**** Phil Hughes Dies ****

Action from the rest of the world....
bossman19TT

Unread post

Mail wrote:Helmets are for protection and we have seen players being hit on the head and walk off so it serves it purpose
Exactly.

Very foolish of Maps to argue against helmets :roll: ....helmets will NEVER offer full protection, but point is de protection offered is much, much better then nothing! How many times do we see batsmen get hit on de helmet...quite a lot! Now imagine dem same blows on an unprotected skull...de damage would be FAR worse! Case in point SHIV vs Aus...dat was a mighty blow vs Brett Lee. One does not want to imagine de damage sans helmet.

Helmets will never be perfect. Risk will always be present, especially in a sport like cricket. De key is to reduce de chance of a negative outcome, which is exactly what a helmet is for, and for which is serves its purpose.
Mail

Unread post

19TT,

It is arguable about batsmen techniques have deteriorated but it did not seem the right time, whilst we mourn ths Young man's death.

There is no conspiracy by helmet manufacturers!

If you compare Hughes and Shiv, you will see Hughes being very upright playing a shot but the ball got onto him a bit quicker! Shiv was very poor in ducking into the ball and for me that incident seemed worse.

This situation is tragic but as sad and desperate as it is right now, this was the way and time for Phil to go. We can only hope something good comes out of this tragedy!

On a more practical note, as cricketers we are always hesitant to change an item of gear, especially when it has served us well. I cannot say definitively, but I believe the 2014 edition of the Masuri Helmets do offer more protection to the neck area.

The baseball style helmets are being viewed as an option but time will tell. I feel hesitant to say this but helmets are not there to allow poor technique or to head butt projectiles coming at 90 mph etc.

People talking about profiteering at the expense of players are being very misguided and quite inappropriate.

I do recall Phil coming to Middlesex and scored a ridiculous number of runs in 3 games or so. His technique was improved in recent times but he seemed a cheeky chappy and an all round good bloke.
mapoui2

Unread post

Very foolish of Maps to argue against helmets :roll: ....helmets will NEVER offer full protection, but point is de protection offered is much, much better then nothing! How many times do we see batsmen get hit on de helmet...quite a lot! Now imagine dem same blows on an unprotected skull...de damage would be FAR worse! Case in point SHIV vs Aus...dat was a mighty blow vs Brett Lee. One does not want to imagine de damage sans helmet.
come on Bossman! I have some soft cheese cloths here for cleaning my glasses. I can spaer 1 or 2 to help wipe yours so you can see clearly.

I am nowhere near against against helmets...just the the helmets currently in use are totally inadequate.

I have no idea what you and Mail are arguing against. it has nothing to do with individual batting style..nothing to do with anything at save what it is... A SAFETY ISSUE.

a safety issue was dislimned during the days of the west indian wall of extreme pace..along with accompanying pace from just about all cricketing countries at the time. that same issue had been simmering for long and at that time it ending up in protective gear being legalized as an essential part of the game
it is a safety issue..it was a safety isseu that finally in the 19- eighties cold be addressed by modern technology in cricket. batsmen can get killed by pace and in an age of express pace routine in the game that was the response
mapoui2

Unread post

There is no conspiracy by helmet manufacturers!
another problem is that you Mail keep defining what I say in your way and beating me upside my head with it. I never defined a conspiracy theory...I accused the designers/manufactures of fraud and profiteering in the cricket helmet business.

look here man: FRAUD AND PROFITEERING IS THE NATURE OF BIZNESS...THAT iS HOW BIZNESS IS DONE.
LOOK AROUND AND SEE THE FRAUD UNDER INDICTMENT IN COURST OF LAW ALL OVER. DO SOME BIZNESS HISTORY AND SEE. TAKE THE CASE OF THALIDOMIDE FOR EXAMPLE.

THAT IS A VERY SERIOUS ONE INDEED. THALIDOMIDE WAS A CHEMICAL THAT INDUSTRY PROMOTED FOR MORNING SICKNESS IN PREGNANT WOMEN..A MOST NATURAL REACTION TO BEING PREGNANT. NO ONE ASKED THEN FOR IT.THEY MADE IT AND MARKETED IT AND IT RESULTED IN THE DESTRUCTION OF ALMOST AN ENTIRE GENERATION OF WESTERN WOMEN WHO COULD AFFORD THAT PRODUCT

that development led to a fight to put in checks and balances against manufacturers for they wold make and sell any dam thing for profit..as long as they could get away with it

I DON KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ALLYUH..YOU TWO MAIL AND BOSSMAN. :roll: :roll: :roll:

