**** Phil Hughes Dies ****

Action from the rest of the world....
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

mapoui2 wrote:was Hughes wearing a helmet :o
aren't helmets designed and built to protect against this very development :roll:

are the selling thousands and thousands of helmets under false pretenses :?
The delivery that caused the injury that killed Hughes struck him on the neck immediately below his left ear:

The blow to his neck compressed his vertebral artery - one of the main arteries that leads to the brain - causing it to split and bleed into the brain.

Phillip Hughes: Australia batsman the victim of 'incredibly rare' injury (click for more)

Phillip Hughes' doctors reveal ball split artery which led to 'catastrophic' bleeding on the brain (click for more)
Mail

Unread post

Bossman&&TT,

I was agreeing with you and then went on to talk about technique.

Get your comprehension correct before you comment on my post, with the utmost respect. of course!
mapoui2

Unread post

Baseball hats. anyone of these would have made a positive difference for Hughes. any helmet built like these would have saved Hughes.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/famil ... Id=4414321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and there are even better ones that would eliminate any possibility of such an Injury. soon I will find an example
mapoui2

Unread post

the actual helmet must come down to cover the whole back side of the head where Hughes got hit. its as simple as that.

I DON'T KNOW WHY THERE IS ANY DAM DEBATE ABOUT THIS. IT IS CLEAR, SIMPLE, OBVIOUS. WHAT THE EFF IS MASURI GOING ON ABOUT. IT IS EITHER THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE A PROPER HELMET OR PUSH OFF.

ANY DAM BASEBALL BATTING HELMET COVERS THAT AREA OF THE HEAD. THEY ARE THERE FOR A TO SEE....BASEBALL HELMETS

deh keep talking abut freak accident. as if that means it will never happen again..ought not to have happened because it was FREAK! that's dam nonsense. if it can happen it will so build the dam helmet to account for all possible injury
Last edited by mapoui2 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
mapoui2

Unread post

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/ ... 05155.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Player safety
Safe helmets, a work in progress
There is one question bound to resonate loudest in the aftermath of Phillip Hughes' death. Are helmets in professional cricket adequately equipped and designed to protect the batsman's face and head? With no international standards in place, there is no certain answer.

A study conducted by Dr Craig Ranson, a sports physiotherapist at Cardiff Metropolitan University, as part of a wider project commissioned by the ICC in 2011 on improving helmet standards found that significant head and facial injuries continue to occur despite the protection.

Ranson, who was then part of the ICC medical panel and continues to be a consultant, recommended that cricket helmet design and "associated National and International Safety Standards should be improved to provide increased protection against head injury related to ball impact to the grille and shell of the helmet." His team pointed out that as recently as 2013 outdated specification standards dating back to the late 1990s were being used worldwide during the testing phase while making helmets.

With no global regulation in place, manufacturers in various countries have relied on the two main safety standards: British, which underwent a massive upgrade in December 2013 from the previous one instituted in 1997, and Australia-New Zealand, which has remained the same from 1998.

Although the ICC declined ESPNcricinfo's request for an interview with Ranson at the moment, information from a paper he had co-authored and published in the February 2013 issue of British Journal of Sports Medicine found that the three primary modes of failure related to helmets were:

The ball bursting between the peak of the helmet and the grille
The grille itself deforming and making contact with the face
Contact around the side and the back of the helmet
Gils

Unread post

Phillip Hughes, may you rest in peace.
MarcusGarveyLives

Unread post

What a difference a year makes ...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michael Clarke, captain of Australia, 24 November 2013

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michael Clarke, captain of Australia, 29 November 2014
Mail

Unread post

I am not sure any sort of head protection could have prevented this one.

Sad as it is, this was his time and i simnply pray he rests in eternal peace.

He will always be 25 and not out!
Mail

Unread post

I was cogitating the issue of death from injuries sustained on the cricket field and then thought of Raman Lamba in 1998, fielding, and then an ex county player bought the following to my attention which happened last year!

http://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/hit- ... ndall-dies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mapoui2

Unread post

man dig deep willya. there are lots of 'tragic accidents'

I used to play cricket..open bat. I got my fair share of blows. ..throat, chest, knee through the pad..never head doh.

it happens ALL THE TIME! we are extremely lucky in cricket that more players do not die..prolly due to great batting skill and ability to duck, to get outta the way

I TELL YOU AGAIN MAIL THAT THE BASEBALL HELMET WOULD HAVE SAVED HUGHES. THAT HELMET COVERS UP THE LOCATION ON HIS HEAD WHERE HE GOT HIT. AT THE VERY LEAST IT WOULD HAVE DEFLECTED THE FORCE OF THE BALL, MITIGATED THE DAMAGE AND SAVED HIS LIFE

ALSO A SMALL EXTENSION ON THE BATTING SIDE-ON OF THAT HELMET WOULD DO THE TRICK TOTALLY..PROTECT THE WHOLE SIDE OF THE HEAD EXPOSED TO THE BOWLER

you dont appear to be aware of how manufactures go do you..despite all the business history to support my claim....the designers develop all manner of choices then the manufactures go through the choices, with the accountants, often redesign and decide whats most profitable and build that regardless..deciSion by profit margin..not safety margin

then inevitably when the death and damage comes, and the protest and class action suits, the improvement can come. but the people have to fight for those improvements, organize and go to court and so on

and in the process it is discovered or leaked by an insider...that the Muthers and dem had all the safety specks and designs all the time, but were concerned only with profit

HOW MANY TIMES MUST THAT HAPPEN FOR YOU TO SEE IT AS A CONSISTENT PATTERN :o :roll: