howzdat

General discussions
howzdat

Unread post

Was/Is CARICOM -intended to be - culturally West Indian?

I think this question lifted from maps offering together with some personal stuff that I wrote but deleted is how i instinctively find myself approaching this topic. Admittedly it is a completely different one to that which NwadikeTT asked for our views on but ...

Are there West Indian Brits or British West Indians or West Indians dis-located, but well settled, in some foreign land where one way their cultural identity is accommodated (for instance) is in the ethnic section of a super market?

Personally, my love for cricket is one way that I be West Indian and another is my love for the particular way that west indian-ness is expressed through use of language.

It can be argued that West Indians play cricket in a unique way, and when played well, the west indian brand is compelling to cricket lovers the world over! And thus, maybe, the norms and customs of being west indian ought to be taught in schools so as to underscore what is (should be?) a natural expression at home... but if for instance we all get submerged into being USAnians then ...

And so I come back to the matter of Politics ... Would there be any benefit to caribbean peoples and society in making the teaching and study of our cricket history an integral part of the education system?
howzdat

Unread post

So, what's been going on, with ya'll and yours? Mighty fine is the hope from where i be bidding you howdy :lol:

If you regard yourself as a relative newcomer to this forum/topic but have been reading my contributions in other places and wonder what the heck is this lunacy that has unleashed itself upon windiesfans.com then please accept my sympathies as I extend a warm welcome to the club.

As with all of us real life sort of caught up with yours truly and ... but appears that cricket has returned as a focal point of interest in dis life and so amongst other things as yet to be realized, I wanted to share an experience I had last year around a trip I took to the marvellously civilised city of Amsterdam. Wow :!: :!: I could live there, most definitely.

Well you can imagine that, given a few of my personal predlictions alluded
to elsewhere, Amsterdam would be well up my street :lol: :lol: :lol:

I speak of course about my dietary preference for the I not to consume flesh & blood but rather ital dishes cooked in spiritual consciousness (go cleanup your thought machine :lol: ). Because of this preference whenever i think of travelling to foreign, the the matter of where i am gonna be eating is always of Paramount importance :roll: On this matter i am a vegan.

So whilst preparing to visit that fair land I happened to enter vegan amsterdam into a search engine and armed myself with a list of likely sounding establishments. But please, as you read this, have absolutely no doubt that I was well prepared to eat water and drink bread - another favourite of mine. Lord, is howzdat love a flour I tell you :lol: - for the entire duration of the trip if things did not look to my liking :!: Anyway back to Amsterdam ...

From the minute I reach, the place feel nice, nice and sun was shining brightly in june and so is catch i catch a tan :roll: Yes aye, the dreads unfurled and i & i was just irie. Checking the list and my location i head out to a Hare Krishna joint. As to be expected i ate well. Next day i reach to the TerraZen Centre ... to be continued.
howzdat

Unread post

5.1 Johnson to Dilshan, FOUR, overpitched from Mitch as this one is driven through long off quite comfortably for a boundary
5.2 Johnson to Dilshan, FOUR, and again, this time straighter from Dilshan, as he pays the price once more for delivering in the slot
5.3 Johnson to Dilshan, FOUR, makes it three in a row as he raises the roof at the SCG with a heave to this fuller delivery on off, sending this high over deep midwicket before it landed at the rope after a couple of bounces
5.4 Johnson to Dilshan, FOUR, Dilshan is taking on Mitchell at the SCG as he pulls this shortish length from the left-arm pacer over backward square to make it four in four. Really got that one out of the screws.
5.5 Johnson to Dilshan, FOUR, Mitchell is being taken to the cleaners here as he smokes away this overpitched length outside off through the covers for a boundary. Has already taken 20 from the over, and there is still a delivery to go. Mitchell just turns back and heads to his bowling mark
5.6 Johnson to Dilshan, FOUR, Dilshan makes it six in a row as he initially looked to play at this fuller delivery before noticing the change of pace to adjust his shot as he pushed at the length to get it away to the extra-cover boundary. The outfield makes sure this reaches the target in the end
howzdat

Unread post

howzdat Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:26 pm wrote:According to his record collection, first there was Marvin Gaye~Got to give it up and then one day it might also include robin thicke feat. t.i. & pharrell blurred lines.

