West Indies cricket discussions
BallOil

Unread post

South Africa won by 7 wickets

West Indies 231 & 161

South Africa 346 & 49/3 (8.4 ov)
BallOil

Unread post

Chanders has a chat with Kallis who nods. The players are shaking hands. Will Kallis and Roach do it?! Roach looks in no mood and is walking away when Kallis calls out for him and extends his right arm. Roach accepts and both hold the pose. It doesn't look too friendly though! Well, we can't say anything definite from the tv visuals but the handshake seems a perfunctory gesture to me. Kallis says something as he turns and walks away and AB steps in quickly. He puts a hand on Kallis' shoulder and gently nudges him away. He then puts his hands around Roach who warms up to him. And even smiles. Stop the press I say. Both talk for a short while. Good stuff from AB. He must have felt a sense of deja-vu here.

Here is an excerpt from an old interview: with AB.

Question ... there was an incident with Ricky Ponting as well, wasn't there? Did it motivate you in some way?

AB de Villiers "It happened when I was new to international cricket. Ponting had just hit a century and, during the break, I tapped him on the shoulder and congratulated him. He looked at me, shook his head and turned away in a dismissive way. I felt like an idiot as I walked away but then Glenn McGrath ran up to me. He told me not to worry too much; Ponting might be his captain and someone he respected but what he did to me was wrong. Look, I have no problem with Ponting. He was obviously busy and probably focussed on his game and ignored me. I don't hold it against him. He is a brilliant player. But I developed a lot of respect for Glenn after that and I'm fortunate enough to know him now. But yes, it did motivate me. I had a hell of a lot to point to prove and the last time I went there I did decently and this time I did really well. I had a point to prove not only to Ponting but to the whole country over there."

Back in the here and now, please wait for the quotes from the post-match ceremony

GAyle : The first innings total wasn't good .. we batted poorly and it put us in the back foot. There were a few injuries here and there put us back. Chanderpaul batted very well. Credit must go to them (SA). There is a high performance centre here and hope some youngsters will come through. It has been disappointing how we have played this series. Its tough as a captain .. you think you are going to support from a particular person but you find out you are not getting that support."

Wonder who he was talking about there. Hmmm

Man of the match is Botha: Its very nice. I got my chance and luckily I used it. There was turn and bounce. I always enjoyed ODI cricket. Harris has done excellent job in the last few years. He is still our No 1 spinner and I helped him out this match.

Man of the series is Dale Steyn: "There was a little bit more bounce here. I have been on the road for 5 months now and really looking forward to go back home. Morne has been fantastic. He came ouf and bowled well against England. He did it here was well. I am very glad we have another guy firing. The body has held up well. Hope it holds up in the streets of Barbados tonight!"

Smith: "It has been a terrific tour for us. You can;t argue with our results on this tour. We asked each other step it out after the show in the T20 World Cup. The Test side has been successful for a very long time. It was great to have options here (Botha). There were a few left-handers and he bowled well. " He then talks about preserving Steyn and Morkel, not over bowling them and stuff.

The South African players now walk across to get their medals. Smith now walks up to collect the cheque and the trophy. And poses for a photograph. He then calls his entire squad across for more photographs. "C'mon boys," says Smith. Lots of smiles around as you would expect.
mikesiva

Unread post

When will disciplinary action be taken against the 'spitting' Dale Steyn?
:?
BallOil

Unread post

mikesiva wrote:When will disciplinary action be taken against the 'spitting' Dale Steyn?
:?
exactly...what is taking so long? :?
mikesiva

Unread post

We have a thread on the issue here....

http://www.cricket-match-special.com/vi ... f=4&t=3355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bally and others, I'd love to hear your views.
BallOil

Unread post

mikesiva wrote:We have a thread on the issue here....

http://www.cricket-match-special.com/vi ... f=4&t=3355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bally and others, I'd love to hear your views.
what is there to discuss? as you see, there are double standards. :) what was Benny punishment in Oz? This offense by Steyn was much worse... :?