOil wrote:
matchstick wrote:
only and idiot would win the toss and chose to bat first on a day when rain delayed play for almost a whole session.

The right call on that toss was reflected on the score Zim got in the 1st innings and eventually the Win.
If we check the stats...team batting first win most of of time or chance of drawing ...
nah man here are the stats..

Batting first after winning the toss

fielding first after winning the toss

graph of loss % based on that data

India and WI stats would probably be a bit biased because in their prime they were a spin (4th innings) and a seam (1st innings) bowling attack respectively.

Just to make sure we are all on the same page. The graph shows loss percentage. So you want the blue to be lower than the red to justify his theory....

ps. my bad about friday.. did not get around that way. I might be out there tonight but now sure what time... we'll catch up on the weekend if anything..
BallOil

Unread post

that depends on the quality of the teams and which one batting fuss ..no? :)

P.s. give me a call if you in the area tonight...
matchstick

Unread post

mapoui wrote:do get vex eh matchstick. I jess foolin' aroun' wit' you!
'

i did not get a chance to read your whole posts...

i neva vex mon... we jus chattin...

check out my post above though...

moral of the story... you gotta make a decision on the toss based on team strengths and playing/pitch conditions...