IT IS NECESSARY TO BE SKEPTICAL OF MANUFACTURES..IT IS ESSENTIAL TO USE OUR BRAINS IN ALL AND EVERY SITUATION TO SEE WHATS GOING ON... TO CRITICIZE, TO FOLLOW UP AND RESEARCH, SO WE KNOW ABOUT ANY DAM THING BEFORE WE USE IT IF POSSIBLE...IN USING IT... TO DETECT HOW EFFECTIVE IT IS, OR DEFECTIVE IT IS.. CAUSE ITS IMPROVEMENT IF WE DISCOVER THAT PRODUCT IS HARMFUL..OR STOP USING IT ALL TOGETHER

IT IS UP TO US TO PROTECT OURSELVES FROM ANY DAM THING ..US CONSUMERS..YOU EVER OF OF BUYER BEWARE :o :o :o :o

THAT IS A COINAGE OUT OF THE CONSUMER EXPERIENCE OF BUYING THINGS FOR MONEY WE SWEAT TO EARN T FIND THAT ARE USELESS AND ARE SCAMS BY MANUFACTURES/RETAILERS TO PROFIT AT OUT COLLECTIVE EXPENSE.

what the heall are you all beating up on me for. I am a conspiracy theorist...I am too ealry in my critiques. I shud wait out of respect for the dead

dam nonsense! I am on time and right...and most importantly routine. my response is absolutely normal and routine relative to regular human behavior and response in such circumstances
mapoui2

Unread post

for a problem at hand manufacturers bounded and disciplined by their bottom lines will can and do often respond with manufactures insufficient to meet the perceived need.

the question is: will the people buy it anyway, will they know whats going on, are they sophisticated enough to understand whats going on and so protect themselves:roll: :roll:

what I see here is a player suffering a blow to a part of his head, unprotected by the available helmetry and died. instantly I recognized a ridiculous situation that should have been addressed from the start by those who make helmets...side-on is not fully protected and that the batsman enjoys a false sense of protection from the helmet he is using..which helmet offers in fact little no protection at all

from simple, easy, obvious evidence in front of out eyes, for all to see that is indeed the case and the designers of the helmets in use MUST HAVE KNOWN THIS..UNLESS THEY ARE INCOMPETENT, IDIOTIC, STUPID, MYOPIC, HAVE SIGHT PROBLEMS LIKE BOSSMAN.

the are making a defective product..rather a useless product and selling it for money..and a player died..not to mention countless injury every day that the helmet is supposed to protect against..

THE OBVIOUS RESPONSE IS TO NOTE THE USELESS AND DANGEROUS QUALITY OF THE DAM PRODUCT IN USE, AND IMMEDIATELY FIND ALTERNATIVES..REDESIGN IN LIGHT OF NEW DEVELOPMENTS, EVIDENCE OF WHAT IN FACT MUST BE PROTECTED AND IS NOT PROTECTED WITH THE CURRENT DESIGN...AND FIND NEW MORE DURABLE MATERIALS THAT ARE LIGHT YET STRONG AND FLEXIBLE
BallOil

Unread post

very sad to hear of Hughes... another talented cricketer gone too soon
BallOil

Unread post

Phillip Hughes funeral to take place on Wednesday 3 December

The Hughes family has confirmed funeral arrangements for their son Phillip.

The funeral will take place at 2.00pm on Wednesday 3 December in the Hughes family’s home town of Macksville in northern New South Wales.

It will be held in the sports hall of Macksville High School where Phillip was educated. Given the limited capacity in the hall, overflow areas will be made available for guests to watch the service via vision screens set up on the school’s two ovals.

The service will be broadcast live by the Nine Network with provisions made for all other television networks.

ABC Local Radio and the Fairfax Radio Network will also broadcast the service live around the country. It will also be streamed live on Cricket Australia’s website and app.

Qantas has scheduled two additional B737 services between Sydney and Coffs Harbour on Wednesday to assist people wishing to attend the funeral. Qantas has provided these services purely on a cost recovery basis. Additional services may be scheduled in coming days.

The journey from Coffs Harbour to Macksville is approximately 45 minutes by car.

CA Chief Executive James Sutherland said: “We are grateful to the Australian community for the overwhelming show of support it has extended to the Hughes family in recent days.

“The offers of assistance for Wednesday’s service have been remarkable.

“While we know that people from all around the nation want to pay their respects to Phillip, there will only be limited capacity in Macksville, so the work of our broadcasters will help ensure people around the country can follow the service on TV, radio and online.”

Cricket Australia kindly asks that the privacy of the Hughes family and friends continue to be respected in the lead up to Wednesday’s funeral.

The SCG Trust and Adelaide Oval will also show Phillip's funeral service live on their big screens.

First Test will not start on Thursday 4 December

Cricket Australia has announced that the first Commonwealth Bank Test match between Australia and India will not start on Thursday 4 December as scheduled.

Details around the Test match are still to be determined.

