How to get in trouble as a cricket captain......?

West Indies cricket discussions
BallOil

Unread post

Good luck on your picks....hope you are right on and mek a few $$$ 8-)
matchstick

Unread post

any updates on the analysis to prove me wrong by that one fella? 8-)

he still racin horses etc?
BallOil

Unread post

yes...look at the game today...here
mapoui

Unread post

and what about this...from strauss no less..sending the Oz in and getting his arse cut!

http://www.cricinfo.com/england-v-austr ... 65347.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
matchstick

Unread post

mapoui wrote:and what about this...from strauss no less..sending the Oz in and getting his arse cut!

http://www.cricinfo.com/england-v-austr ... 65347.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for admitting that you don't understand the concept of individual occurrence and trends...

in that case there is not help for you... :lol: :lol:
mapoui

Unread post

is yur math foolproof matchstick....the concepts you proffer here beyond dispute?

isnt all that contingent upon what is known, the facts and stats considered....always subject to reconsideration, revision, improvement etc.?

isnt there a reason why prior to India socring 406 to win a test match in the fourth innings it had never been done... and the next best was some early 300 hundreds or less?

and since India did it, 400+ in a fourth innings to win a game has happened only once or twice...2-3 times in more than 100 years of test cricket?

when all that may be considered extraneous is sifted it remains the most difficult of all innings... the fourth... and it is to be avoided if at all possible. the captain who needlessly sends in his oppostion usually pays a steep price for it, unless he walks with batteries of Lillees, Holdings, Garners, Marshalls etc

I have never seen, in a regular situation, with 2 decently matched sides, the side giving up the toss come back to win in any kind of regular conditions.

Saffie smith did it and lost....Nasser Hussein did it and lost, Gayle did it at the ARG and ended up hanging on for dear life...and that in the most supportive of batting conditions, even on the last day.

hooper did it at the ARG too and ended up hanging on for dear life.....

the only westindian I know did not win in a fourth innings was Sobers who declared and gave england the upper hand when he did not have the bowlers to win the game. his main strike bowlers injured Sobers opened with Lloyd and himself, with only gibbs to come... and england cantered home.

sobers at sabina same tour gave england the fourth innings and the worst of the pitch and almost pulled off a miraclus victory as time ran out. and again that same series engand last test holding on for dear life at Bourda 9 for 200+ fourth innings

I can go on and on but my contention that the fourth innings in test cricket has proven to be the toughest of innings and it is to be avoided at all costs, is right...especially sides like the westindies that have few real quality resources.

often it does not matter where westindies bat we still lose. but our approach must be right.... dont win tosses and send the oppostion in willy nilly. it is hardly the most wise thing to do, according to all cricket experience.

that has been my experience. do what you wish with it matchstick
Last edited by mapoui on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mapoui

Unread post

hey matchstick!!! why dont you become the skipper of a cricket side and keep sending in your opposition...100% of the time?

do it man! it would be good for the team! :lol: :lol: :lol: