Proud of his accomplishments, retiring Leon Johnson credits teamwork for success

West Indies cricket discussions
Newsram

Unread post

ImageAs Guyana Harpy Eagles basked in the glory of being crowned champions of Regional First-Class cricket, their retiring captain, Leon Johnson, felt proud of his team’s performance throughout the action-packed season. It is the sixth title out of eight seasons since the Professional Cricket League commenced in the 2014-15 season for Johnson. The ebullient Johnson had the honor of raising the Headley-Weekes Trophy, capping off the final day of his professional career on Saturday at the National Stadium, Providence. This came moments after his team performed a miracle with the ball to bowl out Leeward Islands Hurricanes on an eventful final morning. Chasing 143 to win, the Hurricanes started the day on 81-1, and at 91-1, they looked set for a comfortable victory. However, off-spinner Kevin Sinclair with an incredible spell of bowling removed key Leewards batsmen and caused a collapse. Filled with emotions after his team achieved the remarkable comeback, Johnson received the Headley-Weekes trophy from Enoch Lewis, Cricket West Indies Director. ImageIt was an emotional final day for Leon Johnson “This was a great performance … a great team performance and I’m massively proud of everyone who contributed towards us winning. We worked hard before the season, and we worked hard throughout this season. We were really tested in this final match, and we responded to the challenge with a magnificent win,” Johnson said. “One of the great things about the season was the progress made by the young players in the team. At various times, they stood up with major performances and that was great to see. We made progress.” He further stated, “tribute to the senior players who also led from the front, offered invaluable advice, and made my job as captain easier on and off the field.” “Thanks to the fans and all those persons who backed us from start to finish. As a proud Guyanese, I retire from the game lifting this prestigious trophy and also happy that I can bring smiles to the faces of the supporters.” ImageChampions again! Guyana Harpy Eagles won their sixth Four-Day title in the PCL era The 35-year-old, who made his First-Class debut in 2004, went on to play 127 matches and racked up 6,741 runs at an average of 32.56 with seven hundreds and 42 half-centuries. In the 50-over format, he has played 88 matches and scored 2, 040 runs at 25.82 with two centuries and 14 half-centuries. He also played 15 matches (nine Tests and six One-Day Internationals) for the West Indies.  (Modified from SportsMax)

Source: https://newsroom.gy/2023/04/03/proud-of ... r-success/