Got it :?: :!: Good, so as the youth dem does say nowadays, "Jus fess up, man" :!: Or do you think we're thicko's :?:

PS. Do they, whoever they may be, think we were born yesterday :?: :!: Ah well, better mek them know that I for one been listening to music since before my first breath.

So Marvin, over to you and no haggling brother.

BY BEN KAYEON MARCH 10, 2015, 9:44PM
Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams have been ordered to pay $7.3 million dollars in damages to Marvin Gaye’s estate after losing a copyright infringement trial. A jury has found the music duo guilty of copying Gaye’s 1977 hit “Got to Give It Up” for their 2013 smash hit “Blurred Lines”.

Re-posted here from: http://consequenceofsound.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all rights of originator respected.
The verdict was handed down by an eight-person jury following a week-long trial. The ruling comes after nearly two years of legal drama, including Thicke’s last-ditch efforts to pin the blame on Williams. During the proceedings, Thicke sang a selection of songs by the likes of U2, The Beatles, and Michael Jackson from the witness stand to illustrate how tracks could have similar chord progressions and yet still sound different. To counter those claims, prosecutors brought up numerous interviews in which Thicke and Williams mention Gaye directly, including several where Thicke specifically cited “Got to Give It Up” and Williams claimed he was “trying to pretend” he was the Motown legend as he wrote the track.

For his part, Williams was asked to perform the bass line from both songs during the trial, after which he admitted there was a similarity when played side-by-side. Still, Williams attempted to argue that the songs shared “vibe”, and that “Blurred Lines” was not a direct copy. “The last thing you want to do as a creator is take something of someone else’s when you love him,” he was quoted as saying.

The jury clearly disagreed. T.I. and Star Trak/Interscope records were found harmless, and will not be part of the $7.3 million payment.
howzdat

Unread post

I read somewhere that
CHELSEA will look to strengthen their defensive ranks with a £40m bid for Real Madrid star Raphael Varane. Sources in Spain claim Jose Mourinho is seriously questioning his defensive options and will renew his efforts to sign Varane in the summer.
Chelsea conceded two goals from set-pieces in Wednesday night's Champions League clash, with the ability of Gary Cahill seriously under question.
Manchester United are also in the running to sign the French international - but the influence of Mourinho could prove pivotal when the transfer window reopens.
Mourinho brought Varane to the Bernabeu in 2011, so may invariably contribute to his next destination.

The 21-year-old is already known to be displeased with his lack of first-team action, and is irked by his 'luxury substitute' status. And Pepe's recently signed contract extension will only fast-track Varane's decision to seriously assess his future.
Dear Mr Roman,

It's still far be it for me to imagine how to spend money the likes as you are purported to be worth; so i will charge you only three million's worth of a currency to be named by me at a future date for this bit of consultancy!

Consultancy starts: If Mourinho requests that you obtaIn the services of Raphael Varane in pursuit of your ambitions to be at the helm of a football club that aims to be amongst the best, then nike! Got It? Good.

Trust me on this one Roman.

Reading this will imply full agreement on your part.

Consultancy Ends.

That'll be all for now as I know you are a really, really busy person.

btw unlike the Russian rouble my consultancy fee for this bit of business ONLY increases,

regards

howzdat

We still keeping tabs on this one here: http://tinyurl.com/qbdm8tf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howzdat

Unread post

Last edited by howzdat on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
howzdat

Unread post

UNA-UK wrote to the UK government in May 2010, asking it to reconsider its position on the MPA:

UNA-UK is writing to express its concerns regarding the decision announced on 1 April 2010 to establish a ‘no-take’ Marine Protected Area (MPA) in the British Indian Ocean Territory, which includes the Chagos Islands.