Sutherland said: “These are extraordinary circumstances and we simply couldn’t or wouldn’t expect our players to be emotionally ready to start a Test match the day after farewelling one of their teammates.

“Their welfare is our absolute priority. They are grieving and to expect that they could play a high-pressured, five-day Test match the following day is out of the question.

“We appreciate the incredible understanding and support of the Board of Control for Cricket in India. It has been nothing short of outstanding during these difficult times.

“We fully acknowledge the many groups who want to know when the Test will take place, particularly cricket fans in Queensland, Queensland Cricket and Stadiums Queensland.

“We just ask the cricket community for some patience as we work through a range of scenarios in full consultation with the players, the Indian Board, the ICC and our broadcasters.

“We hope to resolve all matters in the next few days and will let cricket fans and the game’s many important stakeholders know as a priority.”

Ticket sales for the Test have been suspended.

“We know that there are many people who have purchased tickets to the Test match who will be wondering what happens next? Once the situation has been resolved, we will advise them as a priority,” Sutherland said.

“Fans should simply hold onto their tickets until further notice.”

ACA Chief Executive Alastair Nicholson said: “After consulting with the players, we have communicated to Cricket Australia that the opportunity to farewell their team mate is the priority, and the prospect of them playing the following day is simply too big an ask.

"The players are going through a grieving process and they must be afforded the opportunity to do so. As anyone can appreciate, this process doesn’t run according to a clock or a calendar.

"This is a unique situation and a unique response is required. We will continue to discuss options with the players and Cricket Australia over the coming days."

A meeting will be held early next week to discuss arrangements for round five of the Bupa Sheffield Shield which is due to start on Friday 5 December.
BallOil

Unread post

Michael Clarke statement (on behalf of Australian cricket team) regarding Phillip Hughes

Australian captain Michael Clarke made the following statement in Sydney this morning on behalf of the Australian cricket team and its support staff regarding Phillip Hughes.

Words cannot express the loss we all feel as a team right now.

To Greg, Virginia, Jason and Megan, we share in the deep pain that you’re feeling.

Apart from when he was home on the farm with his beloved cattle, Hughesy was at his happiest playing cricket for his country with his mates

Things were always put into perspective when Hughesy said, ‘Where else would you rather be boys but playing cricket for your country?’

We are going to miss that cheeky grin and that twinkle in his eye.

He epitomised what the baggy green is about and what it means to us all.

The world lost one of its great blokes this week and we are all poorer for it.

Our promise to the Hughes family is that we will do everything we can to honour his memory.

Last night I asked Cricket Australia if Hughesy’s Australian one-day international shirt number, 64, could be retired, to which they agreed. It means so much.

His legacy of trying to improve each and every day will drive us for the rest of our lives.

We’d like to thank everyone, both here and overseas, for the touching tributes to Hughesy in recent days.

Our dressing room will never be the same.

We loved him and always will.

Rest in Peace, Brussy.
bossman19TT

Unread post

Maps, Mail..allyuh does read? Or jus pick out what allyuh want an twist it? Mail goin on about battin technique..I say anyting about battin technique? I was talkin about helmets. An Maps showin complete ignorance wit he skull cap/helmet comment..

My point was about helmets serving a purpose, purpose being to reduce (READ REDUCE, NOT FULLY PROTECT AGAINST) damage in case of a blow! Nowhere did I say helmets offer full protection, an it would be foolish to ever think full protection is even possible. Absolutely everyting comes wit some sort of risk! Especially a sport like cricket.

Maps was comparin a helmet to a skull cap in church :lol: hence my point about helmets not bein perfect (impossible), yet still servin a purpose.
mapoui2

Unread post

well there is a baseball helmet Bossman that appears capable of solving the head injury problem in cricket.

I had been arguing that next door and I don't know if I mentioned it here previously.

they make helmets in baseball side-on with protection down and around to cover the area where Hughes got hit...and a bit more. had Hughes been wearing one of those he would be fine today

that's right borse! they make such helmets for right and left handers..one sided on the right for left handers..on the left for right handers..protection on the side exposed to the bowler/pitcher fully. it does not come down to anywhere near the shoulder and in no way restricts movement

that is one reason why I am so shocked abut the cricket helmet. it is not as if there are no other games with similar problems to cricket, which were addressed in a much better manner by helmetry

that is why I am so much on the makers, calling them all manner of names. that problem seems so simple, clear and obvious to me that they would make a cricket helmet so unlike a baseball helmet to protect the back of the head as well is stunning

realize the cricket game we are talking about..then go see the baseball helmet..and tell me then how dotish, chupid, arsine, purpose..and every nasty word you can think of to describe what the makers of cricket helmets are..given the evidence: the very cricket helmets sold all over the world