How to get in trouble as a cricket captain......?

West Indies cricket discussions
mapoui

Unread post

...keep sending in the oppostion when you win the toss!
##############

Zimbabwe 183 & 322/7 (88.0 ov)

West Indies A 280

Zimbabwe lead by 225 runs with 3 wickets remaining

the surest way to lose games is to insist on batting fourth innings. in no form of cricket is batting last even a statistical value.

the fourth innings at any level of the cricket has been the poorest of all innings. the stats determine that unless a team has overwhelming bowling and batting power, the it is the most wise policy to bat first, giving whatever target to the team that bats last.

by sending zimbabwe in first and unable to capitalise their first time westindies will have to make some 250 in the fourth innings to win, with time enough to get westindies out unless the rain falls. if westindies could make only 280 first time they wont make 250 in the fourth.

miracles can happen but not usually. westindies can win if we get lucky but the odds are nto in our favour.

where did Dowling learn his captaincy?

from gayle I guess! no freakin wonder!

were I williams and Gibson I would pass a law...that for any westindies team A or B or for gayles team...no sending in the oppostion regardless of the conditions. even if the pitch is green to begin with westindies does not have the power to run through teams bowling, and insufficient batting power to make soemthing of a last innings in a four or five day game...

give it up guys. face reality! we dont have it and until we do we must do the sensible thing: BAT FIRST!
BallOil

Unread post

Mapoui
Spot on!...you hit all the nails down with your sledge hammer post 8-)
Huckle

Unread post

How to get out of trouble as a cricket captain......?

Give it up... :lol:
mapoui

Unread post

for the life of me I dont understand gow these guys cyar learn from experience....

whats wrong with them? they cant read and learn!

I stood and watched in amazement westindian tactics last year against england after we won the first test.

it was as if westindies decided to do everyhting they possibly could to give the series back to england including sending england in to bat at the OLD ARG, when the new one was declared unfit.

Gayle and Dyson sent englnad into bat on the OLD ARG...one of the best batting pitches in the history of test cricket.

now the insanity has infected even the lower levels..sending in the oppostion and placing on oneself the most onerous task in test cricket,,batting last to save or win a test match

is that an example fo the self-hate westindians are famous for?
BallOil

Unread post

maybe these guys are not cut out to be cappo?

It seems that the selectors/WI board selecting the cappo so they should tek some responsibility too
mapoui

Unread post

the board responsible?

really this is very simple as far as I see...a question of common sense and normal intelligence, a simple assesment of the relative quality of the sides involed...your own and the opposition...and knowledge of the game.

the first thing is the statistical fact that batting in a fourth innings is a must to avoid. thats why there is a toss to decide who bats first.

I dont know why this is so but a few facts come to mind the first of which is the pitch deterioration that gives the side bowling in the fourth innings an advantage.

next is that the side batting last is always under pressure unless they have some small total to get. and even 100 as westindies used to prove, was hard for sides to get against us to win in the fourth innings.

energy must play a part as well for teams are tired and if you have to save or win a game in that innings you have to call on reserves that are prolly exhausted.

but whatever combimnation of facts makes it so the stats over a very long period of time establishes an undeniable reality...batting last does not pay, so it is wise if you can avoid that fate do so at all costs!

now when you have champion sides like westindies used to have and the Oz many times too, it does not matter who wins the toss, who bats first or last, the type of wicket, green or dry...nothng matters because you have the players who can overcome any challenge the game has to offer.

but when you have regular, average sides as most nations do most of the time, you have to play accordingly.

so if you win the toss you have to bat!

you have to compare any disadvantage you may face batting first, first day, to the disadvantage of batting last. batting first is alway better for if you give away some small advantage on the first day you get it back on the last.

the quality of the side you have must decide for you. sometimes the conditions decide for you. if you are playing anywhere in the westindies, especially in antigua, you have to bat first.

when I saw westindies sending in england to bat on featherbed westindian wickets I knew that finally, our cricket had gone stark, raving mad! and everytime we we did that we ended up struggling to save the game

everytime we send in sides we end up losing or struggling to save. yet westindian captains keep doing the same losing thing over and over.

simple experience should open them up to the possibility that "hey! are we doing something wrong here, sending in sides to bat when we win the toss :? what do the records say :? "

this thing is like first grade as far as I see! isnt it better for Zimbabwe to have to be chasing 225 and counting in the fourth innigs than we :?

would'nt everything be in our favour on that last day with the opposition having to chase to save or win :?

of course! :D

and that would have been the case for westindies A, had Dowling batted first! :D
mapoui

Unread post

West Indies A v Zimbabwe

West Indies A won by 6 wickets

we pulled this one out then. but I hope no more of this nonsense
matchstick

Unread post

mapoui wrote:...keep sending in the oppostion when you win the toss!
##############

give it up guys. face reality! we dont have it and until we do we must do the sensible thing: BAT FIRST!

only and idiot would win the toss and chose to bat first on a day when rain delayed play for almost a whole session.

The right call on that toss was reflected on the score Zim got in the 1st innings and eventually the Win.

From a west indies batting stand point it is great experience to have our guys bat last and develop some sort of ability to play spin.
BallOil

Unread post

mapoui,

I'm in total agreement with your lil post above... You are on the ball...school em 8-)
BallOil

Unread post

matchstick wrote:
only and idiot would win the toss and chose to bat first on a day when rain delayed play for almost a whole session.

The right call on that toss was reflected on the score Zim got in the 1st innings and eventually the Win.
mapoui, is talking in general..and I agree with him. If we check the stats...team batting first win most of of time or chance of drawing ...unless you are a strong team...

Why is it that the highest suspenseful 4th innings chase in test is WI 418?