While UNA-UK welcomes the efforts to protect the Chagos archipelago and notes that in his announcement, former Foreign Secretary David Miliband described the decision as “without prejudice to the outcome of the current, pending proceedings before the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR)”, we are disappointed that neither his statement nor the consultation document made reference to the representations by members of the Chagossian diaspora for recognition of their ‘right to return’.

The UN Human Rights Committee, which monitors implementation of the UK’s obligations under the International Covenant of Civil and Political Rights, has twice recommended (most recently in 2008) that the UK should uphold the right of the Chagos Islanders to return. This position was echoed in a 2008 Foreign Affairs Select Committee Report on Overseas Territories, and reiterated several times by MPs and Lords from the three main political parties in the 6 April parliamentary debates.

The UK government has long recognised the plight of the Chagossians. Former FCO Minister Chris Bryant repeatedly stated during the 6 April Commons debate how much the UK regrets the ‘shameful’ treatment of the Chagossians in the 1960s and 1970s. In a letter to the UK Chagos Support Association just prior to the general election, the new Foreign Secretary, William Hague, said that “if elected to serve as the next British government, we will work to ensure a fair settlement of this long-standing dispute”. Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg also made a strong statement, saying “[the Liberal Democrats] have actively supported [the Chagossian] cause in the past and we will continue to aid their campaign to see justice done. We have been appalled that the [previous] government has wasted time, money and effort defending the indefensible”.

UNA-UK believes that the environmental and human rights objectives pertaining to Chagos are not necessarily incompatible, and that it is vital to ensure that the Chagossians are fully involved in the process of fleshing out the details of the MPA.

We therefore urge the new UK government to:

work with the Chagossians (and all other relevant parties) on an MPA solution that takes into account their right to self-determination as set out in the two International Covenants and the Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, and simultaneously provides adequate protection for a very precious marine ecosystem; consider, once the outcome of the ECHR decision is known, the recommendations made by the UN Human Rights Committee on the right of Chagossians to return; and report on the situation in the UK’s next periodic report to the UN Human Rights Committee.

http://www.una.org.uk/news/13/02/icj-he ... lands-case" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UN ruling raises hope of return for exiled Chagos islanders
Britain acted illegally, say judges in scathing ruling that upholds Mauritius’s rights and restricts US ability to expand ‘rendition’ air base on Diego Garcia

Britain acted illegally in the way it has exercised territorial control over the Chagos Islands, a UN tribunal has ruled, raising questions over the UK’s claim to sovereignty and offering hope of return to hundreds of evicted islanders.

In a withering judgment, the UK is accused of creating a marine protected area (MPA) to suit its electoral timetable, snubbing the rights of its former colony Mauritius and cosying up to the United States, which has a key military base – allegedly used for the rendition of terrorist suspects – on the largest island, Diego Garcia.

The ruling effectively throws into doubt the UK’s assertion of absolute ownership, restricts the Americans’ ability to expand their facility without Mauritian compliance and boosts the chances of exiled Chagossians being able to return to their homeland.

A dissenting opinion from two of the five judges on the permanent court of arbitration at The Hague is even more scathing, stating that “British and American defence interests were put above Mauritius’s rights” both in 1965 when the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT) was established and in 2010 when the marine zone, which involves a ban on fishing, was set up.

The ruling, which was made under the 1982 United Nations convention on the law of the sea to which the UK is a signatory, is binding. It torpedoes the status of the MPA and orders the UK and Mauritius to renegotiate. By coincidence, the government this week declared another marine protected area around Pitcairn Island in the southern Pacific.

The five-judge panel found that the creation of the MPA, announced by the former foreign secretary David Miliband in the final months of the last Labour government, breached its obligations to consult nearby Mauritius and illegally deprived it of fishing rights.

The US was “consulted in a timely manner and provided with information”, all five judges state, whereas a meeting with Mauritius in 2009 reminded the tribunal “of ships passing in the night, in which neither side fully engaged with the other regarding fishing rights or the proposal for the MPA”.

The government of Mauritius will view the judgment as a resounding victory, vindication of its ultimate right to sovereignty over the archipelago and confirmation that it must be consulted about future developments on the islands.

The UK has promised to return the Chagos Islands to Mauritius when they are no longer needed for defence purposes.

Mauritius has argued that the UK illegally detached the Chagos archipelago from Mauritius in 1965 – before the country was given its independence – contrary to UN general assembly resolution 1514, which specifically banned the breakup of colonies prior to independence.

The judgment declares: “The United Kingdom’s undertaking to return the Chagos archipelago to Mauritius gives Mauritius an interest in significant decisions that bear upon the possible future uses of the archipelago. Mauritius’ interest is not simply in the eventual return of Chagos archipelago, but also in the condition in which the archipelago will be returned.”

Relations between the UK, Mauritius and the Chagossians have been fraught ever since the 1,500 islanders were removed to make way for the US base in 1971.

The judgment refers to a disputed US telegram that records a meeting with British officials in 2009 in which one is alleged to have said: “BIOT’s former inhabitants would find it difficult, if not impossible, to pursue their claim for resettlement on the islands if the entire Chagos archipelago were a marine reserve”.

The ruling also confirms that in an exchange of notes between Washington and London during 1966 “kept secret at the time, the United States agreed to contribute £5m to the costs of establishing the BIOT, to be paid by waiving United Kingdom payments in respect of joint missile development programmes”.

Professor Philippe Sands QC, of Matrix Chambers, who was lead external counsel for Mauritius, said: “This is a historic and far-reaching judgment: for Mauritius, for Africa, for the international rule of law. It offers hope that Mauritius and Britain will be able to move forward to bring to an end an unhappy legacy of colonialism in the Chagos archipelago and Diego Garcia. It opens the door to a return to legality, in relation to matters of sovereignty and the conservation of a remarkable environmental space.”

Sabrina Jean of the Chagos Refugees Group in the UK said exiled islanders were now focused on the outcome of a study being conducted by the accountants KPMG on behalf of the Foreign Office.

“Our case is fighting for the right of return of the Chagossian community. We are focused on the feasibility study and what was said in it, and they have said that Chagossians could return. It depends on the study, but we are quite confident that a fair resettlement can be done. As we’ve always said, we Chagossians are ready to go.”

If there were to be a fair resettlement offer, she said, some of the Chagossians would definitely wish to return home, while others would want to visit the islands make up their minds.

The main judgment says: “The UK has not been able to provide any convincing explanation for the urgency with which it proclaimed the MPA on 1 April 2010,” and suggests that its “haste” was “dictated by the electoral timetable in the United Kingdom or an anticipated change of government”.

It adds: “Not only did the United Kingdom proceed on the flawed basis that Mauritius had no fishing rights in the territorial sea of the Chagos archipelago, it presumed to conclude—without ever confirming with Mauritius – that the MPA was in Mauritius’ interest.”

The two dissenting judges, James Kateka and Rüdiger Wolfrum, go further, referring to “language of intimidation” used by the then colonial secretary in the 1960s.

The two judges observe that: “The 1965 excision of the Chagos archipelago from Mauritius shows a complete disregard for the territorial integrity of Mauritius by the United Kingdom, which was the colonial power.

“British and American defence interests were put above Mauritius’ rights. Fast forward to 2010 and one finds a similar disregard of Mauritius’ rights, such as the total ban on fishing in the MPA. These are not accidental happenings.”

In effect, they find that the UK does not have sovereignty because the archipelago should never have been separated from Mauritius. The other three judges say the tribunal does not have jurisdiction to resolve this aspect of the issue.

In 2013, a spokesman for David Milliband told the Guardian: “The marine protected area has been a great step forward and went through all proper government processes.”

A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokesperson said: “We are pleased that the tribunal found there was no improper motive in the creation of the MPA. There is no question about UK sovereignty in the British Indian Ocean Territory; as the legitimate power, the UK is committed to working with neighbouring states, including Mauritius, to ensure proper conservation management of the marine protected area.”

“We will now work with Mauritius to explore how its fishing ambitions are compatible with conservation in the territory.”
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/m ... -islanders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howzdat

Unread post

Dear Mr. Roman,

How you doing? Is me datz how again carrying on more with this Raphael Varane: Chelsea bound at last?" lunacy.

Mr. Roman, it goes without saying that before I tek up any more of your precious time, I know seh dat you are a very busy, busy man. But I begging you to please hear me out. Mr. Roman, I guess that both you and that gentleman over in France must be gravely disappointed by goings on pon and off the field of play insofar as Chelsea and some what does go and see the team play is concerned. And so Mr. Roman, is my intention to continue to do my lil bit to for the team and the real Stamforders dem however they choose to travel.

Mr. Roman, you done see is how me and Jose singing consistently and in chorus from the same hymn sheet on this matter. So let me get to the point with regards to my going skying higher fees for the consultation I continue giving your good self on the Raphael Varane transfer.

So Mr. Roman, my fee is now lifetime membership of the MCC, 25 million Euros upfront and $1 million to invest in crude oil futures for every appearance that Varane makes for Real Madrid between now and when the transfer business is sorted out.

Yes Mr. Roman that is all.

Regards

howzdat

Ps we still keeping tabs on this one over here: http://tinyurl.com/qbdm8tf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

9783 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:46 pm
Last edited by howzdat on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
howzdat

Unread post

On matters related to cricket I am a supporter of the West Indies. The caribbean sun has baked me in its' heat. The caribbean spirit has infused itself in my personality. I walk tall and proud as someone whose allegiances are with the so-called Third World and will do so forever. The caribbean way of using language has decorated my expression and I am the wealthier for all of those.

There was something that rattled my cage a bit about the way that some folks were carrying on about Shiv and his limping ascent to becoming the highest scoring West Indian batsman. As I read things it had become a target to be achieved at all costs. It started to be spoken of in frantic, desperate terms as though it was all along his purpose, his responsibility to stand at the top of the tree as an INDIAN man on behalf of INDIANS.

In some things I can be accused of being a rebel, tending to go against the 'prevailing wind'; refusing to be swept up in any mass hysteria. And so I knew this pre-occupation with numbers could possibly end in tears ... possibly. But what I knew for certain is that I couldn't side with the ones who were going on like its his inalienable right. No way! But nothing personal...is just how i stay.

Shiv has no divine right to be west indies leading run scorer and to keep picking him solely so he could pass a certain number aint my bag and so on the strength of his performances I thought it best to drop him ... but in hindsight he could have announced his pending retirement.

Instead we have a mealy-mouthed 'rationale' penned by Lloyd who is proving to be a clone of all the other administrative jerks we have had. But they will say, howzdat we only done what you called for so shut up and suck it up.

But I never called for an undignified dismissal devoid of any trace of integrity ... but they won't hear that or even care because they have the power. Ah well.

Is Ramdin next aint it? Already I dreading the wake of every west indies team victory from now onwards.

10166 on Wed May 27, 2015 10:04 am
Gils

Unread post

" There was something that rattled my cage a bit about the way that some folks were carrying on about Shiv and his limping ascent to becoming the highest scoring West Indian batsman. As I read things it had become a target to be achieved at all costs. It started to be spoken of in frantic, desperate terms as though it was all along his purpose, his responsibility to stand at the top of the tree as an INDIAN man on behalf of INDIANS.

In some things I can be accused of being a rebel, tending to go against the 'prevailing wind'; refusing to be swept up in any mass hysteria. And so I knew this pre-occupation with numbers could possibly end in tears ... possibly. But what I knew for certain is that I couldn't side with the ones who were going on like its his inalienable right. No way! But nothing personal...is just how i stay.

Shiv has no divine right to be west indies leading run scorer and to keep picking him solely so he could pass a certain number aint my bag and so on the strength of his performances I thought it best to drop him ... but in hindsight he could have announced his pending retirement. "

Co sign. All the stories of idol worship I've ever witnessed finish with a bad ending :!: